DINSMORES SUPER SOFT SHOT

misfish

Anyone use this soft shot? Dose it stay put on the line and not slide?

Your thoughts please on any other shot you would recomend.

The harder shot is hard on the teeth.

Thanks

Edited by Misfish

Brian, stay away from it. On my end I havn't purchased and used any of the so called "steelhead" shot that's on the market in years. Main reason being it is difficult to close and will slide around on your line. On top of that it's more expensive.

I buy round Water Gremlin shot in a variety of sizes. It's super soft, will not slide on your line and is way cheaper, especially when you buy the bulk bags.

My only issue with it is the bright silver color. What I've been doing for a long time is bathing the shot for a few hours in a small amount of Liquid Plumber. It turns the shot jet black.

I've used both the dinsmore and water gremlin shot. One thing I noticed was that the dinsmore shot are smaller than the water gremlin when you compare the weight. What I mean is that a smaller size dinsmore will weigh the same as a slightly larger gremlin shot. Must be more lead content in the dinsmore?

Water gremlin!!!!!! Dinsmore shot, and others like it are a pain in the arse!

Any reason why?

Actually I was under the impression that lead shot was not sold any longer in Ontario, am I off base here? I do know that harder steel shot are a pain to stay tight on the line.

Liquid plumber? I've always taken care where smell and taste are concerned in a presentation. A dab from a black Sharpie is what I use. Once caught a blue gill that held onto a split shot right to the shoreline.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Thanks guys. I have looked for the wingless,but only found them in two sizes. I,ll use what I have for now,and stock up when I get down to labarons.

Every season I say I'm gonna stop crimping lead shot with my teeth, this year included.
Can't be good for ya.
Brian, this season if you see me doing It chuck something at me will ya!

I,ll have to make sure it,s a good one,I don't want ya getting back up.I cant run that fast.LOL

Edited by Misfish

Any reason why?

Actually I was under the impression that lead shot was not sold any longer in Ontario, am I off base here? I do know that harder steel shot are a pain to stay tight on the line.

Liquid plumber? I've always taken care where smell and taste are concerned in a presentation. A dab from a black Sharpie is what I use. Once caught a blue gill that held onto a split shot right to the shoreline.

Lead shot is most definately still sold in Ontario, it's likely New York State your thinking of! dinssmore and the like is generally more expensive, slips on line, difficult to run it on larger diameter line, which wasn't an issue back in the day using 6lb mainline, but these days using 10lb, I've even had shot fall of the line occasionally. The water gremlin shot has been serving my needs for many many years! I don't do anything to blacken the shot, and haven't found it to affect my success rates, but the key to steelheading is finding a rig your confident in, and that is adaptable to many different waters, and pounding it! Sure you have to change it up now and then, but confidence in your meat and potatoes rig will win the day most often! I didn't know about the liquid plumber trick.... That's a good one! I don't think the smell would make a difference on way or the other, probably rinse right off!

Edited by porkpie

Thanks guys. I have looked for the wingless,but only found them in two sizes. I,ll use what I have for now,and stock up when I get down to labarons.

I,ll have to make sure it,s a good one,I don't want ya getting back up.I cant run that fast.LOL

http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_sp13/water_gremlin.pdf

Round Split Shot Sinkers, middle row, 2nd from the bottom.

If you can't get into the big city they ship. ;)

http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_sp13/water_gremlin.pdf

Round Split Shot Sinkers, middle row, 2nd from the bottom.

If you can't get into the big city they ship. ;)

MAN THATS CHEAP.

Dave,Im down there every few weeks. I hit Brant meats factory right around the corner. ;):D

Edited by Misfish

I use the Dinsmore shot in all sizes with match fishing for carp and never had a problem with it.. I even use it on 2-3lb test line and doesn't kink it at all..Anchor is another good one, but I think it's only available in the UK. To answer your question on sliding issues, just for an example bigger carp in the weeds move the shot occasionally.. JMHO I use it and like it..

EDIT: There is a divot in the shot which makes removal easily, I use my thumb nail.

Edited by DanielM