An Unexpected Surprise

GreenCanada

I've been debating posting this, but figure what the heck.

It was my friends birthday a couple of weeks ago, so we all went up to our cottages to enjoy the water and so I could get some big water fishing in.

So, I'm walking down to the rock breakwall early in the morning to try and catch a few big smallies and notice my friend outside with his girlfriend (another good friend of mine), working on a stump coffee table his is making. *Sidenote* he is really getting into making these interesting types of furniture and they look great. So I stop in and chat with them for a few minutes... He tells me to hang on a second, while he runs inside to grab me something.

He comes back out with one of those gift tubes for wine bottles. I'm a bit surprised, but it was my birthday a couple of weeks ago, so I figure maybe they got me a bottle of wine. It weighed about 5lbs or so... At this point they are both glowing, so I was starting to get a bit suspicious...so they say "close your eyes, open the lid, and dump it out on the table".

This is what was in the container. (I just organized it on a felt board)

img2012090500316.jpg

I couldn't believe my eyes. There were about a dozen Kwikfish, a couple Rapala's, a couple old Little Cleos that aren't made anymore, some Nasty Boy's, Hedon trolling spoons, Daredevil trolling spoons, and a bunch more salmon/steelhead spoons.

I couldn't believe I was given all this stuff for free. I truly have a couple of great friends, who thought of me when her dad was getting rid of a bunch of his salmon gear and other tackle because he doesn't fish very often anymore.

This really was one of those "one mans trash is another mans treasure".

Cheers

The real prize in there is that blue and silver Tadpolly (far left, fourth from bottom). Those things are just murder on salmon staging off river mouths.

That glow in the dark Fireplug, and the chrome Fireplug are right behind the Heddon Tadpully, didnt see any Ping a T's though, maybe there in the next batch

Caught my first rainbow trout on the exact same jointed orange Beno (second row, second from top). That was back in 1977 in Oshawa Creek when 9 yrs. old.

Tons of spoons there. You could pull those spoons out on Lake Ontario for those Pacific bows and salmon. :Gonefishing:

Thanks for all the comments and identifications!

I was pretty shell shocked at their generosity, considering I've been helping my dad get his new to him 16' Northwood 1675 Fisherman up and running. So it was perfect timing! It looks like we are pretty set for salmon tackle, since we already had a bit.

Dan, I'll make sure to let him know ;) lol

Spiel, thanks for letting me know what the tandem trebles were likely for, I had no clue.

I'm still working my way through the collection, for things I can use off a pier. Some of the spoons are too thin (ie. too light) to chuck very far, so they are going to be used for 3-way trolling or downrigging.

:thumbsup_anim:

I'd be taking her dad fishing a couple times....

that reply I just don't get to this whole topic :unsure:

Nice score for sure GC! enjoy and when you land your first keeper/eater on one of those lures have them over for a meal. :thumbsup_anim:

It is a great group of friends you have for sure. The measurement of the gift is not the value of the lures but that they thought about what would make you happy and they did it. The taking of the original owner fishing is a way to show them that you value what they passed on and that they will not just end up rusting in a pile or sold for a few bucks. I don't see that the comment is incorrect and would be thrilled if someone called me and thanked me in that fashion when a gift is give.

Art