What you need to catch..

Rich

The more I have learned, the less I bring with me. I used to have a tackle box with a random assortment of "I better have one of theses".

I don't have a boat but I wish I had one. I go shore fishing, when the fish come to shore.

I use whatever catches fish. I like using plastics, but there are times that live bait is king.

I readily admit that I don't have the expertise to APPRECIATE high end equipment.

However, if you can go to a spot where there IS fish, and if you can put something in front of the fish that it will eat, the rest is just making sure that the hook stays in its mouth long enough for you to haul it in. Then comes the bragging of the catch to you buddies.

And that is what you need to catch...

An expensive rod and reel are wieghed in ounces, and the cheap stuff weighed in pounds..............which would you rather cast with 12 hours a day ????

Name me one that's weighed in pounds. Unless you're saying that a 3 ounce rod is 0.1875 of a pound.

I don't have much money to spend on fishing, so I try to put it where it counts. St. Croix premier's for my rods, stradic/ci4's for spincast, revo toro's for muskie and currado for baitcast. Not top of the line, but gear I know will last, and will handle early spring to late fall/early winter conditions.

I make my own leaders, spinnerbaits, bucktails, and even carve my own lures to keep costs down. I won't spend over 10.00 on a lure unless it's for muskie, and for years I only bought my spinnerbaits at the fishing show where you could get deals on them. I own a crap load of Rapala's but I don't think I will ever buy a live target lure, especially their frogs.

Don't get me wrong, it is still a sickness because all I fish is pike, muskie, and a little bit of bass, but I still carry 18 large trays stuffed with lures in an XL bass pro bag.....not including my muskie lures. I carry a lot of doubles/triples because it sucks if you are nailing fish with a certain pattern and have no backup if that one gets lost or damaged.

Spending the time on water with someone willing to teach you the techniques is also key, or else you have to do a lot of research followed by trial and error.

What you actually need: a fishing rod, hooks, sinkers, bobber, live worms.

Was at Petawawa R. in Algonquin this summer. Caught bass, musky, and channel cats on Rapalas, Live Target, jigs/sassy shads w/worm (no minnows allowed). Couldn't catch a walleye however.

Thought about it afterwards and came to conclusion that simple worm, splitshot, and slip bobber setup at night in spots will be used next time. Worm, boobber,sinker simply might be ticket there.

Tend to put less into gear than maybe I could, and more into gas and trips that get me to where the fish are. Buy more mid-range, good gear.

Know enough people with tonnes of their money invested into expensive or massive amounts of stuff they rarely if ever use. What they'd have been better off investing in IMO, is actually going fishing.

Won't be taking any NRX's and Stella's to the grave, only life and experiences.

Quit stirring the pot Rich. lol.

Don't feel too bad about it Rich, I have the same disease.

So that's been my problem all these years. I've been seeing girls with names that start with C, D, and K for most of my life. Thanks for the help Roy. :D

I do believe in the KISS rule but with all the shinny things and pretty colours you see when in a tackle store it's very difficult to say no. My name is Will and I have a problem. :huh:;)

Yes my friend, yo have a problem! LOL

Some of us spend our money on fishing stuff we think we need. There was a member here who is no longer with us, whose sig said "lures are designed to catch fisherman". I can't help but think that this has a great deal of merit.

I also find that those of us who have other "hobbies" that take away some of our disposable income, tend to be more conservative in their approach to gear purchases... I know that I can quite easily walk past a row of rods, reels or lures, but put a nice shinny guitar in front of me and I guarrantee that I will stop, have a look and start gassing!

(GAS - Gear Aquistion Syndrom)

Gas pains can lower the amount of oxygen available to the normally logical mind. I have tried deparately to find a cure for this ailment only to find myself buying yet another object that I don't necessarily need... but need has so little to do with GAS pains!

Need and want are two very different animals!

HH

you've made several jabs in the past at elitist pin anglers who need thousands of dollars of equipment to fish

your jab at "armchair experts" was a bit of a conceited attitude IMO

when you stir up crap, expect to have some "splashback" lol

I think most will take things with a grain of salt, but there is a winternet weather advisory, a crap storm is brewing and not ending until approx april

LOL it auto edits crap! instead of another word...never knew that

Edited by bare foot wader

they'd have been better off investing in IMO, is actually going fishing.

Thank you. Someone finally said it. There is no need for the fancy gear. If a guy knows how to catch fish, he will catch fish with what he has. Period. Experience will trump fancy gear EVERY time.

S.

I am a huge fan of Moosebunk's epic posts. I would rather spend the money on travel to the places that he has been, rather than on gear.

This year I calculated that I spent money on gasoline vs gear 5:1.

Unfortunately, once we get to a wonderful new place, we know almost nothing about fishing there. So we bring everything we own, in case we need that lure/rod...

Sleepy

you've made several jabs in the past at elitist pin anglers who need thousands of dollars of equipment to fish

your jab at "armchair experts" was a bit of a conceited attitude IMO

when you stir up crap, expect to have some "splashback" lol

I think most will take things with a grain of salt, but there is a winternet weather advisory, a crap storm is brewing and not ending until approx april

LOL it auto edits crap! instead of another word...never knew that

Dude people jab at every post here lmao

If this winter is like last year, open water happened the first week of march in the kawarthas.

CIMG2203.jpg

Nice bling Hammercarp, here's my sweet set up........goes anywhere I want and no need to get caught in the ramp madness that happens sometimes.

CIMG2221.jpg

catches more fish than 30,000 AND 60,000 dollar bass boats:whistling:

although 25km/h and up winds are a pain and a 60,000.00 bass boat would be nice to get places faster than 8km/h:wallbash:

I don't know about that Rich, but I've been out on Pigeon and Balsam in 30km plus winds surfing the waves. Fun but dangerous. Muskie opener a couple years ago was fun, 20km plus and my first time out on a larger lake. Only had an electric at the time, so I got a lot of looks from people wondering what the hell I was doing on Balsam with just a trolling motor in high winds.

Little did they know it was a 74lb thrust.:whistling:

Lost my first good ski at boat side because I didn't have a net. Went and bought one the same day so I wouldn't have a repeat of this. The fish hit the first bucktail I had ever made, so it was especially awesome and gratifying.

WARNING

Video contains a little bit of swearing

My link

then why does my friend with the $150 fly rod outfit always ask to borrow my $700+ doller rod and $600 reel with $120line, $20 backing and a $19 leader and says "your rods feel so much better then mine" "hey,your drag can actually hold a fish" "i love how your fly line doesnt stiffen like mine in the winter"... maybe he's crazy :dunno: