Anyone float fish with a baitcaster?

Sharkbait22

After 30 plus years of center pin fishing Bill I have to say I am enjoying the bait caster. ;)

But I wouldn't be without the center pin either. thumbsup_anim.gif

I love the baitcaster, especially when the old guy at the 'Geen kicks everyone's ass with it, lol! I'm just saying you can enjoy what you fish and not try and one up everyone else who fishes something different. I guess people need to feel good about themselves, lol.

I love the baitcaster, especially when the old guy at the 'Geen kicks everyone's ass with it, lol! I'm just saying you can enjoy what you fish and not try and one up everyone else who fishes something different. I guess people need to feel good about themselves, lol.

Agreed.

Billy, for someone who's been steelheading for what, 4 years? You seem to have a lot of strong opinions.

Dude, this thread could be about which way to cook a steak, it really doesn't matter. I'll call anyone out who thinks they don't stink.

We've fished together enough, you should expect that from me :)

I've chased the silver buggers with just about every method I can think of... fly, spey, float, hardware, bottom bouncing, spinning reel, float reel, baitcaster, etc.

The pin tends to by my weapon of choice, but I'll happily grab any of the above mentioned weapons from the rack and enjoy myself.

In fact this year I'll be trying to boat flip them like a fat bucket in the slop ;)

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I have some friends just getting into the sport that might be interested in this too bc they have decent bait casters but no float rod. There are a lot of times and places when fish (steelhead salmon etc) hit a spinner or spoon much better than a bead. The ability to do both with one outfit is appealing (cuts down on the rods too).

So is a Calcutta 200 the way to go? There's a new version in a 300, too big?

Just to add to the post, here's my thoughts on the topic.

I believe using a baitcaster is advantageous because of its versatility and the lightness of the reels. Paired with a suitable rod they're a joy to fish.

That said I find float fishing with a centerpin to be more effective in all but the largest flows. I also enjoy fighting fish much more on a long light rod and single action reel.

I also fish with hardware a ton which constantly forces me to carry two rods on the stream. A huge pita at times, but that's the way I roll. :)

I don't believe a baitcaster would be as fun or efficient to fish hardware with as my custom 11' CTS and magnesium bodied spinning reel.

So the bottom line is unless I'm fishing the Black river at Lake O's east eand, the Genessee in Rochester, the Niagara, or some of the flows in Michigan I'm not fishing a baitcaster. I'm carrying two rods and am usually pretty successful doing so.

I can completely understand why someone may choose a more versatile option though.

You'll be proud though Mike, I did put some screws into my boots and now I rock the walk no problemos!!!

So you don't wail like 6 year old kid anymore in any water that's over knee deep?

:)

Still havn't pinned down my date for late November, mainly because it's kind of out of my hands.

As soon as I find out what's going on I'll let you know!

So you don't wail like 6 year old kid anymore in any water that's over knee deep?

Dooooooooood, I was scared for my life!!! Them green-slimey flat rocks were gonna eat me!!! :w00t:

Seriously though... got studs now... and big steelie balls! Ready to kick some chrome around home!! :w00t:

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I have some friends just getting into the sport that might be interested in this too bc they have decent bait casters but no float rod. There are a lot of times and places when fish (steelhead salmon etc) hit a spinner or spoon much better than a bead. The ability to do both with one outfit is appealing (cuts down on the rods too).

So is a Calcutta 200 the way to go? There's a new version in a 300, too big?

I still use a bait cast rod in the 11.5 foot length. St.croix avid steelhead, medium power, fast action. Not many rivers where you need anything over 13. You could get away with a 9 footer on our smaller streams but i wouldn't go much less. 11 ish feels just perfect to me in nearly all river types the Great Lakes has to offer. I avoid the temptation for super long drifts that a long rod can induce. Prefer to use my feet and gradually step down the pool or stretch to cover water. It's getting tougher these days with the crowds to do so...but I've abandoned heavy crowd fishing decades ago so I fare well with that approach now a days.

I know the Calcutta 200 but don't have direct personal experience with them to offer any sound advice.

I use a Shimano core 7 to 1 ratio. Does the trick nicely.

If you come off like that guy did, then I guess so. Although I don't think you would.

My post wasn't intended to disrespect your sensibilities, but to share personal experience with a technique I've spent years with. Reading it over again, I fail to find where you would interpret insult. But in any event, it makes no difference to me in the slightest how others enjoy their angling. As long as they are the size of a match stick in my sight picture, while sharing a river ;)