Unions - NF

Rich

My union/worker rep has helped me out a couple of times. Other times they've been kind of useless. I have close friends who are in the "inner circle" and when I see the favoritism, how some are clearly are "in it" for themselves and not the greater good, and hear about how money (my dues) is wasted on pet projects and a select few traveling and partying on my dime...I sometimes get a little frustrated, to say the least.

All that said...I'm well aware I'm way better off with my union (just about any union) than I would be if I didn't belong to one. The company I work for would like nothing more than to roll back a lot of what they are currently obligated to give us. People talk about how unions "back in the day" fought for and established a lot of the rights we enjoy as working people today. Then someone is always eager to say something like, "Yeah, but unions have outlived their usefulness." They don't realize that unions are currently engaged in the struggle to simply maintain what many now take for granted. If you think laws can't be repealed and that the people who run the companies we work for aren't trying to make that happen right now, you may be in for a big surprise one day when you show up for work and are told "There's no such thing as OT or paid vacation anymore."

Its sad but true the WORKERS in a union dont want get invovled with 2% that want to milk the system which as a rule include the reps.Paid my dues for 30 years and I had to keep track of the CALL BOOK for the rep,50 guys in the group 99% of the calls for 4 people,I guess thats why bars arent open on election day.

vance

Union guy for 36 years, and never, ever have I had to go to my union to fight for me for anything. And I don't know anyone else in my union who has had too either. You perform, you work. You don't, you dont work. Simple as that. The issue here is that less skilled workers thought that it would be a good idea to go union. If you can be replaced in a week with your job skills, then no, a union is not where you want to be. My union has nothing to do with protecting my rights. I can do that myself. It is all about being paid fairly, enjoying an excellent benefit package, getting negotiated wage increases, and looking forward to collecting my pensions (yes, I have two pensions. We maxed out our first so we started a second) soon at a young age where I can still enjoy the rest of my life.

labour_zps1d34d5f9.jpg

My union/worker rep has helped me out a couple of times. Other times they've been kind of useless. I have close friends who are in the "inner circle" and when I see the favoritism, how some are clearly are "in it" for themselves and not the greater good, and hear about how money (my dues) is wasted on pet projects and a select few traveling and partying on my dime...I sometimes get a little frustrated, to say the least.

All that said...I'm well aware I'm way better off with my union (just about any union) than I would be if I didn't belong to one. The company I work for would like nothing more than to roll back a lot of what they are currently obligated to give us. People talk about how unions "back in the day" fought for and established a lot of the rights we enjoy as working people today. Then someone is always eager to say something like, "Yeah, but unions have outlived their usefulness." They don't realize that unions are currently engaged in the struggle to simply maintain what many now take for granted. If you think laws can't be repealed and that the people who run the companies we work for aren't trying to make that happen right now, you may be in for a big surprise one day when you show up for work and are told "There's no such thing as OT or paid vacation anymore."

After my last union contract negotiations, they eliminated OT and our vacations have never been paid (for part time anyway), also dropped our christmas party and christmas bonus. So tell me what the hell is my union so useful for?

Sorry the teachers have had everything handed to them by the liberals. No way they should be allowed to back sick days as extra pay.

They should be entitled to what they had banked as it was the way before but I don't disagree with what was done to them.

Edited by Live2fish85

After my last union contract negotiations, they eliminated OT and our vacations have never been paid (for part time anyway), also dropped our christmas party and christmas bonus. So tell me what the hell is my union so useful for?

You are entitled to be compensated for OT if you work (I believe) over 88 hours in any two week period. Vacation pay is mandatory as are stat holidays for those workers that qualify. That stuff is guaranteed under the Employment Standards Act of Ontario...union or not, that's how it is for all working people in the province. Learn your rights and call the MOL if you're getting screwed.

No union I've ever been represented by has negotiated for a Christmas party or bonus...that's up to your employer.

It sounds like (in your case) the union is "useful" in that you still have a job, because the company you work for is clearly desperate to implement cost-cutting measures.

This is a good quote but it appears as though Unions in the private sector, when they do this, the company packs up and leaves. Unions in the public sector do this and continue to reap the benifits of the puplic teat. This builds a lot of resentment towards both the public sector and Unions in general and IMHO thats why the majority think Unions have outlived their purpose. What has happenened is complacency in the labour force"Let them eat cake" The value of our labour is still exploited by the 1% and will be continued to be until we get angry enough once again to tear down the upper class.

Edit: When it comes to our labour(mine in particular) I want full value and am really a Marxist

Edited by Musky or Specks

Sorry the teachers have had everything handed to them by the liberals. No way they should be allowed to back sick days as extra pay.

