A little tip for those that dont have A/C..

dhickey

If you don't have A/C YOU PROBABLY have a fan or fans.

The key is to point the fan out of a window and open a window on the bottom floor at night this creates a negative air flow in your house.

Thus drawing colder air into your house while pushing hot air out.

In the morning (6.30 ish) shut the fan down and close your windows.

It works give it a try.

Don.

Edited by saltydawg

Also we have a switch on our furnace to turn on the blower.

This pulls cool air out of the basement and circulates it upstairs.

I cut into my return before the furnace..I also use the basement cooling to help the house out.As I'm writing this the outside temp is 32.Inside 23.It's struggling today with that high humidity.Still feels real nice :good: .

We run the air conditioner during the day when it's brutally hot like this, but then after the sun goes down we shut it off, open the sliding patio doors in the bedroom and put the ceiling fan on in reverse. It pulls all the cool outside air into the bedroom and it's just like sleeping in the great outdoors....minus the skitters.

Davey, I just pull the covers off the filters at the furnace.

This pulls the air directly out of the basement rather than the cold air return on the upper floors

That's a great idea!!When Yanch installed the air,they told me to cut and install a grill close to the furnace in the return line.I still cover it with a magnetic cover in the winter so I don't have to heat even colder air.Mind you that was 16 years ago lol.

Davey, I just pull the covers off the filters at the furnace.

This pulls the air directly out of the basement rather than the cold air return on the upper floors

That's a great idea!!When Yanch installed the air,they told me to cut and install a grill close to the furnace in the return line.I still cover it with a magnetic cover in the winter so I don't have to heat even colder air.Mind you that was 16 years ago lol.

If you use your basement than would it make sense to do this all year? I have always wondered why they aren't designed this way to begin with. Can any HVAC people let me know if I am missing something here.

If you use your basement than would it make sense to do this all year? I have always wondered why they aren't designed this way to begin with. Can any HVAC people let me know if I am missing something here.

The point is to draw cool air from the basement in the summer. It would have a reverse effect in the winter resulting in higher heating bills.

The point is to draw cool air from the basement in the summer. It would have a reverse effect in the winter resulting in higher heating bills.

Thanks, but I assume that the basement would be warmer though? I would see the basement floor level cold air returns as a compromise then. It will increase heating cost but all three floors will be comfortable then. Those who use space heaters to keep their basements comfortable aren't really saving anything.

I have another HVAC question. I usually tape my basement air vents in the summer in theory that I am saving by not air conditioning the basement. Is this a good idea; or, should I just leave them?

I recently installed a new Carrier furnace & A/C unit. It has a variable speed DC fan motor which costs pennies to operate 24/7. Last months hydro bill was $57.00. House is 2200 square feet, A/C is set at 24C, very comfy. I have air vents mounted up high on the walls which draws the hot air from the ceiling in summer. I close these high wall vents in the winter to keep the warm air in the house. Furnace fan also runs continuously all winter long. Most expensive hydro bill last winter was $92.00. I expect to pay a little more on the next hydro bill due to the extreme heat. A/C hasn't shut off in 5days.