Top five auto sales in August

Ford of Canada: 25,461, down 1.8 per cent

General Motors of Canada: 21,070, down 15.9 per cent

Chrysler Canada: 20,569, up 9 per cent

Toyota Canada: 16,125, up 25.9 per cent

Honda Canada: 12,081, up 49.9 per cent

Sources: Company reports, *compared to August 2011

Is your tongue in your cheek BB?

The only reference in that article to GM is about the Cadillac brand and the Volt, which is way overpriced and has already gone through a recall.

Ground breaking news - Consumer Reports are getting more complaints about touch screens and fancy audio systems than they are 5 years ago. These types of systems weren't even available 5 years ago.

I think the respnses to their survey are probably jaded this year - people are upset about the Government bail-outs and are more critical of domestic makers because of that. To base reccomendations based on as little as 100 responses to a survey is irresponsible.

GM in their advertisements says they have top ratings in CONSUMERS DIGEST, a for- profit magazine sponsored by the car makers and others. Do not confuse this with Consumer REPORTS a non-profit organization. I won't even look at GM because of this sleazy tactic alone.

I'm sure GM is very upset that you won't buy one of their vehicles, lol.

Cut and paste

Top five auto sales in August

Ford of Canada: 25,461, down 1.8 per cent

General Motors of Canada: 21,070, down 15.9 per cent

Chrysler Canada: 20,569, up 9 per cent

Toyota Canada: 16,125, up 25.9 per cent

Honda Canada: 12,081, up 49.9 per cent

Sources: Company reports, *compared to August 2011

IMO;

I'm so glad to hear that I'm peeing my pants right now!!! Does this mean they can pay back the loan they were given by us to save the skeleton crew(compared to headier times) that operates in Motor City now????

I'm guessin' that the main reason General Morons is second from the top of the food chain is because they're giving their cars away for 84 MONTHS again and if memory serves me correctly they heavily leveraged against the monthly payments then too.

As far as the Volt goes, I surely hope that the plant that develops and manufactures them is hit by a Biblically Proportioned Bolt of Lightning(After hours of course), so they can at least recoup some of the hoards of money they have sunk into that $40,000+/ea Battery.

In my lifetime (since the 70's) has failed to truly understand the automotive experience as it should be for everyone involved in the process and that is why they are about to Fail once more. Hopefully this time will be the last time.

Edited because I my post was venturing into my usual ramblings that make eyes glaze over.

Edited by moxie

Yes, they are.

Me too....since a LONG time ago I did have one of their credit cards that earned points to use a money when purchasing a vehicle....If I remember correctly, I got just over $1800.00 off the price using those points...then shortly afterward they ended that program...and to today, GM still sends me the adds for their vehicles just as if I still had their GM Credit Card... :dunno:

I am a customer of their online bank..."ALLY BANK"...best rates ANYWHERE... :)

IMO, it is well known nowadays that Toyota is one of the most reliable car makers. Just if they could make them sip less gas.

Reliable at crashing itself into a wall. No thanks.. Toyota isn't what it used to be in the 80's early 90's...

number of automatic cars with 300,000kms+ for sale on autotrader within 100kms of brantford :

chevy : 2

toyota : 9

dodge : 0

ford : 2

nissan : 2

honda : 10

every region shows pretty much the same results in that toyota and honda cars last about twice as long as the rest. you sure don't see many ford, chev, or dodge cars in working condition over 200k, let alone 300k, because they're often put in derby's or scrapped by then.

number of automatic cars with 300,000kms+ for sale on autotrader within 100kms of brantford :

every region shows pretty much the same results in that toyota and honda cars last about twice as long as the rest. you sure don't see many ford, chev, or dodge cars in working condition over 200k, let alone 300k, because they're often put in derby's or scrapped by then.

Using Autotrader.ca as some sort of de facto standard on used cars.... Now THAT is funny! LOL!!!!

Perhaps that is how you interpret the numbers. One could make the argument that Dodge owners are extremely reluctant to sell their reliable vehicles OR that Honda and Toyota automatics are problematic and should be disposed of beyond 300K.

Using Autotrader.ca as some sort of de facto standard on used cars.... Now THAT is funny! LOL!!!!

when was the last time you shopped for a cheaper car? i went through this last year to help a friend and ALL of the higher mileage and older big 3 cars were complete garbage. most ran rough, hard shifting, leaking fluids, tons of rust, horrible mpg, and many parts that can wear had tons of play or were broken. after seeing nothing but junk she decided to spend more money and we started looking at the imports with the same high mileage and it was like comparing apples to oranges. i'd say we looked at and drove about 12-14 cars total and it was very evident that the big 3 cars were junk and simply worn out.

if you'd read what i posted you'd see the point of posting those numbers is the cars from the big 3 are often scrapped or used in demo derbies when they're around the quarter mill mark while imports are still going strong. and no, these people aren't keeping their big 3 cars, they're selling them when they have much lower mileage.

you can use autotrader, kijiji, craigslist, used car dealers, etc to browse for yourself to see REAL WORLD stats on what holds up over the years and miles. but, i'm sure you'd rather listen to websites and magazines that just happen to be funded by the winning brand? :rolleyes:

Perhaps that is how you interpret the numbers. One could make the argument that Dodge owners are extremely reluctant to sell their reliable vehicles OR that Honda and Toyota automatics are problematic and should be disposed of beyond 300K.

from what i've seen, your interpretation is the exact opposite of what really happens.

remember, this is for cars. the big 3 do build good trucks that last, providing it has a ram on the front :whistling:

Reliable at crashing itself into a wall. No thanks.. Toyota isn't what it used to be in the 80's early 90's...

You do know that the case of the "sticking gas pedal" was proven to be 100% user error, don't you? No mechanical problems were found.

If there was ever a case of conflict of interest, it was this one, the American government, part owner of the big 3 NA auto makers leading an investigation into problems with a rival auto maker. As the sales stats show above, it looks like it backfired.

You do know that the case of the "sticking gas pedal" was proven to be 100% user error, don't you? No mechanical problems were found.

If there was ever a case of conflict of interest, it was this one, the American government, part owner of the big 3 NA auto makers leading an investigation into problems with a rival auto maker. As the sales stats show above, it looks like it backfired.

Find me the article that states all those unintended acceleration issues were due to user error... I'll save you the hassle, you can't. But feel free to prove otherwise.

You probably believe 9/11 was a government conspiracy as well eh? The tinfoil hat crowd is strong on this board.

Even if I were to completely ignore the discrepancy in overall quality, it's quite clear that 'import' vehicle manufacturers are typically providing much better working environments for its production employees, often without unions. I say this as an employee of a former GM affiliate.

Not to mention Mexican Motors and El Fordo are outsourcing to foreign plants with god awful living standards, and 'import' brands continue to increase North American production. The line between foreign and domestic may as well not even exist anymore.

...and I love my Tundra. :blahblah1: