The great stove debate - Naptha or Propane

jedimaster

my propane stove is starting to suck and I am tired of buying canisters that freeze up in the winter. so I am considering going back to the old style naptha stove. I have a naptha lantern(very old) and works way better than the dual element propane one I have. The naptha single element one is way brighter.

Does anyone have one of the new naptha coleman stoves? I know my old one was bullet proof, just wondering what the quality is lie on the new ones. Anyone got another naptha two burner stove to recommend?

After seeing a friend badly burned by a Naptha stove accident, i will settle for the minimal cons of the propane stove and lantern. I use a 10lb tank and adaptor hose with mine, and have never had a problem with it freezeing. Mind you, i am a fair weather camper only.

I just fired up a brand new one at work a week ago. Just like the old ones, lever up to light, wait a minute or so then turn down to run. By far more heat than the propane ones. My own is a dual fuel, two burner, still going strong after 23 years. If you read the instructions, the likelyhood of having an accident with a naphtha stove is pretty remote. I've been using them since the late 60's. The only time I ever had a flare up is when you don't wait to the generator tube to get hot. As for the Easi lite models, they can be hit and miss. Take care of your kit and your kit takes care of you.

Edited by Fisherman

I still use my 30 plus year old Coleman stove. If you don't want to chance a new one, you can find the old ones all the time online or at yard sales. I picked up an old one for $5 a couple years ago as a back up and it works great. I can't tell you how dissapointed I am when I go camping and find propane cannisters in the privy or tossed into the fire pit. You won't be dissapointed if you go back to Naptha.

Added bonus. naptha gas always reminds me of my first camping trips with my dad when I was a kid.

Are we talking the old Coleman stove?,or is this something different?,I had a colman naptha lantern,it also works with the mantle.still uses coleman fuel. Bought new 30 odd years ago.Trying to figure out what other stove was available then.

I still have 2 two burner Coleman naphtha stoves and 2 Coleman naphtha lanterns...a single and a double mantle. Those things are unstoppable and as long as fuel will be available, these things will keep on working. Very dependable. I once bought a 3 burner and ended up giving it away as the 3rd burner wouldn't give enough heat to make it worthwhile. I love those things and consider them an essential for camping. I have all kinds of exterior lighting for the yard here but I still put out a Coleman lantern from time to time just for the bright light and the sound they make. Memories. :)

scent is a strong memory trigger, I love the smell of a naptha stove or lantern and it has been a part of some great outdoor experiences for me, for that reason, I'd say skip the propane

when I fire up my lantern, it takes me back to being 10 years old, fishing the Coboconk dam, well after dark, those walleye look even bigger when your 10

Edited by chris.brock

scent is a strong memory trigger, I love the smell of a naptha stove or lantern and it has been a part of some great outdoor experiences for me, for that reason, I'd say skip the propane

when I fire up my lantern, it takes me back to being 10 years old, fishing the Coboconk dam, well after dark, those walleye look even bigger when your 10

x2,Love those lanterns.

I've done a lot of camping since childhood plus ice fishing etc. I have 2 or 3 old Coleman stoves. I bought a used one last year for 10 dollars and it had never been used. I also have some propane and naphtha lanterns and I bought a 2 burner propane stove about 40 years ago. For those hikes, portages and long snowmobile trips, I haul a 1 burner naphtha stove which is very compact but powerful. All of this stuff works perfectly and I still don't know which is best...lol. For now, I prefer using propane when I spend a few days of camping. When I want to do some cooking in the boat, I prefer my Coleman naphtha stove. I fill the tank and there is enough fuel to cook a meal and brew coffee and still have lots of gas left over. The stove is compact and rugged. For heating, I have 3 different sized propane heaters and 1 large kerosene heater. All have their uses.

For someone who wants to buy their first camping equipment, I say buy a 2 or 3 burner propane stove. You can add a propane heater if needed. As for lanterns, I rarely use them anymore. There are battery operated lighting systems that do very well.

I've got both types and right now naptha is getting more use. The propane stove sees most use while car camping and it runs off either a 10 or 20 lb tank. The 1 lb cans are convenient but such a waste. As mentioned, naptha burns hotter compared to most propane stoves. There are a couple of propane ones at BPS that claim some serious burners but they cost a few $$.

Currently have about 10 Coleman two burners, of various ages, in the garage. I'm a sucker for garage sales and Kijiji and plan to restore what I can otherwise if you want a one for parts or to restore, let me know ;)