GM rated near the top by Consumer Reports

Billy Bob

I've seen 5 transmissions literally explode on new Tahoes while towing in including an OPP vehicle , latest one happened yesterday to my buddy with his 2012 Tahoe , sheared off his exhaust and brake/fuel lines ,dented his floor pan all while his driveshaft was digging into the pavement ..

Threads like this, crack me the hell up. Mine is better than yours.tongue.gif You drive a crap truck.tongue.gif

I drive Ford and Dodge. Both are brand spanking new, and paid for cash.When i get to 50-60K kilometers on them, i am gonna trade them in on 2 more brand spanking new vehicules.One Ford and one Dodge. I'm gonna pay cash for them too, and not a dang thing anyone here can say to change my mind, or hurt my feelings.

Now stop it and go to your quiet placeswink.gif

Threads like this, crack me the hell up. Mine is better than yours.tongue.gif You drive a crap truck.tongue.gif

I drive Ford and Dodge. Both are brand spanking new, and paid for cash.When i get to 50-60K kilometers on them, i am gonna trade them in on 2 more brand spanking new vehicules.One Ford and one Dodge. I'm gonna pay cash for them too, and not a dang thing anyone here can say to change my mind, or hurt my feelings.

Now stop it and go to your quiet placeswink.gif

Point is...difference between 'import' and 'domestic' continues to diminish, and the pride that people associate with either is pretty ridiculous.

Find me the article that states all those unintended acceleration issues were due to user error... I'll save you the hassle, you can't. But feel free to prove otherwise.

You probably believe 9/11 was a government conspiracy as well eh? The tinfoil hat crowd is strong on this board.

General Morons and Crapsler had to do something to slow down the runaway train known as the Import Market and who better to target than Good Ole Numero Uno; Toyota. Sticking gas pedals my eye!! Out of 300,000,000 people theres an ever growing number of them that cant see their feet without a mirror let alone a gas pedal in the drivers bay of a Toyotawhistling.gif. How many of these people knew enough to either switch the transmission to neutral or even pull the key out of the ignition. Toyota took full responsibility and instituted measures to rectify the problem and continues to formulate more safety related features because of this.

Chrapsler rode the minivan transmission fiasco into the 2000's with nary an admission of guilt or an apology to any of the millions of minivan owners.

General Morons rode sensor and relay fiascos for years as well as rack and pinion and front trans axle failures with the same ignorance and lack of admission.

I know I'm reaching but who knows how many incidents led to accidents and/or deaths.

I drive an 02 Sierra with 260,000k and love it. There are certain vehicles both manufacturers build that do have some merit but when either can build vehicle that will last 8 years, 223,000 kms, where no original parts are replaced other than brakes and a battery I might consider buying one because thats what our 04 Honda Accord has done for us.

All In My Humble Opinion of course.

As a student, I can't imagine anything beats old Hondas. Change the oil and they will go forever.

I drove a 1994 Integra that I bought with 285,000 and drove until 313,000 with nothing other than oil changes and a set of brakes.

Currently driving a 2000 Civic, bought it with 185,000 and were running beautifully at 240,000 again just oil changes and preventative maintenance. Changed the water pump/timing belt this summer because I figured it was time, and I like to take things apart.

When I used to commute to Brampton (from Oshawa) I had a Sunfire (2003) fall into my hands for free. Figured I would use it to commute because it had AC and my Integra didn't. The 2003 Sunfire with 130,000kms never made a full round trip to work and back. First trip the alternator gave up on the way home, I replaced it that weekend. Second trip the power steering pump exploded, and I basically drove the car directly to the scrap heap.

Point is...difference between 'import' and 'domestic' continues to diminish, and the pride that people associate with either is pretty ridiculous.

Ya, i get the point of it alright.

Import vehicules are way over priced for what you get.You get far more bang for the buck in a domestic.Especially now in the 2010s and newer.I happen to like Ford and Dodge.They are both at the leading edge of automobile technology, and can not be beat for reliability and service.

added

Oh ya...i wouldnt buy a GM if my life depended on itwhistling.gif

Edited by mercman

I drive an 02 Sierra with 260,000k and love it. There are certain vehicles both manufacturers build that do have some merit but when either can build vehicle that will last 8 years, 223,000 kms, where no original parts are replaced other than brakes and a battery I might consider buying one because thats what our 04 Honda Accord has done for us.

All In My Humble Opinion of course.

We'll just leave the whole Toyota debacle behind us.. I agree, the 5.7 and 4L80E in your Sierra is bulletproof, love that truck.. Oldman has a '07 Duramax with the Allison tranny, doesn't complain regardless of what we hook up to her..

I still haven't found anything that's come close to lasting as long, or gets the mileage my TDI does. My last Jetta had 600,000kms on it before I retired it to pick up my '05 Jetta TDI Wagon which currently has 330,000kms on it. For a daily driver, it's the only thing I'd buy.

96 Ford F-150 5 liter 4wd. 220k. Original front end. Original exhaust. Original tranny fluid. Rusted as hell but drives like brand new. I bought it wrecked for a song in 99 and this truck doesn't owe me a thing. Good enough for me. For going to church on Sunday I drive an 06 Ford Five Hundred SEL. Brakes and sway bar links on her. Thats it. My company trucks are all GM. They are in the shop at least once a month. In fact the brakes on my 06 GMC are pulling badly when I stop right now. They were just fixed about two months ago. CH CHING to the dealership. Glad I'm not paying.

Ya, i get the point of it alright.

