Bad Drivers

tapout

Hi everyone, been sometime since I've been on. Haven't been fishing in awhile as just been working a lot. Need to get out :Gonefishing: .

What brought me here is a question about taking videos with a camera installed in a vehicle and posting the videos online where the licence plates or faces of the drivers are visible and recognizable. I've seen a few videos on YouTube from around the GTA where this is the case. Is this legal? The videos I'm referring to are of driver's committing traffic violations. Do those areas have to be "blurred" out according to the law? I've contacted the Office of the Privacy Commissioner and the Ontario Privacy Office and neither seem to know where that fits in as each said and I quote, " Thats not within our jurisdiction ". Curiosity is getting the better of me. Anyone in the legal field, I.e Lawyers, Police Officers, etc. have any idea?

well there should be no expectations that a traffic cam or security cam wouldn't record you while driving

everyone knows every phone has a camera and dash cams are become the norm with law enforcement and the public

so if you posted it with no comment, they would have little right to go after you

but if you posted it on morondrivers.com and posted "watch what the moron jerk does while driving on the dvp", you could be taken to court

What expectation to privacy is there?

Car on a public road = zero

My licence plate is readily visible (as required by law) anytime my car is on the road or parked in my drive-way.

Concerns:

How is the camera being operated? re cellphone/handheld laws

Is it really worth the headaches that may come with it?

There are actually quite a few commercial products offered in the market place that do exactly this. Primarily aimed at tractor trailer fleets as a method of driver management, training and improvement, they have also played some pivitol roles in establishing liability in vehicle crashes. Example: My link The results of these have been primarily used in civil actions (settling lawsuits). FNA can probably provide some insight into what could be done for taping a moron (hopefully you arent doing it using your phone while driving :jerry: ).

Funny this thread comes up..Today I was driving down a 2 lane road (in each direction)here in Brantford in the outside lane when a woman in a toyota grey comes flying up the inside lane to pass me on the right..There was a car parked ahead so she decides she has to get in front of me, so she just puts her drivers mirror and door into the front fender of my ram 1500..Then proceeded to scrape her mirror down the side of my moving truck.. I am fine but Heart Broken.. That truck is my pride n joy..its a 2008 and in MINT shape.Less then 100 thou k. Anyway long story short the police refused to do a report cause it was in town and I had to go to a collision reporting centre. I still have no idea if this moron was at fault. Im sure she is but who knows..Now its up to our insurance companies to sort it out. If I had a dash cam to show exactally what she did would that be evidence enough to have her charged and make her insurance company pay for my repairs? This woman should have been charged with careless driving as this happened right in frnt of a busy high school. So upset, i know its just a truck but I bought her brand new and kept it that way all these years. This twit comes along and wrecks it in seconds then talks to me like how dare I get in her way...End rant but I did ask a question in there too....lol

ouch, that sucks Ron. Sorry to hear about that. She will likely be found at fault and your company will settle with you then subrogate hers (and recover the costs). This shouldn't affect your rates, especially if you dont have any other accident sin th elast 4 years. If it goes any other way you may want to follow up. PM me if that happens - I may be able to help. Of course you'll still have after market replacements parts - and if they are anything like the once used on my old van after the tornado gently hurled a large tree branch on it, the mirror will shake and although it will look the same - you will know.

ouch, that sucks Ron. Sorry to hear about that. She will likely be found at fault and your company will settle with you then subrogate hers (and recover the costs). This shouldn't affect your rates, especially if you dont have any other accident sin th elast 4 years. If it goes any other way you may want to follow up. PM me if that happens - I may be able to help. Of course you'll still have after market replacements parts - and if they are anything like the once used on my old van after the tornado gently hurled a large tree branch on it, the mirror will shake and although it will look the same - you will know.

Cool thanks Rick. Ill keep ya posted..Somtimes I wonder if its worh having anything nice anymore..Seems some jerk will always come along and ruin it for me..Sooo upsetting.

Been there... When I got my first brand new car in 2003 Nissan Sentra some jerk decided to back into the rear bumper leaving a basketball size dent on the bumper and took off. The beauty part was I had parked my car int neighbors lot for 90 seconds to shuffle my cars around and I came back to find that.... Oh and I had the car for about a week.

Not to cause problems but I would calmly got to the station and politely ask to talk to the officer in charge of the station and show him the video.

In a case like that there should have been a report. But I can also understand if they were extremely busy they could have fluffed you off to keep you from waiting several hours

If you go over to the automotive section of Red Flag Deals, there is a specific thread where people post dash cam videos. Lately, a driver nicknamed Ragu was busted for insurance fraud due to someone's use of a dash cam. Seems Ragu had disconnected his tail and brake lights, backed into the car behind him during a stall in traffic, and then accused this driver of having hit him from behind. Bad day for Ragu as his victim had a dash cam recording which proved otherwise.

The dash cam footage was posted to the internet, Ragu became the poster boy for vehicle insurance fraud and was then charged with 3 or 4 offences. The person posting the video was not charged with anything.

I'll take bets that we will see a toyota corolla at some point in this video

i work by the airport; the place is a war zone

I agree 100 % , I too work at the airport and that area is terrible for bad drivers . I have stories almost every day about bad drivers in that area :dunno:

spin, what you suggested about the subro does not occur in no fault insurance.

there is no subrogation in no fault insurance. each party is covered by his/her insurance company, regardless of fault.

No fault insurance is for BODILY INJURY not property damage.....at least that is the way it works down here in the USA

spin, what you suggested about the subro does not occur in no fault insurance.

there is no subrogation in no fault insurance. each party is covered by his/her insurance company, regardless of fault.

Yeah, they consider it a knock for a knock... Costs them more to subro than it does to just pay out.

not up here billy.

we have what is called DCPD (direct compensation property damage).

it saves insurance companies from going after each other, as with fault determination rules, there is always an at fault party. as such, every single accident would have one insurance company going after another for compensation (or otherwise known as subrogation).

this would not be cost effective.

as such, regardless of fault, the "not at fault" driver's insurance company does not go after the "at fault" drivers insurance company.

This is a great system.

the courts can find you innocent

but the insurance co is above that..

and due to fault determination rules jack up your rates 400%

My 7 years are up Feb 12, 2013.. I'm looking at 2500/year rate reduction

is there a boat show in feb?

not up here billy.

we have what is called DCPD (direct compensation property damage).

it saves insurance companies from going after each other, as with fault determination rules, there is always an at fault party. as such, every single accident would have one insurance company going after another for compensation (or otherwise known as subrogation).

this would not be cost effective.

as such, regardless of fault, the "not at fault" driver's insurance company does not go after the "at fault" drivers insurance company.