Nasty surprise at the cottage

captpierre

Got to the cottage Fri. Hear a hissing sound coming from the unfinished crawlspace.

Turns out the 20 gal pressure tank has a small hole on it's side and water is spraying out. Didn't freeze.

Go to the hardware store, they give me the name of "The Pump Guy".

Next day -new tank and plumbing. $480. Mopped up about 25 gallon off concrete floor.

They say in hard water lucky to get 5-10 yrs out of a tank.

Don't know how old this one was.

Advice : shut water pump off before you leave cottage

Advice : shut water pump off before you leave cottage

Definately!!!!

When I go on vacation I shut off my water heater and water pump.

Don't want any nasty surprises when I get home.

A couple of years ago I heard a hissing sound that turned out to be my water heater turning into a geyser because of a failed thermostat. Would hate to see what would happen had I not been home. :w00t:

Back when we had the cottage, pump always turned off as well as hot water tank when we left. Flooding was not in the picture. I guess your situation could of been a lot worse. Thank goodness it wasn't!.

We also have hard water here. My gas hot water heater is the third one now in16 years. Both previous times water coming out the bottom flooding the basement.Thankfully we were home.

Edited by davey buoy

A couple of years ago I heard a hissing sound that turned out to be my water heater turning into a geyser because of a failed thermostat. Would hate to see what would happen had I not been home. :w00t:

Happened to my son when he went away for a weekend and the hot water line from the water heater split. Don't know how long it sprayed hot water into the place but it was enough that most of the plaster came off the walls plus all the carpets were destroyed.

Damage was over $30,000 and they were out of the house for a month while repairs were made.

I go once step further........

After I have turned off the pump, I take all the pressure out of the lines by flushing the toilet and running the taps until the water stops.

I figure it's worth peace of mind knowing that all lines are empty and not under any pressure when Im not around.

Meely :canadian:

Just a question but if the hard water is corroding the pressure tanks that often; why wouldn’t you have bought a plastic tank? They seem to be out there (google search); is there something about them that are no good, other then possibly their cost?

Dan.

I go once step further........

After I have turned off the pump, I take all the pressure out of the lines by flushing the toilet and running the taps until the water stops.

I figure it's worth peace of mind knowing that all lines are empty and not under any pressure when Im not around.

Meely :canadian:

I hope I'm not hi-jacking this thread too much, but that sort of procedure is also recommended by ins companies, for e.g., when leaving your house for vacations etc. I have done it often, but not always. I think ins co's recommend for anything longer than 48 hrs, which might sound a bit extreme. You mighr want to check with your ins broker.

The hardness of water is not corrosive in most cases. Hardness is an indication of Lime or minerals which are neutralizing the PH. The corrosion of the Tank can often be traced to grounding of the electrical system to the plumbing (dielectrolysis) and friction loss from water moving thru the pipes over time. The cutting off of the water supply and the draining of the system to prevent freeze damage is the best method of keeping you from having a surprise when you arrive. The plastic tanks in my opinion have other faults that make them no better than the metal ones. I have replaced them due to cracked fittings, leak in the diaphragm and pressure stress cracks in the assemble.

Art

The hardness of water is not corrosive in most cases. Hardness is an indication of Lime or minerals which are neutralizing the PH. The corrosion of the Tank can often be traced to grounding of the electrical system to the plumbing (dielectrolysis) and friction loss from water moving thru the pipes over time. The cutting off of the water supply and the draining of the system to prevent freeze damage is the best method of keeping you from having a surprise when you arrive. The plastic tanks in my opinion have other faults that make them no better than the metal ones. I have replaced them due to cracked fittings, leak in the diaphragm and pressure stress cracks in the assemble.

Art

Thanks Art. Makes sense.

Didn't see any plastic ones at the local Home Hardware