NF What to do if your vehicle goes through ice

woodenboater

Open windows, no seat belts, doors unlocked, floater suit on..

It said lifejacket off as it may restrict you and hamper your escape. I guess floating to the top of the vehicle when trying to get out the window would suck :o

It said lifejacket off as it may restrict you and hamper your escape. I guess floating to the top of the vehicle when trying to get out the window would suck :o

You'll freeze to death a lot faster with out a floater suit on, I'll take my chances :)

Above are so very true, but you also have to call CAA and open up your cheque book :whistling:

You shake your head at the chances some people take on the ice. When we fished on Lake Simcoe over the years it was not uncommon to see people with kids in the vehicle jump open pressure cracks just to get to "thee" spot :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Above are so very true, but you also have to call CAA and open up your cheque book :whistling:

You shake your head at the chances some people take on the ice. When we fished on Lake Simcoe over the years it was not uncommon to see people with kids in the vehicle jump open pressure cracks just to get to "thee" spot :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I bought a sled so I didn't have to drive my truck out, but I've got zero issues when the ice is over 15inches thick like it was a few years ago over the entire lake...

8 inches this week on the lake I was on and trucks and cars were blasting up and down the lake. They didn't know this but the ice was cracking and booming all the way across as they drove by.

What do you mean my car can make waves under the ice????? lol!

I bought a sled so I didn't have to drive my truck out, but I've got zero issues when the ice is over 15inches thick like it was a few years ago over the entire lake...

I also have a sled for that purpose.

Sometimes I trailer it out onto the lake to get to my starting point. ;)

I have now problems driving on the ice up here in the North.

Wouldn't be doing it very often down South though.

Was out on Saturday and our ice was clear, black and 44 inches thick!!! :D

You'll freeze to death a lot faster with out a floater suit on, I'll take my chances :)

that's IF you can make it out of the vehicle before it's submerged.

i suggest putting on your floater suit in the summer to see just how far down you can swim in a lake or pool while wearing it to understand why it's safer to not wear one. as joey mentioned, the floater suit that would save your life in most situations could actually trap you in a submerged vehicle. although it's highly unlikely, if your vehicle were to go under nose or tail first, or somehow flip, you'd float like a bobber to the floor, windshield, or back window and that's where they'd recover your body.

like i said, it's highly unlikely. just giving you some food for thought...

that's IF you can make it out of the vehicle before it's submerged.

i suggest putting on your floater suit in the summer to see just how far down you can swim in a lake or pool while wearing it to understand why it's safer to not wear one. as joey mentioned, the floater suit that would save your life in most situations could actually trap you in a submerged vehicle. although it's highly unlikely, if your vehicle were to go under nose or tail first, or somehow flip, you'd float like a bobber to the floor, windshield, or back window and that's where they'd recover your body.

like i said, it's highly unlikely. just giving you some food for thought...

No you're right, I'd much rather be dragged under in soaking wet street clothes :) If you can't pull yourself out of a cab with a float suit on, you shouldn't be out there in the first place.

There's a reason I wear a MANUAL inflate life vest when flying floats in the summer... you can't get out of a submerged aircraft with an inflated life jacket.

Truck window down.. ski jacket on.. running shoes generally.. no seat belt and a speed to suit ice thickness. There's no room for bulky suits if you need to shoot out that drivers window before the doors make it to / through the ice.

No you're right, I'd much rather be dragged under in soaking wet street clothes :) If you can't pull yourself out of a cab with a float suit on, you shouldn't be out there in the first place.

Are you serious? You've said a lot of stupid things in the last couple weeks but this takes the cake.

For anyone that thinks they can get out of a submerged.. water FILLED vehicle with a life jacket on... I invite you to prove that you can, next time "Bry the dunker guy" comes back to town.

Bryan has a rig that puts you in an airplane cabin that slides you down a slope and it flips upside down when it hits the water (pool) to simulate flipping a float plane. Don't worry... he uses two or three scuba divers to retrieve you before you drown.

Edited by irishfield

I still dont understand why someone would drive there vehicle on the ice.

Wouldn't catch me on the ice with a vehicle, but I think I'm more cautious on the hard water than most - probably because I don't have a whole lot of ice fishing experience.

Sleds and ATV's sure - but not until the sheet is THICK.

I went through an ice sheet I was standing on while fishing bows in December one time - ice was plenty thick enough to stand on but river ice is never really safe. I knew I was taking a risk being on the shelf, but I also knew that the water was not as deep as my waders where I was standing.

Try getting out of a human sized hole in the ice while you're only just past your waist in the water...I can't imagine trying to crawl my way out of a lake (or car) especially without the added benefit of being waterproof (waders).

I'll continue to play it safe on the hard stuff, if I miss a fish or two there's lots of time left to get them.

Are you serious? You've said a lot of stupid things in the last couple weeks but this takes the cake.

Who are you again?

You're insane to be out in the middle of a frozen lake without a floater suit on.. Truck, snowmobile, I don't care what it is.. Go ahead and get your Darwin award, it will be well deserved.

Edited by BillM