Interesting Challenge (Handicapped fishing)

HTHM

I am planning on taking an individual that is wheelchair bound out for a fishing excursion, his first ever, and am looking for advice on how best to secure his wheel chair in the boat. I have a couple of ideas, but would like to hear from others who may have done this before.

The vessel is a ranger bass boat, any ideas?

well if he's staying in his seat could you not just carry him onto the boat and put him in the seat? Or does he need to be in the chair for some reason?

The seat is not high enough to give him the supports he needs.

I'd use ratchet straps instead of bungee cords and a rope.. :lol:

I would likely attach the straps to the ringlets on the cupboard doors, unless your boat has holy crap bars on either side.. if so pretty obvious where to attach the chair!

I wouldn't try it in a bass boat. Rent or borrow a good, stable pontoon. He will fish more comfortably and the peace of mind for everyone else will be worth it. While your goal is noble, MacGyvering with someone's life is just something that would scare the hell out of me.

I wouldn't try it in a bass boat. Rent or borrow a good, stable pontoon. He will fish more comfortably and the peace of mind for everyone else will be worth it. While your goal is noble, MacGyvering with someone's life is just something that would scare the hell out of me.

My disability really put a wrench in my fishing. Need lots of help from others to make it happen.

What Roy says is right on. Don't even bother with trying to get him in bass boat.

Its too small and would be uncomfortable and dangerous.

Renting a pontoon boat with adequate docking facilities is the way.

There is a member here 'Randy from Sturgeon' who is an expert in this field.

Maybe he will chime in or you can PM him.

Good luck and be careful.

Albert,

Might not be a great idea to have him fish out of the Ranger. Especially knowing your luck with people going overboard. If you are going for perch I think I know where you are heading, I wouldn't risk that water with your boat with someone with a disability. Getting onto a pontoon boat is something I would recommend as well.

I wouldn't try getting someone that is disabled onto my boat. We tried once and simply could not get him safely into the deep V from the dock. If someone without full physical abilities goes overboard you will not be able to get them back in without a strong second person. As well any injuries that may result in re boarding may not be evident dependent on the disability. I have a buddy who is in a chair that had a fractured leg for 2 days before he realized it.

If you are determined to head out on Erie (if indeed that's where you are going), call me before you head out to get a real time marine report. Call the night before to warn me what time in the morning.

Please don't try this on your boat.

Why not take the person out on the fishing excursion boat out of PT. Dover? They have 1/2 day rates I believe. They still fish and drift for perch and bass. They were there last year.

Edit.

After thinking about this why not just head to the Pt. Dover dock? They are hitting them early morning and early evening. Bring emerald shinners with you. The bait shop in Dover is running out daily. They are hard to come by here now, hit and miss.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

A friend of mine takes his adult son out in a wheel chair. He has an 18' stanley center console, and puts his son up front, just ahead of the console. Works fine. It takes 2 strong guys to get him aboard, and you need a launch with a good dock.

I'm not sure you'll have the space, or freeboard to be safe in a ranger.

If its rough, don't even try it.

Pick a good day with stable weather. Its totaally doable, just be smart about it and pick a good day.

Good on you for getting him out!

S.

We have a fishing event for the wounded warriors down here and we pair up the wheelchair bound with larger boats or pontoons. The loss of a leg or arm can ride in a normal bass/runabout with less danger to the people and a more enjoyable day. The wheelchair bound do not have the muscles that you and I do to absorb the impacts and constantly correcting your balance with your core muscles for a fast moving bass boat infact even going slow will challenge their abilities. You might consider a smaller lake to idle around on so you can concentrate on the fishing part and both of you will enjoy the day.

Art