electric augers

grt1

i've been looking for an ice auger and today i stopped at one of the sporting shops in town and the gas ones were around 469 to 549 and they had an ice auger that had a battery that was supposed to be good for 40 8" holes on 1 charge, it was the brand name of ION. never heard of this brand and it was 569. anyone out there have any experience with this brand, or electric augers and should i look at one or stay with the gas models?

grt 1

GO WITH GAS;

Tried one on Lake simcoe before we move up here. Sold it half way thru the season. Good for first ice, but did not perform in thicker ice and in colder temps. Bought a cheap gas auger and still using it up here. Still cuts thru 5 feet of ice.

~~~I bought the electric Strike King, 3 years ago and it is great never any problem, end of the day put it on charge, ready to good next day, never have to choke it, no fumes, no gas cans to carry or store. End of the year hang it up and next season give it a charge and it ready to go, no clogged carborator

I recently bought the Ion. Eskimo makes them. Looks good so far. Tore a hole in my back yard pond in no time. I have an SUV so I can't deal with gas and I already have enough gas engines to deal with each year. I've put off getting a power auger for years but finally gave in. So I'll be a Guinea pig. Not really my style: I'd rather wait a year or two to see the reviews but what the hay. It's not heavy at 22lbs. The battery is Li ion which operate well in the cold - better then other type of batteries and they are easy to maintain. The components seem fine. Electric motors are dead simple and will like last a life time, the battery - I hope for 5 years but I've read they are good for ~500 charges. Couple things I thought might be better: reverse capability, variable speed control, and the safety switch may be a pain with gloves on. I may replace the blades with true Swede steel after this year. Bought mine at Bass Pro for $520. I'll still use my ca. 1998 Fin Bore III 8" for most of the season. Report back in a month or two.