Guitar Amp

jedimaster

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone can't point to a good deal on an amp, ideally I woul dlike somethign that will sound as good hooked up clean to an EA as well as an electric. Was thinking about amid to late 90's Fender but I want to try and keep the price down... If anyone has a good one and is looking to trade on some stuff let me know as well.

For now just looking for opinions on what can be had that will offer some decent distortion as well as decent clean sound for say under or around 300 bucks. Peak output is not a concern and will likely never be taken out of the condo. Perhaps something with a headphone jack would be good as well.

I use (for the house) a small Fender Frontman. It's got the usual input, normal volume, Gain, gain select,drive volume, treble, Mid, Bass, reverb, then inputs for foot switch, external spk and head phones. Plenty for the house, I play a 1961 Gretsch double anniversary and that thing sounds good no matter what you play it through.

The Frontman can be had for $100 to $150 on Ebay..pretty sure that keeping an eye on Kijiji will produce one if that's what you want.

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone can't point to a good deal on an amp, ideally I woul dlike somethign that will sound as good hooked up clean to an EA as well as an electric. Was thinking about amid to late 90's Fender but I want to try and keep the price down... If anyone has a good one and is looking to trade on some stuff let me know as well.

For now just looking for opinions on what can be had that will offer some decent distortion as well as decent clean sound for say under or around 300 bucks. Peak output is not a concern and will likely never be taken out of the condo. Perhaps something with a headphone jack would be good as well.

I have a Laney D20 that's plenty loud enough for the house. The clean channel is crisp and clear, or if you want a little fun it also has a bunch of digital effects built in ... reverb, chorus, flanger, delay. Has a headphone jack. You can find them new for around $225, or on Kijiji fr about $150.

The perfect backroom amp for me has been the Marshall MG series(15dfx) It's got a clean channel, setting for gain(distortion). The regular eq stuff, bass, treble, contour. It also has a bunch of preset digital effects and level control. Also has cd line in and emulator line out...oh and headphone plug-in. It was under $300.00 taxes in when I bought it three years ago. I do beef it up with some external pedals/effects.

I have a fender g-dec. They come in 15 watt and 30 and sound amazing. I play an ibanez electric. It has built in drum beats, tones, and affects. Save you from buying a pedal and you can start a one man band. Best buy for your buck.

Hey,

If you just want a low volume really nice sounding amp, my kid has the Yamaha THR 10. It sounds really good and has nice built in effects. You have to hear it to believe it. It's pretty good. Line 6 makes some good ones too for low volume stuff and they are cheap.

I use (for the house) a small Fender Frontman. It's got the usual input, normal volume, Gain, gain select,drive volume, treble, Mid, Bass, reverb, then inputs for foot switch, external spk and head phones. Plenty for the house, I play a 1961 Gretsch double anniversary and that thing sounds good no matter what you play it through.

The Frontman can be had for $100 to $150 on Ebay..pretty sure that keeping an eye on Kijiji will produce one if that's what you want.

yep... I have a 100W frontman (which I recently ruptured one speaker from) for playing in friends basements etc etc etc. I just have a fuzz pedal (boss DS-2) and a couple of cables thrown in the back and it is so light and portable, and it sounds okay. not great, but okay, especially because I bought it from a friend for $100.

At one point, I had a fender twin reverb amp 85W from the 90's (I broke it too), but I don't have it anymore. that was a good amp, except they cost about $2200 new.

I have a fender strat, with a humbucker in the bridge position, and you can get very many different styles out of it, especially with my multi-effects pedal.

Was looking at the reviews and demos of the yamaha thr10. Looks pretty cool, failing that there seems to be lots of deals on the fender frontman.

Hey,

Was looking at the reviews and demos of the yamaha thr10. Looks pretty cool, failing that there seems to be lots of deals on the fender frontman.

my In-laws own Van Halterens music centre on wellington st. in Lindsay, they have amps starting at less than 70 bux, just got off the Phonw with John he says to bring in your guitars and test drive some amps

• 1 month later...

No one has mentioned tube amps!!!! If you want clean to crunch sounds the only way to get great sound is with a tube amp. 10 to 15 watt tube amps can be bought for under 400 dollars. If tone does not matter then the transistor amps mentioned will do.

Don't make the mistake of buying an amp with lots of effects. The more stuff you get on the amp, the more chance of something going wrong. Adequate pedals are cheap and easy to re-sell.

I’m no rock star

I have a 100W Marshall Tube hybrid combo JMD1 and a 4x12 but I am really considering putting it up on consignment and getting one of these.

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=1241

I don’t jam in a band just solely for my amusement Don’t get me wrong I love Marshall’s and it will make the dogs run away and glass wear shake off shelves, from the first time I heard one live "there can be only one " but this little unit is unbelievable has effects jam along and the best part it really truly sounds good you owe it to yourself to take “your Guitars to a shop plug in and check one out I don’t think you will be disappointed.

Rock out with your.... out

Peter