Predicting the Salmon Run in Southern Ontario?

wask

Hey guys, been a long time since I've been around and a long time since I fished the Salmon run.

I have a friend that wants to come up and fish the salmon run in Southern Ontario. We were thinking Bowmanville, Port Hope ext.

What is the window for that?

My best recollection was it was the first big rain after the weather turns but about when is that?

Thanks in advance...

The guys I fish with are having the same debate as well. I won't make any predictions this year because the weather has been so strange. I am just waiting until I hear the water temps are in the range at the mouths and then will give it a go. It could snow or be 40C next week the way things have so far this summer LOL.

I've spent about 4 days in the last 2 weeks washing Cleo's, Rapalas & roe in the Ganny. . . . haven't had a sniff of anything yet. I've been checkin' out the garbage cans in the fish cleanin' station after the boaters come in, the roe left in there is not nearly mature yet . . . . probably 4 - to 5 weeks before the females egg cache is gonna be ripe. Lotsa FREE roe being dumped from the cleaned fish . . . . . it's there for the taking . . . . you don't have to kill any fish to get it!

I was going to say, I was in the supermarket today and noticed they were completely sold out of the larger 'mallows in the white pattern. They still had ample supply of the multi-coloured 'mallow pattern. Basically it's a guessing game to which pattern works best, however don't count out the lowly cigarette butt!!! Works wonders in frog water in the white as well as the tan pattern. Good luck!!!

There are several factors that determine the run. I'd say that the amout of daylight hours is one of the biggest.

Agreed...when the vegetation start to starch they can taste home...it isnt on fire up here yet....but there are fish being caught...

The lower Niagara usually gets an early start, August 8th was the earliest date I ever got a fish in the whirlpool, that was in the early 90's. Back then if you didn't have your first salmon by the 20th, you were doing something wrong! Queenston, the Glen or he 'pool are almost always your best bet for the first run, and theres lots of other bonus fish around if the salmon aren't, big strong bass, double digit walleye, and the odd large musky, my pb was 44" caught on a lime Canadian wiggler in the 'pool.