Is it illegal if I catch pike by mistake?

juan96

Hello

I have plan paddling to Toronto Island this Saturday and fishing for Trout. But I wondering if I catch the pike by mistake, is it illegal?

Toronto Island is Zone 20 and pike will be open 1st Sat in May but Trout is now open.

I catch and release all the time so should be no issue?

In 30 + years of fishing lake o and the harbour NEVER heard of anyone fishing for trout at the islands unless you count the early 80's when they tryed to get a trout pond going . would be hard to get anyone to believe you were trying for trout .. Try asbridges bay may still be some browns around but the islands ?????????

There are definitely brown trout in the canals in the Toronto Islands, I've seen groups of them chasing bait. I wouldn't say that there are enough to legitimately go out and target them though, you would probably catch more Pike when targeting trout in there IMO. If I were you I'd hold off fishing the Islands until Pike opens, much better places to target trout than the islands anyway.

Indeed. Far better places to fish trout than that, you'd be better off on hamilton harbour. But they are there. From the sounds of it you're kinda hoping to catch pike on trout lures. If that's the case, it will be the CO who determines if he believes you are targetting pike, or trout. Chances are if all you've caught is pike all day, they'll ding you for pike fishing. Just saying.

As mentioned don't go using pike lures or big stuff,that would entice a Pike. worm,small spinner,along those lines should mean you aren't targeting them. You put a line in the water you really could catch anything ,make sure you cover your :asshat: ,that's all.