Heres some twisted thinking about getting a fish and a bird with one stone

Skipper D

While i was out fishing yesterday on the lake then making my way home , there was a flock of geese flying a couple of feet above the water going the same direction i was and realy not all that far from the boat , and at that same time this thought came into me head , if i was a fisherman / hunter after catching my fish all day , could i have pulled out my shotgun while in the boat on the water and taken my limit of geese home as well on the way back to the launch ????????????

Edited by Skipper " D "

Taken from the regs

Hunting may only commence once the motor has been turned off and the boat has stopped its forward progress.

Also, it'd be advisable to check with whatever city/town/county regarding their shooting regs.

Edited by bdox

While i was out fishing yesterday on the lake then making my way home , there was a flock of geese flying a couple of feet above the water going the same direction i was and realy not all that far from the boat , and at that same time this thought came into me head , if i was a fisherman / hunter after catching my fish all day , could i have pulled out my shotgun while in the boat on the water and taken my limit of geese home as well on the way back to the launch ????????????

MNR might have a problem with you chasing the geese with your boat (kidding!) but otherwise, so long as you have the right licenses it's all good. You wouldn't be the first to spend a morning harvesting surf n' turf.

Not a good idea.

Taken from MIGRATORY BIRDS CONVENTION ACT, 1994

HUNTING METHODS AND EQUIPMENT

15. (1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5) and section 23.1, no person shall hunt a migratory bird (in Ontario this only applies to the use of recorded bird calls for snow geese in WMU 65, Mar. 01 - May 31)

(a) except with a long bow and arrow or with a shotgun not larger than number 10 gauge;

( b ) by the use or aid of live birds, including non-migratory birds;

( c ) - by the use or aid of recorded bird calls, except as permitted in any part of Schedule I;

(d) with a shotgun of any description capable of holding more than three shells unless the capacity of the gun has been reduced to three shells in the magazine and chamber combined, by means of the cutting off or the altering or plugging of the magazine with a one-piece metal, plastic or wood filler that cannot be removed unless the gun is disassembled; or

(e) from any aircraft, sailboat, power boat, or motorized vehicle, or any vehicle to which a draught animal is attached.

INTERPRETATION

2. (1) In these Regulations,

“power boat” means any boat, canoe or yacht equipped with an electric, gasoline, oil or steam motor as a means of propulsion; (bateau à moteur)

I have gone duck hunting many time and trolled back thry the walleye grouds for a little surf and turf.. well, not really turf, but close...

The only boat you are allowed to shoot from while moving is a canoe.

Anything else, you are in serious trouble.

When I hunt from my boat, I don't get my gun out untill the motor is out of the water, and I am anchored with ZERO motion on the boat.

Motor must be off(this includes electrics and gas) and the boat must have stopped forward motion. I was stopped once and the CO said we needed to be anchored. I said that wasn't true, pulled out the links and he said ok.

Lots of links on the internet about this.

http://www.ec.gc.ca/alef-ewe/default.asp?lang=En&n=304CC675-1

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ec.gc.ca%2FPublications%2FA30DA873-5623-4DDD-9DF1-E2F2E23DE491%255CQuickReferenceForMigratoryGameBirdHuntersInOntario.pdf&ei=P7WGUISGMNC80AGEloD4Bg&usg=AFQjCNFgw0XD7O1lX3n95INDaK7Ran7u4g&cad=rja

http://www.ec.gc.ca/rcom-mbhr/default.asp?lang=En&n=F566470E-1

Edited by jedimaster

I also thought canoes only, no boats with any kind of motor attached...but I guess I was wrong after checking the above links ;)

"Question: While hunting from a boat, may I start shooting at waterfowl as soon as the engine has been turned off?

Answer: No. Hunting may only commence once the motor has been turned off and the boat (any boat, canoe or yacht equipped with a motor) has stopped its forward progress"

Edited by iFish4real

Motor must be off(this includes electrics and gas) and the boat must have stopped forward motion. I was stopped once and the CO said we needed to be anchored. I said that wasn't true, pulled out the links and he said ok.

Lots of links on the internet about this.

http://www.ec.gc.ca/alef-ewe/default.asp?lang=En&n=304CC675-1

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ec.gc.ca%2FPublications%2FA30DA873-5623-4DDD-9DF1-E2F2E23DE491%255CQuickReferenceForMigratoryGameBirdHuntersInOntario.pdf&ei=P7WGUISGMNC80AGEloD4Bg&usg=AFQjCNFgw0XD7O1lX3n95INDaK7Ran7u4g&cad=rja

http://www.ec.gc.ca/rcom-mbhr/default.asp?lang=En&n=F566470E-1

Good links but it would be far better if EC actually made reference to the actual laws and regulations instead of their summary of those.

The boat, motor boat or not does not have to be anchored or not moving...HOWEVER, the boat motion can not be a result of motion that came from the motor...meaning once the boat settles into the water and is now being moved in any direction because of wind or current, it is legal to fire the proper type of shotguns, using the proper type of ammo during a open season of the waterfowl you are targeting...

