Flipping Sticks?

Deeds

I was looking into picking up a flipping stick this year, but was turned off when I saw that the prices of the specialized rod was going for about $260. I looked at Shimano, GLoomis, Okuma, Daiwa etc. Is there a cheaper alternative that can still have durability for those slop mats when trying to find bass? I was hoping to keep the price in or around $100-150. All help is appreciated. Thanks.

i went through this many times and your gonna get all kinds of advice.

My advice spend the 260 get a st.croix legend tournament strong sensitive and very light can pitch it all day, only thing that comes close is a nrx without the pricetag

Just picked up a GL2 flipping stick and it is plenty light and stout. They can be had if wheel and deal for around the 160 mark new... thats what I paid and I really like it mated up with the chronarch E. looks and feels great. Can hardly wait to get it on the water.

More money doesn't necessarily mean more durable. Usually more expensive rods mean: Lighter, better components and maybe better build quality. I'm not interested in spending big money on a flipin' stick, so that low $100s range would be my max, and then throw more money at the reel.

I bought that 7'2" Simax from Edwin. It is a super light weight stick, lighter than my 7'9" Fenwick Techna flipper(not that surprising given the length difference). I have not fished it yet but the build quality is impeccable and I feel confident that the Simax will hoist them out of the ding weeds no problem (or I can just spear the fish with it, it's STOUT). They have a nice weight balancing kit on them (like the Johnny Morris BPS rods) to get the balance perfect too. I think they can be recomended especially at their price point of about $180 retail.

More money doesn't necessarily mean more durable. Usually more expensive rods mean: Lighter, better components and maybe better build quality. I'm not interested in spending big money on a flipin' stick, so that low $100s range would be my max, and then throw more money at the reel.

I agree Rob. Except on the reel. Before and during the days of the "super free" reels money was well spent on a flip/pitch reel. However, nowadays (a decade later +) you do not have to spend near as much to get the same or very similar functionality. Of course just my opinion.

For $200 bucks you can be well set up with a flip/pitch combo.

Your money is much better spent on high quality spinning rods and reels.

As always though, to each their own.

but chances are any rods $150 and up will give you a generous lifetime warranty.

Don't see the point in a more expensive reel with a "short line" application like flippin', drags gonna be locked down and you'll probably be using big weights so casting abilities not an issue. Would rather spend the extra $ on a good quality stick that can handle the strain of flipping with big weights and hauling bass out of the slop and if you do it'll probably come with a good warranty. Buy a cheap one for something like this and it'll probably let you down sometime...be a shame if it was with a 5lbs bucket on the line.

"More" money on the reel didn't necessarily mean more than the rod or a mid to high end baitcaster. More often then not, an inexpensive baitcaster will let you down before a rod does. And some mentioned saving fractions of an ounce on a better rod, all those savings and a few more ounces would be found on a low end reel.

Quality is quality but more money on a rod doesn't mean more durable just on the face of it and not all the higher end rods have unlimited, lifetime warranties. It's actually very inexpensive to make a durable, almost indestructible rod (we all know the brands).

I use some pretty good equipment now and still have most of my tackle when I didn't spend nearly as much and I've never broken anything, ever (just jinxed myself now, I know). If someone is the type that is prone to breaking things then a solid unlimited warranty would be something to consider.

200 bucks should get you a decent combo, regardless, check the classifieds, if your using braid sensitivity is a non-issue, as you will detect the slightest tap with the no stretch braid when you only 20 feet out. A Flippin stick is one rod i wouldnt break the bank over, just make sure it has the backbone to haul them out of the heavy stuff. Bass wont like you any better cause you spent 300.00 on a Flippin stick, instead of 100.00.

200 bucks should get you a decent combo, regardless, check the classifieds, if your using braid sensitivity is a non-issue, as you will detect the slightest tap with the no stretch braid when you only 20 feet out. A Flippin stick is one rod i wouldnt break the bank over, just make sure it has the backbone to haul them out of the heavy stuff. Bass wont like you any better cause you spent 300.00 on a Flippin stick, instead of 100.00.

LOL I agree but the walking talking billboards on TV will have you believe that you need at least 10, 300 dollar rods in your boat to catch a 2 pound bass! :wallbash:

Get a pool cue, wrap some guides on it and you're set!

I use my 8ft 1pc Compre muskie rod when doing anything in heavy cover for bass, lol.

A lot of guys use pool cues! lol I knew a couple guys who used those old INLINE rods. They doubled as push poles.

I used to use a pool cue, not literally, but a 7' old crucial with 5" cut off the top. Now as I get a "bit" older, I wish hadn't of used such heavy rods with no stretch braid. My wrist is done now. One hard hookset and I am in pain for the rest of the day. Some of my buds who used the same heavy rods over the years have severe arm pain as well.

I now use a 7ft, MH and haul them out just fine. Hindsight, 20/20.

A lot of guys use pool cues! lol I knew a couple guys who used those old INLINE rods. They doubled as push poles.

I used to use a pool cue, not literally, but a 7' old crucial with 5" cut off the top. Now as I get a "bit" older, I wish hadn't of used such heavy rods with no stretch braid. My wrist is done now. One hard hookset and I am in pain for the rest of the day. Some of my buds who used the same heavy rods over the years have severe arm pain as well.

I now use a 7ft, MH and haul them out just fine. Hindsight, 20/20.

yup same here, have a old quantum pro tour weighs a ton, put a revo sx on it great stik but 30 minutes elbow wrist start bugging me, i found the legend so light with a core mvg5 i can pitch with zero pain all day,