Invasive species help....

TJQ

Need some ideas quick!! So Jaden is presenting a thing on invasive species tomorrow and shes got the content all written up. She has to give some sort of a demonstration along with it.. but of course I cant get my hands on an invasive species this time of year.. It has to be something she can pass around the room to demonstrate what an invasive species does.. ie a girl thats doing one on asthma is passing a straw around so people can feel like what it feels like to breath with difficulty... i need something similar that gets some sort of point accross...

any one got any ideas.. im stumped....

Not to split hairs here but are you meaning "invasive" or "non-native"? Invasive meaning something that tends to take over or displace existing flora/fauna. Non-native meaning a specie that is not historically found in a specific area and then establishes in that area (usually aided by human means but not always)

example:

-small mouth bass can be invasive when stocked in a natural brook trout lake, smallies will often out-compete brook trout but surrounding lakes make be naturally full of small mouth and are therefore argueably native to the region.

-zebra mussels are non-native to Ontario and wouldn't be here at all without human assistance because they can't move from Russia by themselves, they are non-native and invasive

earthworms are also non-native to North America and invasive and also attainable this time of year (even in the Gret White North) and also would make excellent classroom show and tell :whistling: ....just saying.

If she gets an A, I want credit..... :angel:

Edited by SylvanOwner

Personally (just because I do a lot of work with them) I love the lamprey/vaccum cleaner idea. She could attach it to a kid (or the teachers arm) they can comment how its mildly agitating and then she can mention how it must feel to not be able to remove that from your body due to lack of hands and then go into further detail.

Oh Oh I totally forgot, or bring in a small fish tank with weeds planted in it and nice rocky shoals but with mud underneath. Then let the kids scoop up all the mud and make a mess with shovels and explain thats what common carp do.

Or ask the kids to sound like a boat and then throw large fish at them. Asian Carp!

Bring in a white man and point to North America. Did I just say that?

LOL!

Oh Oh I totally forgot, or bring in a small fish tank with weeds planted in it and nice rocky shoals but with mud underneath. Then let the kids scoop up all the mud and make a mess with shovels and explain thats what common carp do.

Or ask the kids to sound like a boat and then throw large fish at them. Asian Carp!

Nice!

Edited by Christopher k

How about a jar full of water. Then add a drop of food colouring to it, then another drop, then another drop. The change in colour will represent the way a species can take over a lake like rock bass killing off walleye and perch populations up North.

Best idea so far