Anyone here boiling sap?

Sinker

Ok TJ, first we will deal with the trade, I didn't say how big the bottle would be, can we spell Texas mickey?

Good try on a hint on the honey hole. All I can tell you it is one of 5 really big lakes, also referred to as an inland sea .But I swear to God on the lives of Mom and Dad the numbers are true. The weekend after taking possession in 96 I was sitting on the deck having a pop and a shot of Zoom Zoom with a buddy and heard a substantial splash, looked up and saw a good size wake. said must be a Tern diving for a meal. A few seconds latter another bigger splash inside the wake and it couldn't be anything but a fish. We looked at each other and both took off for the shed to get a rod that we just unpacked, must have been a sight to see 2 guys knocking each other about to get there first. First cast, silver and black floating Rap tied from last year and bang, the fish took off and peeled off 20 feet of line before I tightened the drag from zero. Set the hook and at that precise moment I went from a Walleye guy to a Smallmouth guy, go out twice a year for Pics now. Groundy threw out a plastic grub with the hook cut off and landed a 2 pouder one morning, before I got up. I told him next time he was getting citizens arrested! What kills me most is waiting for opening. About 10 years ago some students from Mac biology came out and filmed them actually spawning. I say I'm going to film it every year and never have.. We now sit on the deck and watch them spawn all spring, dear wife calls it the aquarium. Gar is one of the most colour fish you have ever seen underwater, yet to hook one here, plenty in Florida not here, I am going to get 1 this spring if it kills me or die trying.

I don't know how many people want to know where the honey hole is, I always tell them bring me a check for a half million and they can own it, probably not. My brother opened his big yap one year at the plant and I found 4 trucks in my laneway one day, they had stopped on their way back from the plant, hint #2. Luckily the Bass had moved out about 100 yards by opening that year.

Maybe I should start one of those old treasure hunts where you find the keys to a new car after they give hints in the newspaper everyday, they make sure you buy a paper the next day, haven't seen one of those for a long time.

I figured the crepe stove is where you made crepes but you were supposed to win me the argument by saying I was right, some brotherhood this fishing thing is!!!!!

Hope that Gibsons doesn't bang you on the noggin in the morning, isn't retirement swell?

I switched pages here and found a new background, like it. Easier to read but a bit bright which is good will help with battery life.

Great picts.. I should have about 2 l tomorrow..

Then the freeze, then things get crazy!!

Well .. got 75 litres of sap in. Put everything on the small boiler

Me cleaning out the vats..

IMG_0080_zps4bcf4a91.jpg

Me and my setup... we still have 3 feet of snow!!

IMG_0081_zps6bee3dd3.jpg

First FIRE!!

IMG_0090_zps536e6ffe.jpg

Finally some boiling!!

IMG_0092_zpsd562ef1d.jpg

I can't see pics, will check them out later. Its running hard here again. Today. It got just cold enough to interupt, and now its moving again. I have everything cleaned, and ready to rock. I even picked up another 55gal drum for storing :)

S.

Collected from 21 taps today, got 40 litres. My neighbour is collecting the other 20. He should have about the same. It was running great today. Might be too cold the next couple days to run, but we'll see. I'll just have to fish more. :)

How'd u make out with the first boil, TJ?

S.

There's a "pick you own" berry farm over near Buckhorn and this time of year they tap the maple trees and allow visitors in to watch the process. They also have a pancake breakfast and give the proceeds to the loacal legion.

We're gonna go over tomorrow for awhile and watch whats happening and probably have breakfast too. I'll take the camera and get a few pictures to post here.

Second boil completed on Sunday, another 7 litres of light syrup. Taps are all frozen up now, sap should run again at the end of this week. Likely darker syrup from the next run. Off to Punta Cana Thursday morning, my kids will collect the sap for our third and final boil starting Good Friday. Here are a couple more pictures of my setup. The main boiler in action and the stainless steel pot and single burner I do the finishing boil on.

578754_10151370991613182_1236665655_n.jpg2522_10151370991683182_1803090925_n.jpg562722_10151370991583182_375200115_n.jpg

Fresh out of the finishing pan mix your favorite whiskey with hot maple syrup 70\30.......omgosh it just does not get old year after year

Ya.. lol.. that put me to bed the other night...

I actually kept a mickey of boiled down sap for friends..

MY wife says we could make a fortune selling half boiled sap as mix!!

Ya.. lol.. that put me to bed the other night...

I actually kept a mickey of boiled down sap for friends..

MY wife says we could make a fortune selling half boiled sap as mix!!

lol

I have buddies stopping by the shop JUST for that