Trolling reels??

dhickey

I have a couple heavy bait casters that I don't use so I was thinking about putting a trolling reel on them.? (1 reel that I can switch if need be)

The rods are in very good shape and rated for 20 pound test so I could probably push them a little bit more.

I don't want to spend more than 100$ because I really don't troll all that much for Musky.

More for pike.

Any ideas.

Thanks.

Don.

Like mike says I have all my trolling reels with line counters on them and the accudepth from diiawa is great for the price or the okuma line that way you can follow dive curve charts and be way more accurate for trolling and you can use it for multi species from pike to muskies and walleyes !!!!

Accudepth or Okuma. I prefer the Okuma for its shape. Its round shape makes it easier for me to "palm" it. I learned this past weekend, not to put my finger between the line guide and the side plate with a fish on!!! OUCCCHHH !!!! :whistling:

Accudepth or Okuma. I prefer the Okuma for its shape. Its round shape makes it easier for me to "palm" it. I learned this past weekend, not to put my finger between the line guide and the side plate with a fish on!!! OUCCCHHH !!!! :whistling:

Yup... One small slip and that okuma broke...

Go diawa

Shimano Trinidad.... Spend more. Don't want to lose a weekly winner if the reel malfunctions..... I've seen it happen more than once....

Holly crap!!!

Thinking the same.

Im a Shimano fan.

All rods and reels except for 1 Browning reel and a couple Mitchells.

My oldman has been using the same Sealines 47H's since I was a little kid. I still use them to this day, lol! Love those things. Don't know if the quality is the same between those late 70's/early 80's reels to what you'd get today, but those things have been bulletproof.

My oldman has been using the same Sealines 47H's since I was a little kid. I still use them to this day, lol! Love those things. Don't know if the quality is the same between those late 70's/early 80's reels to what you'd get today, but those things have been bulletproof.

This^!

The only advantage in my experience that Okuma has, is the large handle. It's easier to crank.

I have to admit, that I am a Sealine bigot! I have not had a failure with my Diawa's and I have used them for Pickereyes and Lake O trolling. They are bullet proof.

Maybe my Okuma experience is unique, but mine seem to realy dislike a lot of tension on a troll, ie planer boards. My anit-reverse has been hit or miss since the day I first used it. For an extra 20-30 bucks, you can get a Sealine and know that you have a reel that will last a life time.

Just my 2 cents.

HH

I run Okuma Convectors on my dipsy setups... No complaints with them either, but they haven't tied into even close to the amount of fish I've taken off riggers, lol.

I'm still running some old Fenwick custom fibreglass rods and a old Mitchell 782 Mooching reel as well! Rods could use a re-wrap but they beat pool cues any day of the week.

Edited by BillM

Thanks for all your input.(cheers)

The convector and cold water are on the top of my list to check out.

I also came across the Rapala Hydros 6 ball bearings and stainless steel main bearings.

So my question is are the # of bearings in a trolling reel as important as in a spinning reel ?(I wont even consider buying a spinning reel unless it has at least 8 bearings).

Hoping to get a couple hours away from work this week end to check them out.

Thanks.

Don.