So for the Skipper the answer is a DEFINITE YES, you can fish and hunt if you're doing everything else legal....waterfowl / migratory birds (they are not always the same thing) have MANY more rules to follow then most upland bird hunting because of international treaties between many other countries...

Bob

My uncle from Sudbury is a trapper and he was anchored in front of a beaver house, jigging a large minnow while waiting for Mr. beaver to come out. All of a sudden, his line bends in half as if he had been drifting and was snagged on bottom. He set the hook and brought to the surface what he thought was a huge log. To his marvel, a giant walleye came to the surface and he quickly net it. It turned out to be the biggest walleye he had ever caught at a whopping 14 pounds!!!

NOT TRUE..........

I also recall hearing this at my hunters course a dozen years ago... I also don't think this is true in ontario, but in saskatchewan this is the case....

http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/adx/aspx/adxGetMedia.aspx?DocID=1486,246,94,88,Documents&MediaID=971&Filename=Hunting+FAQ.pdf&l=English

Can I use a boat to hunt wildlife in Saskatchewan?

A boat may be used to hunt waterfowl as long as the motor is out of the water and all forward movement of

the boat from the motor has stopped. It is legal to row or use the current of the water to move the boat. This

will allow hunters to set up a blind in the boat and jump shoot ducks. Hunters should ensure there are no

residences within 500m of where they are shooting from as well. It is also legal to hunt big game from a boat

as long as you are not chasing or harassing wildlife with that boat. Discharging a firearm from a boat or

having a loaded firearm in a boat is legal by its definition in The Wildlife Act, as a motorboat is not

I believe and don't quote me on this that there are provincial additions to restrictions on hunting from a boat. I believe that there used to be this stipulation of the motor out of the water in Ontario at some point. It is still in effect in some provinces.

For ontario it states that you are not allowed to hunt from a boat accept under the provisions of the migratory bird act circa 1994. All guns in a boat must be unloaded unless you fall under those provisions. So while you are fishing your guns must be unloaded and you must follow the rules of transportation. Now there was some debate at some point that when the boat is no longer in motion your guns must fall under the storage laws. I was told trigger lock them to be safe as then you will comply no matter what, however I don't believe this is actually law. Again we all know that sometimes its better to be safe than in front of a judge pleading your case.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@fw/documents/document/251888.pdf

Page 24 Top left paragraph

It is illegal to have a loaded firearm in or on, or discharge

a firearm from, an aircraft, vehicle (including snowmobile

and all-terrain vehicle) or motorboa

A bit further down on the same document as above

MOTORBOATS: Under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation

Act, 1997, a motorboat means a boat with a motor that is

attached to the boat (see Definitions on page 86). There

is an exception to this rule if you are hunting waterfowl in

accordance with the Migratory Birds Convention Act, 1994.

As for the migratory bird act... It specifically states that you are NOT allowed to hunt from a motor boat...However the stipulation as follows....

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/C.R.C.,_c._1035/page-1.html

(3) A reference in these Regulations to the use of a power boat does not include the use of a power boat when the motor is not in operation and forward progress has ceased.

This is the provision that allows you to hunt from a powerboat/motor boat as long as the boat has stopped moving and the motor is off.

This also includes your electric trolling motor which must also be turned off and afaik from the last time I talked about this that means it has to be off and the momentary switch must NOT be operational. Momentary on means idle and motor is operational.

Edited by jedimaster

Ok.

If I am an angler/hunter can I go fishing and have my gun in the boat with me ?

Catch my limmit of(whatever)fish I want and hunt or shoot prey at the same time as long as I follow the regulations governing hunting or fishing weather it be fish or wild life?

Can you have your surf and turf and eat it to??

Personaly I dont think you should.

I think that a person would be at risk to not only themselves but any one in the boat with them.

Fishing rods and tight lines wouldnt mix well with guns in a boat.

My father always told me growing up that you werent aloud to have a gun in a boat unless you were hunting.

Made sence to me at a young age and still does.

Your either hunting or fishing not both...

jigging up some fish and shooting passing waterfowl at the same time is what i call one hell of a day. i've never even thought of this before, but talk about excellent timing. i'm heading to long point next week so i guess mr. 870 is going for a boat ride :canadian:

birds seem to know when they're safe and usually have no issues passing by a fishing boat, but will steer clear of a guys hunting. i'm thinking you may be onto something with fooling wary birds :thumbsup_anim:

Ok.

If I am an angler/hunter can I go fishing and have my gun in the boat with me ?

Catch my limmit of(whatever)fish I want and hunt or shoot prey at the same time as long as I follow the regulations governing hunting or fishing weather it be fish or wild life?

Can you have your surf and turf and eat it to??

Personaly I dont think you should.

I think that a person would be at risk to not only themselves but any one in the boat with them.

Fishing rods and tight lines wouldnt mix well with guns in a boat.

My father always told me growing up that you werent aloud to have a gun in a boat unless you were hunting.

Made sence to me at a young age and still does.

Your either hunting or fishing not both...

I have a funny feeling SD that rule was made up just for you way back when so somebody would'nt have to worrie about some of your ideas .......... lol

Edited by Skipper " D "