NHL draft day nf

kickingfrog

No way is grabo worth more than 3.5 mil. Good buyout.

Since joining the team in 08-09, has 208pts. Second only to Kessel in that period 253pts. Widely regarded as an upper-tier 2C, has the heart of a lion. Leafs in 29th as far as cap space goes with no awesome free agents out there to throw money at.... Stupid move. Watch them sign Weiss to a hulking contract. Or worse, give the same contract to Bozak. Wouldnt be surprised if Grabbo signs on with the Hawks before sunrise and has a banner year.

The talk is the coach doesn't want Grabo. :dunno:

Undertsandable since he didnt know how to use him last year. No surprise that it would've been his worst point total since joining the Leafs. Coaches can either bring out the best or the worst in players. Thought Grabbo would have redeemed himself in Carlyles eyes after his play against Boston in the playoffs. Still in disbeleaf.

Man, I don't like that Grabo buy out.. He's a the best corner person they've got.. Not a lot of points (this year at least) but his play in the playoffs like Jigger mentioned was great. Stupid stupid stupid!

Ton of giveaways, always knocked on the ground, Couldnt buy a goal in the playoffs, -10, ill pass. Not consistent, potential health condition? Also carlyle doesnt like/play him. So keep a guy for 5m to warm the bench?

Edited by danbob

Ton of giveaways, always knocked on the ground, Couldnt buy a goal in the playoffs, -10, ill pass. Not consistent, potential health condition? Also carlyle doesnt like/play him. So keep a guy for 5m to warm the bench?

Post up his last full season stats and see if you still don't want him on your team.

Edited by BillM

Grabo was overpaid by a million or so but he was a solid forward and not all of what he contributed can be measured easily with traditional stats. I'm certainly not heart broken by the buyout, but on the other hand I'll judge it based on who, and for how much, they get this summer.

Carlyle misplayed Lupul out of town in Ana as well. Looking at it from that point of view tells that neither of them (Lupul in Ana and Grabs now) were very good defensively. Still fuming over the buyout and dont think Weiss, who is only a marginal upgrade at this point for a guy picked 4th overall, is the answer. Neither is Bozak. I really think Carlyle made a poor decision here, but am really appreciating the fact that Nonis is holding everybody accountable. Gonna miss 94. Loved watching him buzzsaw all over the place. Some lucky team is going to get a very motivated player at a very reasonable price.

Have to add, search out Jonas Siegels twitter. Grabs parting words on Carlyle made me laugh

Previous stats don't mean anything. A 5m player should be consistent. It's obvious Carlyle doesn't like him, so what's the point in keeping an overpaid player who won't preform to his abilities. I'm sure another team will pick him up for less quickly

honestly as far as grab goes I can see both sides. He was a good heart player. The problems lie with his lack of Defense and awful face off percentage. If the coach has a vision of x and o and you are playing Y expect to sit or get shipped out. He didn't fit the team mold the coach is trying to build. Plain and simple. Its that he was bad at times he was the best on the ice. Just didn't fit.

Of all the possible guys that the Leafs could get today, the only guy that interests me a little is Horton. Even then hes injury prone and might not have the wheels to keep up. No to Clarkson or Weiss. Nonis left alot of cap room but is going to end up with alot of poor contracts 3yrs down the road if hes not careful. Hopefully he finds something on the trade market.

Garbo is a walking example a concusion. Does anyone really think that he could continue to take/absorb the kind of punishment he was taking and continue to be an effective player? How many nights did we all sit around the TV watching him getting slammed? Would you invest $20 mill in a player who many times, didn't know his own name at the end of the game?

IMHO, getting rid of Garbo was a shrewd move.

HH

grabovski is a winger forced to play center due to the lack of depth the leafs have at that position. his faceoff % was poor and he played out of position. i think buying him out was a good move since we are ok on the wings. problem is there is nobody worthwhile available at that coveted center position.

Garbo is a walking example a concusion. Does anyone really think that he could continue to take/absorb the kind of punishment he was taking and continue to be an effective player? How many nights did we all sit around the TV watching him getting slammed? Would you invest $20 mill in a player who many times, didn't know his own name at the end of the game?

IMHO, getting rid of Garbo was a shrewd move.

HH

How many games did Grabo miss because of concussions? Find me a player for the Leafs that worked harder in the corners then he did during the Boston series. I'm willing to bet you can't.

So the Leafs have 24M left and still need to sign Kadri, Franson, Gunnarsson, Bernier and Fraser. I wonder how much they'll have left after they've signed... 12 M or so?

Edited by BillM