What are the best affordable waders?

Was in the market for a new pair of breathables this spring... A good pal mentioned the Reddington Sonic Pro packable waders.. I looked into it and they've had excellent reviews. At close to 3 bills they're not the cheapest waders. Mind you, a cheap pair will probably only last you one season. A friend of mine has been bying el cheapos every year now for the part 3 years and finally got tired of the hassle. He's bought a good pair of breathables this year and he's very happy with them.

Myself, I splurged a bit and shelled out for the new Simms G3s.. lol

cheers,

HD

You'll die in neo's in anything but the winter. I'd never wear those in the fall/spring...I sweat enough in breathables, I can't imagine neoprene, lol.

Reddington makes some decently priced waders.

Edited by BillM

I've had a pair of Bass Pro breathable waders for 3 years and they've served me well, with hindsight i went a size too big and they rubbed through on the seam but a bit of Aquaseal and they're waterproof again. Seem to remember they were just over $100 and they do make cheaper ones but no idea what they're like - looking their site, mine are the White River Classic ones.

Agree with Bill on neoprenes, they'll cook you on all but the coldest days - I wear thermals and fleece pants with breathables all winter for steelheading

Those explorer waders from CT,work well.There in the $115 range.Not warm for the winter,but have done me well for 3 years.No leaks. Mind you I use them maybe 10 times a year. I agree the more you spend the better the quality. These work fine for me.

I played the $100 dollar wader game for quite a while, buying hodgeman wade-lites etc........I would just return them for a new pair when they began to leak (which seemed to be one year or less) . One set went two years and when i went to exchange them....that was too far from the date of purchase to exchange. So it was time to actually buy a new pair instead of exchanging. I guess i dont learn, as i splurged for a $139 set of frogg togg breathables. So far so good i guess as its comin up on two years and im still dry.

Caddis makes a half decent breathable waders, Their customer service is awesome.

LeBarons carry them for around $150

You can also check cabelas.ca if they have some on sale,

If you know your size and exactly what you're looking for, eBay is a good place to look as well.

what is your budget? that'll help with the recommendations....cabelas and redington are both bang for your buck...I hear the redington's are made by the same factory that makes simms waders

if you want to buy online you would save some money for sure, but I would try to find the same model in store and try on sizes before you order online

Edited by bare foot wader

I totally agree Dozer. You don't have to buy top end but you will never regret spending extra dollars to get a quality product. And you will regret buying cheap junk for sure. That's how it always works out.

Save your pennies flyboy and buy quality. You'll be happy you did. Cheers

I went to St Jacob's Market where a fella was selling $20 boot waders. Obviously, they were not breathable and they lasted half a season of river fishing. They tear really easily and in the end, I was able to salvage the boot part to use with stocking foot waders for guests. Like everyone else above has said, spend the extra few dollars and you can fish comfortable knowing you won't bust a seam when you rub into some leaves.

You might want to consider the areas you normally fish....if you fish the crowds (shoulder to shoulder) then quality doesn't really matter...any and all waders are only as good as the people you fish with or the guy beside you....their hooks are probably just as sharp as yours...if you catch my drift so to speak ( pun intended)......they all eventually leak ...shoot for comfort....." cheap" decent comfort waders should run you in the 200 range....streamside breathables will suffice but the you'll need boots another 100 to 150 .....or as some have done in the past...cheap hiking boots can be modified easily enough....good luck

Even the $600 Simms G4 get holes in them... It really does depend on what kind of fishing you're doing.. Humping through the bush to your fav steelhead spot will end up with pin holes/tears in your waders regardless of how much you spent on them. I run two pairs... Simms G3 and a set of cheaper Simms Riverteks. When one set has a hole/leak I use the back up set..

If you're walking from the Erindale Parking lot down to the Credit, you can pretty much get away with anything :)

If you're walking from the Erindale Parking lot down to the Credit, you can pretty much get away with anything :)

Now that was funny Bill.

I do the bush walk,and have a cheap pr of the BPS pant wadders. They do the job. I walk alot through bush. Thing is,if they leak,it,s just another 80 bucks. I wouldnt attempt the walking with a 300 dollar pr.

in the fall you can use froot of the loom or calvin klien....but in the spring ya might want long johns.....the way kids wear their pants these days....i doubt youll get any tickets....get a pocket sewn on them though so you can carry your fishing license ....but thats just an elitist option :jerry: ...you really didnt think this thread could get away with at least one smart alec remark