hunter slips while shooting, dies

chris.brock

So unfortunate. My condolences to his family and friends. I had a teenage cousin from Elliot Lake who tripped while walking behind his hunting partner while also crossing a fallen log. He landed nearly face down in the mud with the end of the shotgun barrell under his chin. All his partner heard was "Oops," from him then a bang, and half his head was gone. I was taught to not put a shell into the chamber till just before you shoot especially if your walking. It may take you one or two seconds longer to get a shot off, but with practice you can learn to do it quick enough to still get a shot off if the game is on the wing.

Most of these accidents are preventable, it's too bad that they still happen.

he must have taken hunting and gun handling rules too easily...

I don't like your comment, keep stuff like that to yourself please! Haven't you heard of a freak accident?

And don't you realize that some people, are hurting from this loss and are possibly reading these forums....... :asshat:

I don't think the comment was out of line at all.

It's a terribly unfortunate accident, but maybe it will remind others to think twice about gun safety practices which may have become lax with time.

Walking on a slippery river bank with a loaded weapon is definitely a "lax" behaviour.

Yes,if the saftey is on,you should be good.

Hunting with my auto,there,s never a bullet in the chamber. The mag is loaded,but it,s just a quick pull,and it is in ready. Sad to hear of a lost of a young one.

very sad accident, there was another accident this past weekend somewhere else I heard aobut...condolences to family and friends...accidents do happen, even to the most prepared safe people, and to the unprepared

when there is a round in the chamber it's a live gun, the safety doesn't matter in mind, they are mechanical and can and will fail...i don't trust a safety, it's just there as a precaution, not as a guarantee

when hiking my chamber is always empty...still hunting, spot and stalk, and bird hunting there is a live round in my guns 99% of the time and I cover ground differently....crossing a creek the action is open, climbing over a log the action is open, the gun is out of my hands, on the ground, muzzle dirction considered and then i climb over the obstacle....steep embankment or cross a creek, action open

i've stopped hunting with a buddy because he always has a round in the action, when we move spots he will throw the sling over his shoulder and i'll snap at him...."what, the safety is on"....doesn't make a difference, your backpack could bump it, it can fail, you can fall...if everybody didn't trust the safety and treated every gun as hot, there would be far fewer accidents

I was taught to not put a shell into the chamber till just before you shoot especially if your walking. It may take you one or two seconds longer to get a shot off, but with practice you can learn to do it quick enough to still get a shot off if the game is on the wing.

in situations where you need to shoot very quickly and unexpectedly such as when hunting rabbit, grouse, driving deer, or jump shooting waterfowl, walking around with an empty chamber isn't really practical as the animal will be gone in 1 second. only tom knapp could put one in the chamber and get a couple shots off quick enough :thumbsup_anim: but, the majority of hunting situations will permit an empty chamber while walking around without hindering your chances of taking home dinner.

that said, i keep one in the chamber whenever possible as proper muzzle control is the best method to avoid accidents.

sinclair, we're talking about hunting arms so they're referred to as firearms, not weapons.

someone would actually give up hunting with a buddy because he walks around with a loaded gun? i could understand if he was muzzle sweeping you or doing something that's actually unsafe, but simply because he carries a loaded gun? seriously?

someone would actually give up hunting with a buddy because he walks around with a loaded gun? i could understand if he was muzzle sweeping you or doing something that's actually unsafe

that's exactly the case in my situation...like I said, certain types of hunting my gun is loaded 99% of the time...but I don't trust just the safety and I don't swing the muzzle over my shoulder with people behind me...imagine hiking up a ridge, glassing, focusing on the trail and then looking up and there's a muzzle pointed at your face...not cool

I don't have the links but here's a quick copy & paste from another forum I read, all in the past two weeks

“A young woman is dead after a hunting mishap near Grande Prairie, Alberta.”

“A father-son hunting trip took a fatal turn when a 63-year-old man from Prince Albert, Sask., accidently shot and killed his 36-year-old son in rural Saskatchewan.”

Near Vernon on Thursday –currently under investigation

“The body of Tracy De Montezuma was found Thursday afternoon in a densely forested area of the Aberdeen Plateau, not far from where his truck was spotted Sunday on a remote logging road.”

Near Ottawa on Sunday-again the investigation is ongoing

“A 22-year-old man was killed in a hunting incident Sunday evening south of Ottawa, near Osgoode, after he was accidentally shot in the head”

Hunter orange might have prevented 2 of the deaths & helped in finding the BC hunter sooner.(“The man was well hidden, dressed in camouflage, when the dog team found him in an area where searchers had combed several times. "A lot of people here have been very, very close to where he was..”)

I believe there was also another incident in a cabin in yukon/alaska, moving a loaded gun inside a cabin and it went off

Fifty years ago I knew man who lived in the same log cabin on the Bonnechere River that he was born in 70 years before that.

One morning when he was a young boy he looked out the cabin window and saw a bear hunched over their canoe at the waters edge, so he grabbed the family rifle, stuck it out the window and killed the bear.

When he went down to the water he realized the "bear" he'd just killed was actually his father.

This story sounds like it was just a freak, tragic accident. There is nothing that tells me the hunter was careless at all. He was taking a shot, and slipped. It could happen to anyone.

Sad story, I hate reading these. They really make ya think!

S.

How many people were killed in non hunting accidents last week? Most accidents are not, they could have been prevented if people follow the rules that everyone is supposed to be aware of, I believe that every province requires some sort of hunter safety education before hunting there. Maybe not the territories. The question i have to ask is why does this make news? Why does it become a topic of some discussion here? How many people died while driving and texting or killed someone else last year while doing the same? I don't see a lot of posts about that. There seems to be an anti gun or anti hunting flavor to it, it's almost an effort to say 'there see, firearms are dangerous'. Other outdoors forums have members who post every article they see about firearms deaths accidental or otherwise while claiming to not be anti gun, perhaps not, but you surely aren't helping.

Regardless of your personal view points on firearms you must accept that people die all of the time while doing something the knew they shouldn't have done. If you follow the safety rules with firearms and all of the rules of being sure of your target there would be almost no incidents, yes sometimes all of the best practices in the world won't be enough, weird things happen. But that is not a firearms only problem, it happens with everything everyday. As an aside if people followed the rules hunters orange wouldn't be needed, but then if people didn't still drink and drive, or text and drive, speed, etc. we would need a lot fewer police officers and paramedics.