looking for new boat

pyro

Well if you want BIG bang for your buck and a real safe boat for the waters you expect to fish... I just may know about a Lund 2150 BARON coming for sale.... in the 30 grand area (about 40% the price of new). Not new... but it doesn't leak a DROP of water and probably never will . 225 main and 9.9 high thrust kicker.

Edited by irishfield

• 1 month later...

I think I have down to a Legend 16 Xcalibur or the 18 Xcalibur .it has a leakproof for life warranty, all welded and the wife likes it. any think I should know about Legend? I also have to pick out what size of the mercury motor I need. 60 4 stroke sound good at 36 mph? thanks

you need 90hp/115hp for that size....they always try to sell them way under powered to keep the price own

wielded boats crack, I know a few people who have had major problem, most got them repaired by warranty, but

onne guy alone was without his boat 2 summers getting it repaired then getting a new hull

Pyro.. look up 4 posts from your last one. 4 x the boat.. .for the same money you're gonna spend on that 18' Excalibur (by the time you put a motor on it that will actually push it loaded up).

... and I'm sorry, but I wouldn't be taking my grandkids out on Lake O in a 16'r !

Edited by irishfield

Yup I run big water in my 16.5 ft Lund tiller all the time !!!! Lake Ontario ,bay of quinte .... It's all about experience and knowing your boats safety limit as well as your own capability !!!!!! This has been debated for years !!! Just don't get an underpowered package and legend is famous for that !!!!!! ......

I would be very careful buying a boat farther south than Ohio. Just as I wouldn't buy a snowmobile from north country where they have snow and use it almost daily, on the other end a boat from the southern climes may have more than 20 times more the use that a normal family boat might have been used here in our relatively short Ontario summers.<br /><br />Never buy a boat from Florida unless you know the boat and owner personally, yea there are many what appear to be deals there but I know people in Florida that actually take their boats to work everyday on the inter coastal waterways. Coupled with the use in brackish and saltwater it is something to stay away from.

Other than the Florida comment, I don't really agree with this as it's not that cut and dried. You have to be smart regardless of where you buy. I see far too many people in the "winter" areas that do not properly winterize their boats. I 'm referring to the motor, lower end, fuel tanks, bilge area, livewells, etc. I'll take a boat out of Kentucky with 100 hours on the motor(easily confirmed) over the same boat here that got a tarp thrown over it until spring. Especially at thousands less money.

Also, the guys in the northern states aren't dummies. They buy up deals out of the south and trailer them up to Michigan, New York, Ohio and Pennsylvania and sell them there. They know Canadians would rather not drive to Alabama and a without border crossing, its a cheap flip for them.

Regardless of where you buy, you have to do your homework.

Exactly we run Georgian Bay in 16 fters all the time

A 16 foot aluminum is a good boat for Georgian Bay for a couple reasons. Even though it can blow up big time, if you are smart enough to watch the weather forecasts, you're never too far from a shoreline. There's a million places to tuck into and get out of the wind. I fished it for ten years with a 14 foot boat. Even days that had 5 footers in the gap you could launch in Severn, Honey Harbour, etc. and fish back bays. The other reason is mobility...the shallower draft can get you into some awesome spots you just can't fish in a bigger boat and I remember a few great ones.

Not as many places to "hide" on the western end of Ontario or Erie.

.. and I fished Georgian Bay regularly in a 12' Springbok (car topper!) with a 7.5 Elgin (closepin on choke) for many years with my father in law... the point was he said he and his wife wanted a boat large enough to take their GRANDCHILDREN out on Lake Ontario. That's a whole different game and responsibility.

..oh and btw my 2150 will go through 11" of skinny water with the 9.9 running!

i'm glad some folks read the op's comments, like irish and I did...

sure, you can run lake O in a 14'er...if you have experience.

clearly this fellow doesn't.

he'll be the follow heading out with his family in 30km winds from the east cause the previous weekend he did the same thing with the same winds...but they were from the west....big difference.

running sub 19' boats on lake O is fine, if you have the experience.

if you don't, running a proper sized boat is a must.

My brother fished Quinte for 20 years in a 12' tinnie with no issues and that's a place that can also get very nasty. It's all in knowing what your doing and when not to venture out.

There's also guys with 20 footers that aren't qualified to drive a boat on Grenadier Pond on a quiet summer evening.

I had a 40 year old 16' Chrysler bowrider that I took in lake Ontario all the time but we wife wants a new boat because the Chrysler is dead.2013 was the first I stayed dry and it sucked. I have 2 mouths be for I pick a new boat. thanks