Import vehicules are way over priced for what you get.You get far more bang for the buck in a domestic.Especially now in the 2010s and newer.I happen to like Ford and Dodge.They are both at the leading edge of automobile technology, and can not be beat for reliability and service.

added

Oh ya...i wouldnt buy a GM if my life depended on itwhistling.gif

Lmao!!! Love what Ford has done and continues to do. Was looking to buy a Ford Pick-m-up Truck when I happened on the Sierra but the price was right so I dove in. After some initial issues I got her dialed in and she has been rather consistent since.

Chrysler has its main staples such as Rams, Jeeps and......... SEE!!!! That's it!! Oh ya, almost forgot the FIAT 500. They (GM, Chrysler) had a captive North American public for Petes' sake!! If they wouldn't have insisted on force feeding us junk for three decades I might have a different opinion but they continually rested on their laurels from past triumphs and for those reasons alone they will be a distant fifth or even sixth choice in my choosing a ride for our family. Shame on them, and GM.

I just hope more than a whimper is heard the next time they come walking hat in hand for another bailout. I'd be inclined to Drive to a dealership and take a free vehicle of my choice. On second thought I think I'll pass.wink.gif

Edited by moxie

Bill and Gino: you will be delighted to know my mechanic has seen those MK4 TDI's with over a million km. I searched long and hard for one in good condition, but they were non existant and I'm sure its for a reason. My MK3 has to be replaced due to the holes in the floor. 363km and going strong.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

Bill and Gino: you will be delighted to know my mechanic has seen those MK4 TDI's with over a million km. I searched long and hard for one in good condition, but they were non existant and I'm sure its for a reason. My MK3 has to be replaced due to the holes in the floor. 363km and going strong.

TDI engine all the way ;)...durable, economic, powerful...what else you want? :P

TDI engine all the way ;)...durable, economic, powerful...what else you want? :P

Powerful low end but gutless top end. Can't have it all I suppose. Not that its a wise thing to do, but I once spoke to a fella at Lakair that towed his 16' lund with 40-60hp with a Golf TDI and he said it had no issues going up the mountainous terrain of Hwy 69.

Find me the article that states all those unintended acceleration issues were due to user error... I'll save you the hassle, you can't. But feel free to prove otherwise.

You probably believe 9/11 was a government conspiracy as well eh? The tinfoil hat crowd is strong on this board.

Toyota's unintended acceleration issue was no more real than was Audi's in the 80's. Here's the NASA report

just for fun :P

Toyota vs. GM

Good videos! I'm always amazed at how capable some of those rock-crawling guys are. I'd stand and look at that route and say no way could a truck make it through there.

As for the GM truck through the ice.... Are they supposed to fold in the middle like that? Is that hinge a special option? ;)

Been driving a TDI for a long time. No car is perfect, but if you can put up with the quirks of a VW, it's well worth it if you're racking up a lot of kms...

Mike and I drove to Hearst on less then 3/4's of a tank of diesel (55L capacity).. I like when fishing trips don't cost me hundreds in fuel costs.

Plus I do all my own wrenching (TB's, clutches, whatever) which will really save you $$$ if you're a TDI owner.

Edited by BillM

These threads always crack me up. "My truck's better than yours!" "Oh yeah? Well your is a piece of crap!" "Oh yeah?" "Yeah!"

Does anyone truly believe that vehicle manufacturers still make every single part in their vehicles? Amazing, if so, because it hasn't been that way for at least 25 years. With only a handful of very expensive exceptions (Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin, etc) the vast majority of car manufacturers outsource a large number of parts. Toyota didn't build the faulty gas pedals that sent their vehicles crashing into walls, they were sourced from a gas pedal manufacturer in Streetsville, Ontario. That company also sold gas pedals to other manufacturers besides Toyota.

All sorts of parts, like computer control modules, oxygen sensors, brakes, exhaust systems, rads, throttle assemblies, starters, you name it, are outsourced. It's the only way they can keep car prices down. If Toyota had to build every single part by themselves, a Corolla would cost more than $60,000 and no one would ever buy it.

My truck might be better than yours, but not by as much as you might like to think.

Powerful low end but gutless top end. Can't have it all I suppose. Not that its a wise thing to do, but I once spoke to a fella at Lakair that towed his 16' lund with 40-60hp with a Golf TDI and he said it had no issues going up the mountainous terrain of Hwy 69.

sounds like you've never owned one :P...stupid thing is that in N America for some reason they come with less power, my jetta has 100hp here, 130 in Europe, newer models have 140hp here, 175 in Europe...and I drove one in Germany, it's flying ;)

and btw...I'm pulling my Lund with my Jetta barely feeling it :P

Was thinking of buying a 2010 Tahoe to replace my 2003 Safari with 340,000 fairly trouble free kms.

Do it?

I had a 1995 GMC Safari.....CRAPPO....first vehicle with ONLY 63,000 miles on it that I had to replace the FLY WHEEL...let me correct that...it was the ONLY vehicle I had to replace a fly wheel on...and absublately NO HELP from GM...I can't remember everything that went wrong with that WHILE it was under warranty....and I had to fight tooth and nail for GM to repair it....exhaust when it was only 2 years old...Rear shocks at the same time and they didn't want to replace them...BOTH front door power windows....rear hatch struts...power release on the hatch...it went on and on and on....that was the vehicle that made me SWEAR OFF ALL GM vehicles since.

Edited by Billy Bob

sounds like you've never owned one :P...stupid thing is that in N America for some reason they come with less power, my jetta has 100hp here, 130 in Europe, newer models have 140hp here, 175 in Europe...and I drove one in Germany, it's flying ;)

and btw...I'm pulling my Lund with my Jetta barely feeling it :P

My '05 Jetta TDI makes about 180whp/330ftlbs as it sits. Stock they are gutless, but they respond to mods extremely well. Even a stock PD ('04-'06) with just a tune (ECU upgrade) will gain around 40hp/70ftlbs.

Edited by BillM