Affordable Ice fishing electronics

hotsky

I want to give ice fishing a try, hope it's cold enough this year for that. I wouldn't mind getting something to improve my chances of catching fish. After reading the thread on flashers and looking more into them I was quite surprised to see that they go for half a grand.:blush: I thought well goes that idea lol. Are there any affordable units that would work for ice fishing? flashers or sonars? Also if i can use it on an inflatable in the summer all the better! I guess my budget would be up to $200.

Edited by Gray_Wolf

I bought a pihranamax 210 used for 20 bucks. 12v battery about 30 bucks. I used an old swiffer handle for the transducer, and an old tackle box for the... Well.. box. So for 50 bucks i have a nice portable unit year round and the 12v quad deep cycle lasts for days!

^ I was looking at those but want sure how it does for still fishing; it says optimal speed is 14km an hour my trolling motor doesn't even go that fast...Anyone used it for ice fishing or low speed trolling?

I would think still fishing is the standard. They all will work even if the boat isn't moving.Don't they?

Edited by davey buoy

I would like to know how they do stationary too

they are meant to be moving at 5mph for best picture, because of the way the unit gathers the info and displays it. sitting still they don't get to see the objects frm different angles

^ I was looking at those but want sure how it does for still fishing; it says optimal speed is 14km an hour my trolling motor doesn't even go that fast...Anyone used it for ice fishing or low speed trolling?

I read some reviews and watched some videos on youtube on the unit. Reviews are a bit mixed, people complaining about not being able to see fish. I guess fish dont show up like they would on a regular fish finder as a fish or an arc, on this one they show up as a ball. Most of the videos i found on youtube were European so good luck understanding some of it lol.

I am counting on the unit performing well ice fishing, I`ll be able to tell you more after few outings

Radio world had a killer deal on a Lowrence Mark-5x DSI portable. With shipping it came to 130 dollars.

Going to give this ice fishing a fair shot this winter as well, may as well do it right

The DSI models are not good for the ice :whistling:

The lowrence 4x with no GPS is a good deal but really you can get a decent used one for about 100

Good luck see you on the ice