Spinnerbaits... Closed or Open Eye?? Your preference??

TJQ

67 members have voted

1. 1. Closed or open??

• Closed Eye Connection
    • Open Eye Connection
  2. 2. 1/4 oz or 3/8 oz or 1/2 oz

• 1/4 ounce
    • 3/8 ounce
    • 1/2 ounce

Hello guys, I have made spinnerbaits for years, and when I sell them at tackle swaps, people buy the closed eye 1/2 oz. models the most. So much so that I have stopped making the open r-bend style. Last year people started asking me for 3/4-1oz. models more, but I would say 1/2 oz. is the most popular size, and white skirts with silver blades is the most asked for colour combo. Thanks chris.

I also prefer the closed eye spinnerbaits. Contrary to what some others have said, I find it easier to tune. I've tried the R-bend and found when a big smallie grabbed it, if the line moved much I would lose more fish as a result, but that was just personal observation. I also make my own spinnerbaits and I'd say that closed eye, 1/2 oz is most popular for bass fishing.

Closed eye, simply because i hate haveing to re tie knots all day. I use small crankbait snaps to avoid this.I use a tiny rubber o-ring found in most harware stores, when useing R-Bend spinner baits. Doesnt affect action or scare the fish. I have caught lots useing this method.

Why the knot tying,I use a clasp and ready to change whenever. I can't see why tying on is better. I spend 8 hours a day most weekends and get lot's of fish.Maybe I'm missing out on something?.I thought giving the bait more space to move would be better?.Is it the stealth look that gives you even more fish?.Like to know the difference?,always learning.

I don't trust snaps much. I've seen them come open too many times...good quality ones too.

I tie direct 95% of the time now.

As for the time saving...just buy more rods! :devil:

I buy good ones,fishing a lot of Pike(my favorite),after evey toothy critter,I change my knot,worried about fraying mostly.I run 3 bait casters and must change my lures 50 times a day,again depending on bite.Do not want to buy more rods and up to 50 changes a day,don't want to tie a new one on every time I change..Call me lazy lol.

Depends heavily on what I'm fishing for and how big the spinnerbait is.

A spinnerbait 1oz or more I'd prefer a closed wire, to make attaching a leader easier.

Anything less direct tie is better, more vibration and I likely won't be throwing it for toothy critters so the leader connectibility is less important.

My bad, I didn't see the poll featuring sizes. Since all are under 1oz, R-bend for sure.

Edited by Rich

Why the knot tying,I use a clasp and ready to change whenever. I can't see why tying on is better. I spend 8 hours a day most weekends and get lot's of fish.Maybe I'm missing out on something?.I thought giving the bait more space to move would be better?.Is it the stealth look that gives you even more fish?.Like to know the difference?,always learning.

I'm not saying it's the main reason, but obviously the more links you put between your mainline and lure, the less sensitivity you'll have..

On a different but related note, I like the open bend on a bottom bouncer. If the worm harness gets hung I find I can reverse the boat and pulling in the opposite direction. This usually moves the snap swivel off of the bend up to the top of the bouncer. The change in direction of pull often gets your harness free.

How would a spinner bait work on a bottom bouncer? Anyone try this for walleye?

Dan O.

I'm not saying it's the main reason, but obviously the more links you put between your mainline and lure, the less sensitivity you'll have..

Rich when I'm cranking that spinner bait in,if I can't feel the hit,I don't want it.lol.I feel everything hitting that unless a dinky perch is going after a 1/2oz terminator. or bigger I think the extra sensitivity (if any) is not that much.