Serious Weather on the way!

Entropy

My wife is supposed to go to Lindsay at about 1:30pm. Let me know what it is like there, then. If you can. She is driving from south of View Lake.

Big Cliff, I'd love to see your set up. To be able to plug the whole house into the genny would be great. I would really like a 200 amp manual (or auto) transfer switch, then just choose what breakers to run.

The alternative is to back feed through the dryer plug, but that is a no, no.

Started snowing about an hour ago here. Expecting 15cm and 20cm in the elevated areas in the next 24 hours. The snowblower is away for the season but it'll be 6C tomorrow and 7C on Sunday so the stuff won't last long. Next Thursday we're expecting 18C ! (21C with the "wind chill" factor.) :D

I have a standby portable generator as well. The problem I see with an extended outage is that the gas stations have no power to pump gas. Or am I wrong about that?

filled every gas can I have yesterday and test ran the generator just in case we are without power for a couple of days (remember the Quebec ice storm?) I understand there are a lot of power outages all ready so better safe than sorry.

My wife is supposed to go to Lindsay at about 1:30pm. Let me know what it is like there, then. If you can. She is driving from south of View Lake.

Big Cliff, I'd love to see your set up. To be able to plug the whole house into the genny would be great. I would really like a 200 amp manual (or auto) transfer switch, then just choose what breakers to run.

lindsay pretty slickright now and still frezzing rain/rain mix

I have a standby portable generator as well. The problem I see with an extended outage is that the gas stations have no power to pump gas. Or am I wrong about that?

always try to keep 2 5 gallon jugs filled for the boat and sled as wellas the 1 gallon for chainsaw and a 2 gallon for lawnmower, and if all else fails i have a $20 manual transfer pump i could easily drain boat sled truck and all my neigbours fuel in no time

Our local gas station / mechanic has pumped gasoline during an outage in the past. Guess getting in close with him would be a good thing eh.

Also, we keep 80 L of gas on hand for this situation. Genny uses about 10 L per 10 hours, so we can go for about 80 hours (3 and 1/3 Days), then it is time for siphon, or go get gas. But, do I trust a cheap generator to run 3 days non stop? Good question.

Will check local conditions around 12:30 and let you know, sander just went by on our road but everything is covered with ice and it is still freezing rain as of 11:00 might be better if she can postpone her trip.

You are more than welcome to come by and see my setup anytime. It isn't anything fancy but we have tested it and it works well. I'm just North of Lindsay off 36 on Snug Harbour Rd. #313. Phone is 705-328-0577.

I'd rather have Lew's setup but couldn't afford it.

Our plan is to use the generator "as required" instead of running it all the time. ie, let it run for a couple of hours to pump water cool the freezers down, recharge batteries, that sort of thing rather than running it full time so a couple of tanks of gas will last us several days if needed. If the outage was bad enough one tank of gas in our little Versa gives me about 600 km, if I can't find someone with working gas pumps inside of 600 km then we'll just have to go into "survivor mode". :canadian:

I have a bunch of those solar lights that I bring in the house to use for night lights anytime there is a bad storm coming, our gas fire place will keep the house warm at -25 if we need it. Lap top battery is good for several hours and I have a really good UPS for back up. I also keep all my boat and other batteries fully charged. Gas stove works even without power, I can cook eat, flush toilets, that is all I need LOL. :)

no hydro and lotsa trees down for us just southwest of orangeville. pretty obvious culprit tree blocking my road with hydro wires still atached on the way out this morning - had to go the other way. a generator would come in handy, hydro one's eta is 5pm today.

i heard grand valley got it pretty bad too

Edited by Raf

Just saw on the news over 100,000 without power.

It is still raining/freezing rain here, a good solid inch of ice on my driveway. I wouldn't be going out if I didn't absolutly have to. Stay home, stay safe, tomorrow is another day.

She stay'd home. Tree branches were still coming down when she made her call.

Cliff, I'll take you up on that. Should be giving you a call sometime over the next few days.

My sister just north of Bellville, said all her trees are down, power lines down, road is closed, now back up genny, and was going to go and try to get the kids from the day care place. :unsure:

Good luck all.

We lost power just as I was about to put some bread in the oven. Called Hydro, 5899 people without power in our area. Power expected to be restored by 11:00 pm tomorrow. Hooked up power pack to fireplace fan, lit BBQ to bake the bread, was just putting my coat on to go get generator ready to go and the power came back on. Sure feel sorry for the other 5898 people that will be without power until tomorrow night.

Temperature seems to be warming up rapidly now, ice seems to be melting and the rain seems to have stopped. If anyone on here knows of someone in this area (Kawartha Lakes) that is going to be without power for more than 12 hours please let me know, I'll trailer my generator to their place and at least give them a chance to run sump pumps or what ever they need. (All I ask is that they cover my gas) My cell is 705-928-8899, house is 705-328-0577.

Have generator, have time, will travel.

We lost power just as I was about to put some bread in the oven. Called Hydro, 5899 people without power in our area. Power expected to be restored by 11:00 pm tomorrow. Hooked up power pack to fireplace fan, lit BBQ to bake the bread, was just putting my coat on to go get generator ready to go and the power came back on. Sure feel sorry for the other 5898 people that will be without power until tomorrow night.

Temperature seems to be warming up rapidly now, ice seems to be melting and the rain seems to have stopped. If anyone on here knows of someone in this area (Kawartha Lakes) that is going to be without power for more than 12 hours please let me know, I'll trailer my generator to their place and at least give them a chance to run sump pumps or what ever they need. (All I ask is that they cover my gas) My cell is 705-928-8899, house is 705-328-0577.

Have generator, have time, will travel.

Cliff,what a generous offer!!!

She stay'd home. Tree branches were still coming down when she made her call.

Cliff, I'll take you up on that. Should be giving you a call sometime over the next few days.

My sister just north of Bellville, said all her trees are down, power lines down, road is closed, now back up genny, and was going to go and try to get the kids from the day care place. :unsure:

Good luck all.

If your sister needs my generator I can get it to her, have Subaru Forester AWD with really good ice and snow tires and I can bring a chain saw for the trees that are down. Just let me know!

Ole Marv put on his best rain suit after lunch today to go out for his daily jaunt.

003.jpg

He made it 10' then turned around and came back into the house.

I think I heard him mumble something about me being nuts if I expected him to go out in that kinda weather. :lol:

001.jpg

If your sister needs my generator I can get it to her, have Subaru Forester AWD with really good ice and snow tires and I can bring a chain saw for the trees that are down. Just let me know!

Thanks for the offer, but getting there would be the problem. I'd buy one and take it to her, but she and her husband are the kind of people that "should" be resouceful.

Took a drive though Janetville, talked to a guy and he said that there are a lot of besements flooding. Two of his neighbours.

Very big of you to offer. Someone will return the fav. some day I'm sure.

Many on this board have helped me numerous times over the years and continue to offer anytime I need a hand with anything. It's me that is trying to return the favors and I've got a long way to go! :D

Thanks for the offer, but getting there would be the problem. I'd buy one and take it to her, but she and her husband are the kind of people that "should" be resouceful.

Took a drive though Janetville, talked to a guy and he said that there are a lot of besements flooding. Two of his neighbours.

Very big of you to offer. Someone will return the fav.