Boat Winterization

sneak_e_pete

Hi there. I am storing my boat at my trailer this winter and it has to be put away by October 7.

I just bought the boat new this year - Smokercraft ProMag 182.

All I have owned before this was a small aluminum tiller. I am hoping someone can direct me to a great resource on how to winterize the actual boat itself (I am good with the motor).

I want to do it myself, but since I have never owned a big boat, I am not sure of all that needs to be done. Thanks in advance.

· Remove the drain plug

· If it has a live well run RV antifreeze thru the system on recirculate for about 5minutes to insure all water in hoses is removed

· Jackup the trailer and block it so all weight is off the tires Check the tire pressures then cover the tires with plastic bags to keep the weather off them

· If it has an onboard fuel tank I would use marine stabile, it's the blue stuff not the red one, run the motor for about ten minutes to circulate the stabile thruthe motor. I then use Seafoam in the tank with the stabile

· Lower the motor and let all the water drain from the lower unit

· I then replace the lower unit oil, this allows me to see if there is any water inthe oil as well as insure I have fresh oil for the spring

· If you're not going to remove the batteries make sure they have a full charge

· I also remove any fuses so that there is no oxidization as well as insures that nothing gets switched on by accident over the winter

· If the boat has any compartments I always prop them open for circulation.

· I remove the prop and check the seals then re-grease the prop shaft and replace prop

· Cover and dream of the start of a new fishing season J

Edited by UglyBug

Take the seats out and store them in your trailer(mice love the foam for bedding)seal the whole thing up as best you can.Racoons can make a real mess of the interior and your insurance probably DOESN'T cover the damage they do.

vance

Change the engine oil if a 4 stroke, fog engine, stabilize fuel (run for a few minutes with treated fuel before fogging), change lower unit oil and replace the seal on the drain plug, some antifreeze in the livewell pump, charge the batteries and disconnect them, shrinkwrap or tarp and wait till spring to open. However you wrap it, make sure you open up all compartments to breathe.

Better then soap is MOTH BALLS.....get a box and take 3-5 small plastic bags with several small holes cut into them.....divide the moth balls equally between them and place them throughout storage areas in the boat AND UNDER THE MOTOR COVER....remove come spring and save for the next year....shouldd get 5+ years out of the same moth balls....been doing this for 27 years without any mice problems in my fishing machine... :thumbsup_anim: