looking for new boat

pyro

Other than the Florida comment, I don't really agree with this as it's not that cut and dried. You have to be smart regardless of where you buy. I see far too many people in the "winter" areas that do not properly winterize their boats. I 'm referring to the motor, lower end, fuel tanks, bilge area, livewells, etc. I'll take a boat out of Kentucky with 100 hours on the motor(easily confirmed) over the same boat here that got a tarp thrown over it until spring. Especially at thousands less money.

Also, the guys in the northern states aren't dummies. They buy up deals out of the south and trailer them up to Michigan, New York, Ohio and Pennsylvania and sell them there. They know Canadians would rather not drive to Alabama and a without border crossing, its a cheap flip for them.

Regardless of where you buy, you have to do your homework.

Yes I couldn't agree more. I'm assuming that Pyro is shopping smart and taking into consideration what a good solid well kept boat looks like. I've seen 5 year old boats that look like they have never seen a fender. I looked at many, many when I got back into boating a five years ago . If the thing is a mess and the guy is trying to sell it with old Tim cups and crushed beers cans on the floor, mildew on everything, rips in the seats and the list goes on I bet the engine hasn't seen much maintenance either. Here's where I generally judge a book by the cover.

Pyro

If your buying used you must put it in the water. It's going to be tough doing this in the winter. you can always do a leak test by filling the bilge with a garden hose and look under the hull. No big deal to run the motor with the garden hose. Pull the plugs, check all the accessories, all of them. Yes it will have to be rewinterized, if the guys not willing to do it don't consider the boat in my opinion. And a well maintained trailer as well. it's $125,00 a tire. You want greaseable bearings, with grease in them. No rust, good carpets on the bunks, side guides. A transom saver.

I haven't done a poll on this thread but I think the majority here is saying buy used. I can't remember your budget but I think you are going to have some sticker shock at the boat show. As well those add-ons aren't cheap. A good GPS, trolling motor, VHF, compass, will be up to 2 grand or more for entry level products, another 500 min for lifejackets, fenders, Fire extinguisher, anchor etc. at least.

old Ironmaker thanks for the advices but we r going new like to the 2014 Toronto boat show to get one, the crap that people r trying to sell for $10000 $20000 r crap. I could't put my grandson in it or my wife

Where are you looking?

if you have the coin, buy new, absolutely.

but don't buy a lesser quality boat because its new (and you can afford it) when you can get a three/four year old top quality boat for same price.

if you can buy a top quality boat, and still have it "new", then go for it!

Edited by Steve

A tip I heard years ago is pick out a boat, get his best price, go back and buy that boat from a dealer hopefully as far from TO that you can find. Buy the boat on the showroom floor on the last day of the show. With your best price, not his. He doesn't want to haul it back to kingdom come. Labor alone will be at least $200.00 plus fuel. Hopefully they have the boat that suits your needs at the show? Those boats not at the show will still be for sale after the show, don't let the " show special prices " sway you.

I know the frustration of finding a good used boat. Yes there are deals out there but there are dogs for sale too. Some guys are nuts if they think they are going to get what they ask. I could write a book.

old Ironmaker thanks for the advices but we r going new like to the 2014 Toronto boat show to get one, the crap that people r trying to sell for $10000 $20000 r crap. I could't put my grandson in it or my wife

That's a broad statement to say the least. Go buy brand new and all your worries will disappear...haha

it is tough to find a "good" used boat.

when you find one, you need to buy it IMMEDIATELY!

i found my lund/yammy tiller combo in the boat trader....the day the issue was released.

i went directly to the house of the private sale and put a deposit on it, which was agreed to be refundable if the boat had leaks...in march we put it in bronte harbour, did a quick tour of the harbour, and completed the sale....

no issues.

i was lucky.

but i JUMPED on it...you can't wait.....

I've pointed out one to him Steve a couple of times now that hasn't even been listed.... 30K give or take for a 2005 x 2150 baron.. 225 Yamaha. 9.9 kicker.. doesn't leak a drop.. comes with a dual axle trailer that has never seen the road. It gets used to store the boat on site at the marina it's at.. nothing else. If he wants new and the "assumed" perfect boat that goes with that then we can't sway him.

I can tell you though.. if I had the chance to buy a 2150 Baron second hand, I'd be buying it from me after I worked out all the Bull in deficiencies that Lund put into their prepackage work on my 2007.... let alone setting it up for tracks and everything else. The one I keep plugging has been flawless since new.. even has a 2 year old lower unit on the big Yamaha.

If I was in the market Irish I would jump all over a Baron 2150 for that price. I don't even want to see a pic of it, I AM NOT IN THE MARKET.

If one cares for their boat, or anything for that matter there is no problem flogging it when the time comes. I know I'll get what I paid for mine after 4 years of using it, maybe more with the upgrades I've added.

This year I got everyone going when the first time out one of the guys dropped some worm dirt on the carpet, out came the Dust Buster I stuck in a bag on board and I started vacuuming the rug!

I wouldn't want to be around the first time I kissed the dock if I had a new boat, it would kill me. Someone has to buy it new first might as well be Pyro.

• 2 months later...

i hope you maxed out the hp.

legends and trackers are famous for under powering their boats to reduce price on the show floor.

regardless, have fun this year! :)

90 HP min I hope

probably comes with a 50 or 60 hp

Edited by captpierre

I've pointed out one to him Steve a couple of times now that hasn't even been listed.... 30K give or take for a 2005 x 2150 baron.. 225 Yamaha. 9.9 kicker.. doesn't leak a drop.. comes with a dual axle trailer that has never seen the road. It gets used to store the boat on site at the marina it's at.. nothing else. If he wants new and the "assumed" perfect boat that goes with that then we can't sway him.

I can tell you though.. if I had the chance to buy a 2150 Baron second hand, I'd be buying it from me after I worked out all the Bull in deficiencies that Lund put into their prepackage work on my 2007.... let alone setting it up for tracks and everything else. The one I keep plugging has been flawless since new.. even has a 2 year old lower unit on the big Yamaha.

I offered him my Princecraft, the one in the Avatar for less than $20K Wayne and was willing to store it over the winter...It was $35K+ new with all the options and it only has about 65 hours total on it!

there's a beaut lund Pro V 1900 on kijiji in grimsby for 11,900 paired with a 150 evinrude 2 stroke and a 9.9 kicker, if I was in the market I'd probably snatch it up but first I'd need the truck to pull it, and the garage to store it haha, maybe in a couple years