Coyote Gun Restoration - Warning - Graphic Images**

NAW

I mostly use my .22-250 Rem, better know around here as "Chuck Mate" for woodchuck hunting in the spring if the crappie/perch fishing is slow. And she's so pretty too...take a look..

Copy5ofDeerHunting11-19-05049.jpg

BTW last week I picked up my wife from a work Christmas party in the city of Buffalo and almost hit a coyote on Broadway right near the eastern boarder of Buffalo and Cheektowaga...son of a B ran right in front of my car...dog went NUTS in the car...

But many calibers smaller then a .275 travel MUCH farther....take a .270 Win...it shoots MUCH MUCH flatter and farther then .30/30 and the list goes on and on...that's why I said it's a weird reg.

That reg has been on the books since I was first licenced back in 65. In the mid 70's I taught the safe gun handling for the MNR Hunter Safety, it was explained to me as to stop the usage of WWII mil surplus stuff in southern Ontario with milsurp full metal jacket bullets as they are very prone to ricochet. Most of the battle rifles of WWII were over .270.

That actually makes sense. I agree with Nick, the 223 is around with a fair bit of steel Cored surplus around. They riccoshet like crazy. I think it is about time to get rid of that obsolete reg or modify it. It should specify the types of ammo allowed to be shot in the given areas.

That actually makes sense. I agree with Nick, the 223 is around with a fair bit of steel Cored surplus around. They riccoshet like crazy. I think it is about time to get rid of that obsolete reg or modify it. It should specify the types of ammo allowed to be shot in the given areas.

That's what NYS does...no full metal bullets allowed for hunting..

very nice work. time to get some blood on that stock now :thumbsup_anim:

That reg has been on the books since I was first licenced back in 65. In the mid 70's I taught the safe gun handling for the MNR Hunter Safety, it was explained to me as to stop the usage of WWII mil surplus stuff in southern Ontario with milsurp full metal jacket bullets as they are very prone to ricochet. Most of the battle rifles of WWII were over .270.

this is the most common reason i hear. as with sunday hunting, i guess it's time for hunters to voice our opinions to get thing's changed? :canadian:

my yote gun, a stevens 200 in 22-250 topped with a 5-15x40 bushnell legend. it was only $300 new without the scope, but the little 1" groups it shoots with cheap winchester ammo makes me forget about that. :thumbsup_anim:

scott015.jpg

first blood. :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

yote1.jpg

Edited by ch312

And she's so pretty too...take a look..

Copy5ofDeerHunting11-19-05049.jpg

Your not kidding. Very nice looking gun!

very nice work. time to get some blood on that stock now :thumbsup_anim:

scott015.jpg

yote1.jpg

No kidding. $300 for both eh. Was that used? Did the 22-250 make that hole in the yote? That's quit the gash!

Thanks for posting the pics of you guns guys!

I noticed your both using bi-pods. That will be my first x-mass money purchase. That and a good pair of Binos.

Any suggestions for either of the two items?

HARRIS Bi-Pod all the way....try Ebay for one...mine is over 30 years old...works like the day I purchased it...as far as binoculars...well that's a tough one...you can spend from $50 to $1500 on a good pair...my advice is get the best SMALLEST pair you can afford..

And my guess is that yote was shot with a .22-250 40 grain hollow point...but that side that is being shown is the EXIT hole...maybe ch312 can confirm.

Bob

No kidding. $300 for both eh. Was that used? Did the 22-250 make that hole in the yote? That's quit the gash!

Thanks for posting the pics of you guns guys!

I noticed your both using bi-pods. That will be my first x-mass money purchase. That and a good pair of Binos.

Any suggestions for either of the two items?

the stevens 200 jumped to $360 from $299 about 3 years ago. but, cabelas has them on sale for $299 right now and i highly recommend getting one. they really are THE best bang for your buck if you're looking for a low priced bolt action. i used that gun to shoot that yote at 50-60 yards offhand with 45gr winchester white box hollow points. aimed for the heart and i think i got it. cheap gun + cheap scope + cheap ammo = 1" groups :thumbsup_anim:

i don't use gun mounted bipods as i'm 6'1 and even the tallest harris (IMO the best brand, be sure to get a swivel model) is too short for me while sitting. plus, they add too much weight to the gun for long carries and/or shooting offhand. i made the shooting sticks in my pic out of some old arrows and they're the best i've used so far and saved me over $100.

as for bino's, i use vortex crossfire 10x42 which are a tad on the big side for tracking deer, but they're manageable when used with a bino harness. vortex are newer, but their bino's are crystal clear and i preferred them over comparable models when i was shopping for them. i'd stick with 8-10 power...

Edited by ch312

Wow, all this rifle talk has me hankering to punch some holes in paper. Bill, enjoy your new piece, may it bring a lot of meat to your table. Those Savages are supposed to be very accurate right out of the box. Let us know how she groups once you've sighted 'er in. Great deer gun and a backup piece for moose.

Nice purchase Bill! I'm going to be sighting in the .222 this weekend on Saturday.

And thanks for the detailed info Ch312. I like the idea of making a bi-pod my self. I think I have some old arrows kicking around, Might try to make something.

If I get her shooting straight this weekend, I'll be sure to post some pics!

• 2 months later...

It has been a very busy winter in my home. There hasn't been much time to get out hunting for coyotes. But I promised my neighbor that I would try to take a few coyotes off his property this winter.

It's a mixed feeling for me, because I love dogs. I serve on a K9 SAR unit, and own a dog. But after seeing what the cyclical pattern of the Coyotes are doing to the local area. I thought I would help out my neighbor.

We where set up and calling for about 20 minutes. These coyotes ignored our calls and where heading for the barn. I was able to stop the coyote quartering toward me slightly, at a distance of 175 yards. The .222 was resting on my home made bi-pod. This was the first shot I have ever taken on a coyote.

The gun snapped, and the coyote dropped instantly. IMG_0969_zpsa0ccdb2f.jpg A clean, healthy coyote. I am meeting with a good friend,and local trapper tomorrow. He's going to give me a lesson on how to process a coyote.

Edited by N.A.W

I guess your piece shoots straight. Nice going. Coyotes and wolves getting close in the country are a nuisance and a danger to livestock, not very great if you are a farmer. Easy for people in the city to poo poo shooting them until one of them kills rover or injures their kid or worse. Just dont let the skin go to waste. It should make you a nice little rug for your bedside so when you get up in the morning, you step on a warm skin and not a cold floor.