Buying A New TV (Definately NOT Fishing)

Photoz

I've seen advice on this page on EVERYTHING but TV sets over the years, is this a first? I bought Sony 34" XBR TV in 1986, it lasted until 1999, then it died. On advice from Sony, I didn't waste any time or money on it, ($250.00 to check it over, then find they don't keep parts 13 years back?) I just bought a new one . . . a 36" XBR. This one has now passed it's 13th birthday, so I'm looking. A couple things I'd like to know . . . . it is 2D & 3D capable . . . . is there anything worth watching in 3D yet? I also record most of what I watch . . . do I need a NEW HD / DVD recorder? Is it just a normal DVD recorder? And then we have 'Blue Ray' & 'the other?' What is 'the other?' I'll be looking for something in the 45" to 50" range . . . (preferably Sony again) my living room is a good size. I appreciate any pointers you can give me . . . . I have no clue about this stuff any more! (I presently have my eye on a Bravia HX850 . . . . watta machine!)

Personally I would be looking at a HD tv for sure,a couple or three of usb ports,a lot of the newer tv's have internet ready.( To be used as a monitor,need be,also a bonus).That is good for let's say net flicks,if you should choose, IMO after owning plasma and lcd,my favourite is lcd,but haven't tried led.

3D is not quite there" yet",it is but not a lot of programs. IMO and maybe never from what I've read and heard. The highest available processor is also a advantage to quicker and sharper images. Although they cost a bit more,well worth the money. Good luck on your entertainment hunting!!!

Edited by davey buoy

I would bother with 3D yet, it's still a long way until there will be enough 3D programming available for it. Definetly go HD ( actually it is pretty hard to find one that isn't HD) I used to be a Sony guy also. But now I am all Samsung or LG. Sony have nice Bravia, but they are more expensive for the same specs than LG or Samsung. I have a 52" Samsung HD for 3 years now and it is probably on 18 hours a day. And it's still as clear as Day 1.

Plasma is okay if you are putting it in a dark basement away from any sun glare, if not LCD is the way to go. Refresh rate of at least 120hz or more. My 52" is 60hz and I can see a bit of movement in the background. I have a 50" with refresh of 120 and it is crystal clear.

You are looking at about $1,300.00 for a very good 52" with all the bells and whistle that you'll need. The Sony Bravia would be a tad more than that.

Go with Samsung,LG or Sony, they are all well built with top notch technology. Stay away from Citizen, RCa and other bugger companies.

Edited by wallyboss

Im very happy with our Samsung.

Same here.

Samsung is the worlds biggest MFG of glass for LCD's and keep the best for themselves and sell the rest to the others like SONY, Dell, HP and many others. LG is next in line, sorry Joey. Samsung even makes Apple products.

I worked for Samsung for 2 years and needless to say ALL my stuff (tv, fridge, stove and more) is Samsung. I did get a heck of a deal on it too so why not buy some of the best stuff out there. Now, it's been many years sice I worked there and everything is going as strong today as the day I got it.

You will need a HD box from bell/rogers and a HDMI cable (audio & video in 1) or 2 or 3. Make sure your suroundsound amp can take HDMI and you should be good to go. I had to go get a new amp but it wasn't much at all. Good luck.

Geoff

Costco did (double check current policy) double manufacture's 1 warranty to two years automatically. Given the current limited longevity of these products it might be of value.

You don't have to get a HD box (either bought or supplied by your cable company) but I really like it for sports and nature/travel shows. At this point, imo, unless you are really into 3D video games and/or 3D movies I would not bother with 3D tv.

My 2008 LG lasted 18 months.

Not shocked. My dad's LG range is less than a year old and they wanted $250 from him for a warranty call at his home for a $3.78 part. He had to pay for the 'warranty' call but they were very kind and covered the $3.xx part... <_<

samsung and Panasonic are the only 2 i would be looking at. Check online reviews and consumer reports they all have Samsung and Panasonic 1,2. Just talk to guys at some of the smaller retail places,not future shop or best buy. Samsung makes LCD and Plasma screens for almost everyone else including sony. And yes save your money and stay away from 3D.....for now anyways.

check out the link

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-high-definition-tvs/

Edited by bowslayer

i have 3 samsungs all have been reliable. the latest Un8000 series samsung in 64" is quite the tv. 3d has been out for years lots of tvs and almost all av receivers are ready for it there is really no premium on the technology now.

lack of programming isnt a huge problem like surround processors modern units matrix 3d images its not quite as good as a dedicated 3d recording.

personally i have no interest in 3d but all my av gear accepts it..

Hey . . . .. thanks for all the input, guys . . . one more question, do these fancy LCD & plazma TV's record just 'normal' HD DVD's? I do have a Sony DVD player / recorder . . . not HD though? (Maybe e e e e my ol' XBR will hang in another few years?)

I'm a big sports guy and because of that own a Panasonic Plasma.

When purchasing my set a couple of years ago I found that even the most expensive LCD units suffered from motion blur when watching fast moving sports like hockey and racing. If you're not a sports guy go for an LCD as they use less power and are lighter in weight.

Also go big!!!!

My living room is 15'X15' and I have a 50". It's a good size for the room, but the first day I had it I thought that I went too big. It only took a day for me to realize that I didn't. :)

Although I now think a 60" would be nice. :whistling:

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Just finished 9 months of research and looking at many different models plasma and LCD. I bought a plasma Panasonic Viera GT THX. It's a higher end but I'll share what I learned. On a good plasma you can place it it any room regardless of light. Again a better plasma has a very wide viewing angle. My choice came down to the Samsung Smart TV (LCD) and the Panasonic plasma GT. it was a dead heat except I found the colour on the Panasonic just richer and the Samsung was a little too bright and contrasty.

It all comes down to colour and sharpness so watch that settings on the tv are not set to high so it looks better under the store lights

I have 2 Vieras now and both are great

Edited by Fang

Hey . . . .. thanks for all the input, guys . . . one more question, do these fancy LCD & plazma TV's record just 'normal' HD DVD's? I do have a Sony DVD player / recorder . . . not HD though? (Maybe e e e e my ol' XBR will hang in another few years?)

The TV doesn't do anything other than show you the pic. What ever you use to recorder will be broadcast in the same manner. Don't stress about it, just to get a nice new TV

I also hate the blur when looking at a LED screen. I bought a Panasonic with plasma screen and love it. Do not believe all the hype about having a dark room to see the screen.

You can use any dvd player with the new televisions but the H.D. dvd players are not expensive anyway so why not be able to see your movies in high definition.

I also bought a Samsung home theater system.....the sound is awesome.