Has anyone made a small wood stove for their ice hut?

chris.brock

I was thinking I would try and convert an old propane cylinder or something similar, into a little air tight for the ice hut. I'm wondering if anyone has done this before and has any tips/ ideas. There's a small stove for sale at Home Hardware ($89), but I'd like to keep the project as least expensive as possible. Also, I don't have access to a welder.

I was thinking I would try and convert an old propane cylinder or something similar, into a little air tight for the ice hut. I'm wondering if anyone has done this before and has any tips/ ideas. There's a small stove for sale at Home Hardware ($89), but I'd like to keep the project as least expensive as possible. Also, I don't have access to a welder.

I know a guy who did the propane tank trick and it works like a charm

Have seen it done and it works great. I'm guessing that a grinder or steel cutting blade could do some of the cutting. Welding seems to be key to making it air tight. One guy talked about riveting the stack in place, not sure that I would trust that. Maybe nuts and bolts and pack the seams with a fireplace door gasket. The big thing is to make absolutely sure that the tank is free of propane. Lots of videos on YouTube and some good ideas

I just googled "propane tank wood stove" and there are some interesting ideas out there. Looks like it would work pretty good.

If you do decide to make one, be sure to post up the results :canadian:

You might want to PM Skipper D. He has a nack for that sort of stuff :whistling:

Edited by N.A.W

I made one out of an old BBQ propane tank years ago for my 6X8 hut. It worked awesome. I turned the propane tank upside down so the valve was towards the floor. I cut a door in the tank and attached the "cut out" piece with a hinge. Then I cut out a circle on the top (which is actually the bottom of the tank) and attached some stove pipe. Inside the tank I made a small grill to provide some air flow inside. I always used those "Javalogs" that you can buy from the grocery store. They worked great and smelled awesome. lol It kept the hut btwn 75-80 degrees even on the coldest days on Simcoe.

The big thing is to make absolutely sure that the tank is free of propane.

That would be my main concern having lost one of my uncles from Gooderham, who was cutting a 45 gallon glycol barrel in half to make burn barrels for his neighbour. Bet most never thought of car antifreeze as being explosive.

I think i would want to start with a tank that i knew the tap has been left open for the last six months or so , fill it with water .... been there done that pretty scary , i'd say if you can get the valve off then fill the tank with sand till you get the door cut out then you'd be good to go after that . Note : we had a customer with a propane powered pick up truck that i converted back to gas for him , After every thing was said and done he left the propane tank here , the scrap yard would'nt take it , i then took all the fittings and the gage off it and left it to sit for the summer , later i cut it in half with the tourch and there was no Boom , the scrap yard took it then .... lol . I would think another good thing to use for thease small wood stoves would be a portable AIR PIG ... they come in two sizes , very safe to work with and no one has to worry about any one getting hurt . Thats my 2 cents , if you need help with any thing just remember am here for ya .............

Edited by Skipper " D "

All that you need is a jig saw and a drill.

Use stove bolts for fasteners .

If you have two tanks , use one to make a door 1" larger than the opening on the stove it will have the curve to help with the seal.

Just make sure the tank has been washed and vented for a week or two.

Just saying, Why go though all that mess, carting wood, cleaning ash, frying the guy close to the stove, taking up space. Get yourself a Mr Heater or a Colman 2 burner cook stove. Most rental huts have propane cook stoves now. Just saying.

yeah, I hear ya, but there's just something about a fire, the smell, the sight of the smoke coming out of the chimney on a cold January morning

I already have a catalytic propane heater, but I think I would enjoy the homemade wood stove

yeah, I hear ya, but there's just something about a fire, the smell, the sight of the smoke coming out of the chimney on a cold January morning

I already have a catalytic propane heater, but I think I would enjoy the homemade wood stove

An ice shack just isn't an ice shack without a wood stove :thumbsup_anim:

S.