some help with my trailer

aniceguy

Ok so I noticed the len was cracked on one of the back lights on my trailer. SO I decide to get some new lights, how touch can it be. Is what I say to that LOL

Here is the situation

the existing wiring is from a 2003 easy laoder trailer with webster lights. The connection to my 2005 freestar is a 4 pin and the trailer connection is a 4 pin but 1 seems to be not in use. Never had issues before. My 2007 liberty same 4 pin connection.

I connected it the right way color to color nadda. I tried to even run the harness that came with the lights to my freestar nadda not even a turn signal. On the liberty I seemed to have only the turn signal thats all and when in drive I didnt even have that.

Wits end is not even close to strong enough words.

A> What am I doing wrong and is there a sole in the mississauga Oakville area who actually knows how to do this sorta stuff, rather pay someone from here then running it to cobra

Thanks a ton

Louis

AKA One grumpy dude from this all day event

Most problems can usually be attributed to a bad ground. In your case it sounds like improper connection. There should be five wires from the trailer going into the four pin connector, brown and black from the trailer connect to the single black or brown from the harness. ie two wires get connected to one.

I did mess with the grounds on the trailer and still nadda. I tried the new wiring harness that came with the lights, connected them direct and then grounded it to the trailer too....sheesh ask me to build you a house Im all over it as me to re wire a trailer and Im a duck out of water

Check the fuses on your towing vehicle. Just because your vehicles tail lights are working doesn't mean that a fuse isn't blown. I just found this out last week. Both the brake/running lights & turn signals on my truck (2004 Ford Ranger) worked fine. My left brake light & turn signal on the trailer didn't work. Ended up that a 7.5 amp fuse was blown.

Edited by Zib

If you have a multimeter, you can check the resistance of the trailer connections to be sure of the ground. Also see if you can clean all the connectors of any corrosion...it may look good but you never know. Use your meter to check for voltages at the output pins of the van connectors for all the different things (turning, brake, running light) If you are getting voltages there, then you can connect it up and then trace the voltages along the harness.

I have a 2003 Windstar and the wiring kit for it is a box that I tuck into the jack storage area, not sure for I never looked, but it may have a fuse in it as well...like Zib mentioned check all your fuses.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Get a tester and insert it into the connection on the vehicle. Then depress brakes, turn on lights. etc to see if there is power at the plug. If so, work your way back till you find the bad spot.

That's what I'd do. In fact, I did just that today and found my problem.

I did the same. CT has a four tester that plugs in which also acts as a key chain. Really handy. I also found out it was a fuse. The Ford Ranger has a fuse for each light indication. Before testing I changed bulbs and harnesses . Just a simple fuse in a complicated manual

My son just bought a new to him Cavalier, wired up his trailer lights, wouldn't work. He had wired everything correctly with one exception, he had wired the white ground wire from the trailer to the white wire in the wire harness in the trunk.

Problem was that that white wire in the trunk was a live wire to the rear window light. Fortunatly, he was able to bring it to dad and we had it fixed in no time.

If you are still having trouble and can borrow a set of magnetic lights for it, bring it up here I'll fix it for you. I use to build EZ loader trailers so I think I know what I am doing.

Ya get a circuit tester or multi-meter and check if you have power at the plug on the vehicle, that will tell you if the problem is on the trailer. Bad grounds are common on all trailers, even tractor trailers.

My utility and boat trailer have had ground problems, getting a good ground fixes them. My utility trailer came with the ground wire not connected, it worked fine until rust developed on the connection to the trailer ball. You can spray white lithium grease on it to help prevent it, keep your trailer ball as rust free as possible or replace it with a stainless steel ball.

Damage to the wire from aging or contact with a sharp edge is possible, but aging is usually on an older trailer.

re connected everything. Same situation in the liberty lights and brakes work when in daytime running light mode but when I turn my night lights on nadda. Im going to assume its a relay switch of some kind in the liberty. Freestar same thing nadda nothing works so Im off to Canadian tire to get a tester for the trailer.

the grounds come out the back of the trailer by the lights and they are securely connected to the trailer. Cliff you have a PM

If your vehicle has a 3 light system (separate lights for brake, turn signal and running lights) You may have a converter box in your wiring.

It takes the 3 light system and stages it down to a 2 light system for your trailer.

Both my Aerostar and mine and my Fathers Windstar have this system.

When we got our new boat from the dealer we were blowing lights on the right side of the trailer. Eventually we blew this converter box. We checked the wiring in the trailer and the manufacture put a hole in wire with a screw. No big deal but the hassle to find this cost about $50.

The converter box is in line near the rear of the wiring, if it is not working normal your trailer lights will not either.

Good luck

Easton.

I went and bought an electrical testing kit from CT.. More then likely I didnt get the right one, even after asking 1/2 the store to help. No blowing lights or pinched wires Im assuming as when the jeep is running I do get full brake and turn signals, its just when I go to turn the lights on I get nadda.

As for the freestar I did see a relay re towing on the fuse box took it out and placed it back in to be greated with a pop sound, so Im assuming I that up too.... so before the ( fix the broken lens cap 30 minute task @ 60 for the parts) becomes a 3000 electrical job on both cars Im stopping sitting down and drinking beers...Cliff I dont have those magnetic lights and I did ask a few ppl nadda on that front.

The liberty Im not so overly concerned about its the freestar or as i like to call it ( F ix O r R epair D aily)

As I have not a clue what the heck Im even looking for to begin to test it, better take it to a car mechanic or trailer place ( Unless Im passin by Lindsay from Mississauga Cliff) and get it taken care of

Edited by Spiel

Carp man thanks a ton. if anything come by for a beer and some fish stories lol After talkin to cliff on the phone he agreed with what I thought the problem was. Jeep is going to the dealer for a relay and the ford is getting some fused checked in the am

OFC thanks

I had the exact same trouble with my trailer. Had all lights, till I put on my running lights, then nothing worked right. It was the plug that changes it from a 7 way to a 4-way.

I racked my brains for a whole weekend before I changed the plug.

I'm sure its something simple/stupid. It usually is with trailer lights.

Sinker

Well after all the advice here and a niec talk with Cliff on the phone. I went to the shop that installed it to have the connection from the liberty checked, all well on that end. So I looked down the tube and verified that the ground ran from the connection on my trailer all the way back. Then I looked at the trailer connection and I noticed it had 1 of the pins void I assume a 3 connection. So I took the connection that came with the new lights a little splice and a re connection of the ground to the front of the trailer and WHAMMMO works like a charm. After 24 I ll go and weather proof shrink it and I should be good to go. Free star hasnt been plugged in so I ll see on that too.

THANKS OFC!!!!