They should be entitled to what they had banked as it was the way before but I don't disagree with what was done to them.

Here is a great article for you to think about. We need to be careful where we head with our precious health care And education in Canada - a country where a poor immigrant child can actually live the Canadian(American) dream:

By Mark Bulgutch and Peter Mansbridge

Anyone familiar with my educational background will know that my relationship with teachers was cool. Not cool as in hip and trendy. But cool as in frigid and icy. The fact that I didn't finish high school is my fault. I had teachers who tried to get through to me. Mr. Bank, Ms. Bruce and Mr. Westinghouse were among those who tried, oh how they tried. But some challenges, like me, were just too much.

I put that on the record to make it clear that although a lot of people trace their success to a teacher who provided a spark, I don't. Still, I cringe when I hear and read all the teacher-bashing that's out there. I live in Ontario where the provincial government and the teacher unions have been locked in serious battle for several months. I'm not taking sides in the dispute. Not at all.

But my goodness, the things some people say about teachers. Based on what I hear on radio talk shows, and comments on the internet, there are way too many people who truly believe that teachers are grossly overpaid and under-worked.

What a strange attitude. Never mind that teachers are grooming the next generation of Canadians, the ones who will grow up to support our pensions in our old age. Maybe we can't think big-picture. The little-picture is pretty simple. Teachers are grooming our children. Yours and mine. Do we really want to trust the most precious parts of our lives to underpaid and overworked drones?

I keep seeing comparisons to what teachers make to the average industrial wage. And guess what? Teachers make more than the average. Of course they do. They've gone to school for at least four years of post-secondary education. The average teacher has been working for 11 years. They should be making reasonably good money. They're raising families too.

Then there's the under-worked part. That argument usually starts with July and August. Teachers get the whole summer off. No doubt about it; that's nice. But they need the break. I know there are lazy teachers. Just as there are lazy bankers, letter carriers, doctors, and yes, lazy journalists. But overwhelmingly, teachers are not lazy. In Ontario, the teachers stopped participating in extracurricular activities as part of their fight with the government. What an uproar that caused. School plays, sports teams, newspapers, chess clubs, fashion shows, and on and on. None of them possible without teachers freely giving their time. Critics are anxious to count the summer against the teachers, but they never count all those extra hours in their favour.

And sure, classes go from about 9am to 330pm, but anyone who thinks a teacher works six and a half hours a day, doesn't know many teachers. Preparing for class takes time. Talking to kids after school takes time. Meeting with parents takes time. Marking takes time. I can't imagine reading through 60 essays on why Hamlet is so sad and writing helpful comments in the margins.

We send teachers children from broken homes, from abusive homes, from negligent homes. We send teachers children from homes where both parents work, or where the only parent works, or where no parent works.

We send teachers children who leave home without breakfast and whose grasp of mathematics is grounded in the reality that welfare money sometimes runs out in 28 days or 29 days, and can't be stretched to cover 30 or 31.

We send teachers children who are new to Canada, children who stare blankly ahead unable to understand a single word that is being spoken.

And we ask that those teachers turn each of those children, each of our children, into productive little citizens. We ask that even though there are 28 or 29 other students in the classroom, even though there are students misbehaving, even though some parents don't support teachers by re-enforcing lessons or by making sure homework is done, or even by insisting that the student listen to or respect the teacher.

So argue the fine points of teacher contracts all you like. I'm not saying teacher unions are always right. I'm just saying running down teachers is wrong.

Edited by landry

Christmas parties and bonuses have never been part my union agreement. Did you have Christmas parties in your contract? If so you have a legal right here. What a silly thing to nogotiate for anyways. The other things that you mentioned are coverered under labor laws, not unions.

The other things that you mentioned are coverered under labor laws, not unions.

Then why the need for a UNION??????????????

Many things are covered now. Those that are nannied, by their union,are being just that. Im not saying you are not a stand up worker Dan, we have been down this road before. There was a time they were needed,and now it,s time for them, to vanish.

Like mentioned,,any word of union at a plant these days,they will just fold up.move,and start again.They dont give a rats ass. The dollar is the bottom line. Lots of movement going Alabama way these days.It,s becoming FACTORY CITY.

Edited by Misfish

Many things are covered now. Those that are nannied, by their union,are being just that. Im not saying you are not a stand up worker Dan, we have been down this road before. There was a time they were needed,and now it,s time for them, to vanish.

Like mentioned,,any word of union at a plant these days,they will just fold up.move,and start again.They dont give a rats ass. The dollar is the bottom line. Lots of movement going Alabama way these days.It,s becoming FACTORY CITY.

