Lake Erie Walleye Report 8-25-13

corvette1

Just curious... Is it normal to harvest these large walleye on Erie...???

I get my fare share of 25"+ walleye here... But they all go back.... I prefer smaller fish for eating... And that's the general idea here... Most guys release anything over 24-25"...

It just seams every report from Erie has a picture of 6-7-8-9 pounders being harvested...

I'm in no way trying to bum out your report... Im just curious... It seams weird to me to eat an 8 pounder.... I find this interesting....

ok doug, no im pissed lol! as you can see from my earlier ? on trying to dial in on the walleye "great job." sounds like dipsy divers for me it is . was this east,west or central lake erie. just out of curiosity and where did you go out of? care to share depths of water you were in

were you using worm harness or hardware

cheers rocky

I get my fare share of 25"+ walleye here... But they all go back.... I prefer smaller fish for eating... And that's the general idea here... Most guys release anything over 24-25"...

It just seams every report from Erie has a picture of 6-7-8-9 pounders being harvested...

I'm in no way trying to bum out your report... Im just curious... It seams weird to me to eat an 8 pounder.... I find this interesting....

Since Erie is chalk full of fish that size, it is normal to catch them that big. Also, unlike many other bodies of water, Lake Erie Pickereyes taste great in that size range as well.

I agree that in most bosies of water, biggins get put back... Erie is an acception to the rule.

HH

Edit to add.... NICE CATCH!!!! Tummy is growling already!

Edited by Headhunter

the majority of fish caught in the central basin are over 24" and out of the last couple dozen of walleye i've caught out of burwell only 1 fish has been below 20" with the average being 25-27" for me. erie's average size is much larger than the northern lakes where i always caught walleye while camping growing up. the bigger fish do taste just as great as the smaller ones out of erie.

Saying that Erie's walleye population is healthy with a majority of fish over two feet does not add up to me. Would'nt a healthy population have equal amounts of every year class? Something seems fishy! Yes, I understand they grow quicker in Erie but you should still be catching a good amount of smaller and medium ones if the population was indeed healthy.....What's going on? Is our American brothers only releasing 5 pounders? No... Are there so many ski's they are eating up the little ones? I don't know, maybe? Just an observation... Any thoughts on this?

That being said if you cut up the large fillets in scallop size pieces and wrap them in bacon, barbecue, with sauce, they taste great!

Good going on the harvest!

Friend of mine explained that Erie fish (like Lake O fish too) reach sexual maturity young at 2-3 years and are older and nearly dead by 9-10 years. A northern fish, such as the ones people might catch on fly-ins to wherever, reach sexual maturity around 9-10 years old and live 25-30 years. When working in Moosonee I called those responsible for "The Guide To Eating Ontario Sportfish" and asked why is consumption higher and considered more safe for Lake Erie fish than for pristine northern fish such as those I was eating from Kesagami. Response, mercury levels are higher in northern fish not only because of their age to growth rate, but also because of most importantly, the rotting of coniferous vegetation and slow drainage everywhere in the area.

Lake Erie fish are younger, cleaner, bigger and actually better fish for you to eat, than those that ole Darryl would sample while fishing in paradise.

Great haul Doug. That's a whole lotta food for thought.

Saying that Erie's walleye population is healthy with a majority of fish over two feet does not add up to me. Would'nt a healthy population have equal amounts of every year class? Something seems fishy! Yes, I understand they grow quicker in Erie but you should still be catching a good amount of smaller and medium ones if the population was indeed healthy.....What's going on? Is our American brothers only releasing 5 pounders? No... Are there so many ski's they are eating up the little ones? I don't know, maybe? Just an observation... Any thoughts on this?

That being said if you cut up the large fillets in scallop size pieces and wrap them in bacon, barbecue, with sauce, they taste great!

Good going on the harvest!

Good point, smaller fish don't exist here, if you have a Walleye on it will be at least 20". I believe the smaller fish just don't school suspended with the big guys, tribs will hold smaller fish but these guys are the migratory fish that move from the western basin in July and return at the end of August. The smaller fish most likely don't make that migration until mature. But then again I missed about 4 years of Biology in University.

thank's to every one i fished out of dunkirk ny 82ft with worm harness.fact is open trolling on erie put's big fish in the boat if i don't keep them the gill netter's will.people who take charters on erie want big eye's.the last # i herd was 8 million walleye's

Edited by corvette1

Friend of mine explained that Erie fish (like Lake O fish too) reach sexual maturity young at 2-3 years and are older and nearly dead by 9-10 years. A northern fish, such as the ones people might catch on fly-ins to wherever, reach sexual maturity around 9-10 years old and live 25-30 years. When working in Moosonee I called those responsible for "The Guide To Eating Ontario Sportfish" and asked why is consumption higher and considered more safe for Lake Erie fish than for pristine northern fish such as those I was eating from Kesagami. Response, mercury levels are higher in northern fish not only because of their age to growth rate, but also because of most importantly, the rotting of coniferous vegetation and slow drainage everywhere in the area.

Lake Erie fish are younger, cleaner, bigger and actually better fish for you to eat, than those that ole Darryl would sample while fishing in paradise.

Great haul Doug. That's a whole lotta food for thought.

Very interesting