Why is my tree doing this?

Joey

My pine tree seems to be dying from the top down. I've googled it with not much success as there could be many reasons, but not really the answer I'm looking for since the bottom seems so healthy and I don't see any beetles or bugs on it. I don't use pesticides in the yard either. Any arbourists or anyone have any ideas? I've taken a pic of the top, which this year started with only about 1 foot of dead parts, which has now ended up at about 5 or 6 feet of dead. Bottom and middle are fine and looking healthy, but at this rate, it's not looking good that it will make it much longer. I took a long shot too so you can see how tall the tree actually is, so it must be pretty old and secure in the ground by now. Any ideas?

lightening maybe?

Thanks for your help anyone.

7810523596_7336d145cf_b.jpg

7810542560_73c091c8f6_b.jpg

7810535932_f1ff10b5fd_b.jpg

7810509054_4763a45200_b.jpg

7810515818_c616a7f20a_b.jpg

Here's some detailed info as to what's happening to your Colorado Blue Spruce.

Spruce Budworm

(Choristoneura fumiferana)

The spruce budworm is a destructive forest pest which sometimes attacks shade trees. It prefers balsam fir and white spruce, but also injures red, black, Norway, Engelmann, and blue spruces, hemlock, and larch. The adults are dull-grey moths with the forewings overlaid with spots of brown. They are in flight in July or early August and deposit masses of overlapping eggs on the underside of needles near the periphery of the crown. The larvae hibernate without feeding in the autumn. They become active in the spring, generally two weeks before the bursting of the buds of balsam fir. The new buds of staminate flowers are attacked first, if present, otherwise the larvae mine into the old needles before moving to the ends of the branches and boring into the expanding vegetative buds. When half-grown, the larvae tie the tips of two or more twigs together with silk, forming a small nest. The larvae are brown with a yellowish stripe laterally, and light spots on the back. Feeding is completed by the end of June and pupation takes place among the loose webs on the twigs. There is only one generation per year. The beauty of infested trees is temporarily spoiled because as the needles dry they turn brownish. Heavy feeding results in stunted growth, especially in the tops, and tree death.

CONTROL

• Spray the foliage when the caterpillars are actively

feeding from mid-May to mid-June. Use dimethoate,

malathion, carbaryl, B.t., or acephate.

• Do not use Malathion on blue spruce.

That's a spruce tree unfortunately. Look up spruce budworm.

bud worm is probably the right answer ..phinitrathion or malathion are two chemicals to kill them i used to work forest protection in the late 80s in New Brunswick.. unfortunately for the tree..it needs to be removed though its going to be a fire hazzard soon

LOL I can believe J didnt see that. :w00t:

Tie up to the Chevy,pull in the direction of the road,and cut it down. Need some help :tease:

No need to even tie that one to anything, B. That tree is a piece of cake. You might lose a limb off the birch, but should be able to clear it ;) The biggest problem with that one is the mess its going to make!

S.

For sure, I had a couple of broken limbs and the dead wood removed from my big old willow, $800 plus tax later this spring :wallbash:

I also have quotes on two huge trees down,and two massive trees trimmed. Thousands of dollars. Small steps at a time is what I'm doing.