Costa del mar vs. maui Jim?

super dave

I have a couple Costa del mars .. They have great customer service and of course really good sunglasses . I have both plastic lens and glass .. Personal the glass one are little heavier but well worth the extra bucks.

With that said I also have heard many good things about Maui Jim's . Best to try them both on .

Maui Jim's are considered by most optometrists to have the most effective polarized lens system. I recently bought a pair of Maui Jim Stingray's with the HCL Bronze lens and it's like living in HD. They are great for lots of different light conditions and the polycarbonate lens protect against errant sticks and lures!

There is a topic I posted about sunglasses, back in August or July that had tons of info from a bunch of other users here. It might be helpful to check it out.

*Edit*

Here's the link, in case you were interested.

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64258&hl=sunglasses&st=0

Edited by GreenCanada

Whatever you decide think about paying the extra $$ for glass lenses. Any style of plastic lenses will scratch and the clarity just isn't quite as good.

I have a pair of costas with the 580 glass lens and they're fantastic. No experience with Maui so I can't compare. I suspect you'll be pretty happy with either brand. If you do go with costa's make sure you find a pair that fits you. They have many different sizes of frames so be careful if you're considering buying them online.

Edited by timmeh

• 8 months later...

DSC07659.JPG

My votes...

and i've tried most of the commonly available brands with polarized lenses. Just a little research will narrow it down to 3 or 4 that produce the best lenses, and from there you can decide what styles you like. There's a clear difference if you do side by side comparisons. A friend had cheap department store "polarized" glasses and was struggling to see the same fish swimming by. cheap glasses have crooked polarizing layers don't cut the reflection and glare as effectively and the lenses are distorted.

Besides the optical quality, i've had all good warranty experiences with them. The thing is they MUST be bought through an authorized dealer for good after service. I dropped a pair off my head onto cement, smashed both glass lenses, they replaced the pair for peanuts. I broke an arm off a titanium pair 2 years after buying them...got a new pair for nothing. I cracked several pairs of frameless Rx lenses at the bridge..all replaced free. They were Lahaina's so if you have a fat head, don't bother to try them. My newest pair of Rx MJ's got a lens scratched while helping move my sister's toilet, They weren't even a month old and the lens was replaced free...not just polished out, they ground a new one. Rx MJ's are pricey but they're good for the day's you don't want to wear contacts.

their quality + service will have me going back as long as it keeps up.

a good #2 for me are the revo glass lens. I don't care for the colored mirroring on costa's but they do have good glass lenses.

I have nothing good to say about any plastic lenses, i've seen the distortions in most of them, even good brands when they have full frames...tightening the frame around a plastic lens bends it. You can see the flex and stress points by looking at them with another polarized pair of glasses. :D