Floats for Steelheading

Rich

What kind do you use, when floating?

Up til this year i used blackbird phantom floats exclusively, until i picked up some larger sheffield slip floats this year. It took some adjusting, but i now love the flow-thru line style floats! So much more convenient.

What do you use?

i like the cork ones ,can't remember the brand name,they are stamped with a logo with the letter S .

The custom made ones they use to sell in Goderich Bait and Tackle (balsa) back 15-20 years ago worked well.I use to also use a Thill balsa that had a thin metal wire bottom,it was made for fast current,it let the bait get down stream ahead of the float with less drag on the wire bottom. I just can't seem to find them anymore,they worked very well.

I primarily use Riverwood floats...It's mostly what I can get for free by picking them off of trees and snags. Back in the day I used to run mostly Drennan Avons and Loafers but sold them all off for cheap because I just had a hard time seeing them.

I use to also use a Thill balsa that had a thin metal wire bottom,it was made for fast current,it let the bait get down stream ahead of the float with less drag on the wire bottom. I just can't seem to find them anymore,they worked very well.

Lebarons has a bunch of the Thill Turbomaster floats in stock in a few different sizes.

All kidding a side Dave. I was into making my own. I had a hand held drill, rig up on a jig. It was very rewarding to make.

My biggest problem back then (30 yrs), was finding the right seal for them. I tried the wood dope,but when left for a bit,they became sticky. I gave up.

I just seen your last post. Would love to see a step by step.

Nice work.

Edited by Misfish