Rules for entering USA nf

ecmilley

Have you seen what's required to get an Enhanced Drivers License?

1 form, 2 pics and $80 gets you a passport. It doesn't get much easier then that.

I have one, answered 10 questions maybe, had the girl at the counter ask me the same questions to see if I answered them the same way. Headed over the bridge 10 minutes later. I don't plan on flying, so no passport. I also didn't want to pay for someone to sign it to say that I am who I say I am.

Edited by paul_614

There are a few good reasons to avoid the enhanced licence. You can get into trouble if you wind up in the US by accident, such as when a plane gets diverted. If everything goes perfectly, it's fine.

In July, the Canadian passport goes from a 5-year renewal to 10.

BTW, we have NEXUS cards. If you cross more than a few times a year, it's fantastic. You can even use your NEXUS when returning to Canada from anywhere other than the US too.

Edited by whiskywizard

I also didn't want to pay for someone to sign it to say that I am who I say I am.

Isn't illegal to charge someone for signing their passport pictures? I know it used to be. You no longer require a professional designation to be allowed to sign passport photo's. I think anyone who has a passport or has one for a 5 years can sign passport photo's. It should be too difficult to get them signed.

Isn't illegal to charge someone for signing their passport pictures? I know it used to be. You no longer require a professional designation to be allowed to sign passport photo's. I think anyone who has a passport or has one for a 5 years can sign passport photo's. It should be too difficult to get them signed.

a noter republic or dr has to sign your application

a noter republic or dr has to sign your application

No they don't..

Eligible guarantors

Your guarantor must:

1. Hold a five-year Canadian passport that is validFootnote1 or has been expired for no more than one year, on the day you submit your application;
  2. Have known you (the applicant) personally for at least two (2) years.

In the case of a child, the guarantor must have known you (the parent or legal guardian who is applying on behalf of the child) personally for at least two (2) years and must have knowledge of the child;

3. Be a Canadian citizen 18 years of age or older;
  4. Have been 16 years of age or older when he or she applied for his or her own passport;
  5. Provide the requested information contained in his or her passport;
  6. Be accessible to Passport Canada for verification;
  7. Live in Canada, in the United States or in any of the other areas where submission of the "in Canada and in the USA" application form is authorized (Bermuda, American Samoa, Guam, the Marshall Islands, the Midway Islands, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands). It is not necessary that the guarantor reside in the same country as the applicant.

No they don't..

Eligible guarantors

Your guarantor must:

1. Hold a five-year Canadian passport that is validFootnote1 or has been expired for no more than one year, on the day you submit your application;
  2. Have known you (the applicant) personally for at least two (2) years.

In the case of a child, the guarantor must have known you (the parent or legal guardian who is applying on behalf of the child) personally for at least two (2) years and must have knowledge of the child;

3. Be a Canadian citizen 18 years of age or older;
  4. Have been 16 years of age or older when he or she applied for his or her own passport;
  5. Provide the requested information contained in his or her passport;
  6. Be accessible to Passport Canada for verification;
  7. Live in Canada, in the United States or in any of the other areas where submission of the "in Canada and in the USA" application form is authorized (Bermuda, American Samoa, Guam, the Marshall Islands, the Midway Islands, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands). It is not necessary that the guarantor reside in the same country as the applicant.

my first passport app had to be signed and I chose my dr and had to pay

before applying for a passport, check to see when the new rules take effect re: time before passport expiration. Previously passports were good for 5 years I believe but you will soon be able to get them for 10 years. Not sure when this takes effect but would be worth looking into.

fwiw, last time I was at a land border crossing (several years ago at least, Fort Erie) I asked the US border agent about using an expired passport for land crossings and he said that was fine. I never felt right about that so always keep a current passport on me at all times.

imo, passport > drivers license