There are lots of people doing the same job that I am doing Brian, for half the wages and no benefits or pensions. That's why. Where do you think that all that missing money is going? Of course the answer is easy. It's going into the pockets of the company owners. And their employees are not even making middle class wages. And you think that this is a good thing? :dunno:

the union reps and stewards i deal with are a complete joke...they don't know the clac agreement, they always tell the disgruntled employee you'll get your way, we'll fight for you....then they are proven wrong, the company went above and beyond clac and labour laws to keep the employee happy but it is NEVER good enough...greedy/lazy employees rely on the union to fight for their dishonesty, $36/hr starting isn't good enough I guess...and now this mine site is the most expensive cost per ton to produce and is being shut down

prime example, saying you were hurt at work and posting videos on facebook of you sledding and building your house while you're off with pay for 2 months...forgot the fact your two non unionized managers are facebook friends...

my old man worked at lear, made car seats for ford talbotville...he had good and bad experiences

I tend to agree they have outgrown their usefulness...

There are lots of people doing the same job that I am doing Brian, for half the wages and no benefits or pensions. That's why. Where do you think that all that missing money is going? Of course the answer is easy. It's going into the pockets of the company owners. And their employees are not even making middle class wages. And you think that this is a good thing? :dunno:

Just think,no companies,no jobs.

The saying,dont bite the hand that feeds ya.

Todays world is a far far cry from back when Dan.

Like I said earlier...if you think that those laws that protect workers can't be repelled and that your employer isn't working towards having that happen...then they've got you right where they want you. If you lose the right to collective bargaining, you'll soon start to lose those rights that were won through collective bargaining.

Also there are lots of non-union shops that pay their workers union level wages and give them everything they'd likely get through CB...they don't do so out of the goodness of their hearts...they do so because the want to avoid having their workers exercise the option of organizing. Take away that option and employers will be less motivated to offer wages/benefits that are competitive with union rates.

Lol, the managers at my work are non-unionized.

They are full time, guaranteed their jobs, full vacation, benefits, pension, and they have less rules.

My union is phasing out the jobs and the company is replacing them with good ones.

Sorry, they're useless.

I've been part of 4 unions , unions suck , they seem to be there to protect the lazy and loudmouth , if you do your job correctly , you don't need one , as a matter of fact , I was laid off yesterday because of a friggin union agreement .. I'm fed up with it ! Legalized organized crime ..

bash away I don't give a Walleye's Tail. .

I've been part of 4 unions , unions suck , they seem to be there to protect the lazy and loudmouth , if you do your job correctly , you don't need one , as a matter of fact , I was laid off yesterday because of a friggin union agreement .. I'm fed up with it ! Legalized organized crime ..

bash away I don't give a Walleye's Tail. .

Out of curiosity...why do you keep applying for union jobs?

I lost a 60 hr /wk contract to negotiated cut backs , I bumped a 36 hr/ 2 week to keep my employment , sticking to my education the only jobs available in my field ( health care ) are unionized ....

Not to toot my own horn , I'm also a first class ASE parts man 13 yrs ... but I don't wanna go back to selling parts .

I'm not against unions , I've seen the good they can do ... but .. so far they've hampered vs help me. .

I lost a 60 hr /wk contract to negotiated cut backs , I bumped a 36 hr/ 2 week to keep my employment , sticking to my education the only jobs available in my field ( health care ) are unionized ....

Not to toot my own horn , I'm also a first class ASE parts man 13 yrs ... but I don't wanna go back to selling parts .

I'm not against unions , I've seen the good they can do ... but .. so far they've hampered vs help me. .

Are people responsible for providing health care normally scheduled to work 60 hour weeks every week? That's surprising...and a little scary. To me, at first glance, it kind of makes sense to hire more people and have them work something closer the normally accepted 40 hour week. Admittedly, I really don't know anything about what you do...but I know how I feel after working just two or three 60 hour weeks in a row. Eventually my work (let alone life) begins to suffer. I don't blame your employer for wanting to move in that direction or your union for not preventing it.

Are there really no non-unionized jobs available in your field?...or are there no non-unionized jobs available in your field that you want? Just like you could get a job as a parts-man but don't want it...there are other options available to you, they're just not very attractive. You seem to want all the benefits that go with having a union job...without the union. Those gigs are tough to find, Brother.

There are a lot more non-unionized jobs than unionized ones...plus there's the option of self-employment. The only reason one would have a unionized job is because they choose to have one...probably because they realize it's better than having a non-unionized one.

Edited by fishNwire