Need Recommendations for Lake/Area of Ontario to buy a Cottage

manjo39

Hi All, currently we are fortunate enough to own a waterfront cottage on Sturgeon Lake on the south end. The fishing is excellent (I fish for Walleye, LMB, SMB and panfish) and I am a happy camper when at the cottage. However, the wife and kids would like to swim in weedless water. I wouldn't mind a swim in our plus 30 days of summer either. Our cottage has pretty thick weeds from about 6 feet from shore onward. Good for fishing. Our option for swimming is to drive up to the Bobcaygeon beach. Ideally, we would like to swim off our dock.

I am only familiar with the Kawarthas. I am looking for recommendations for other parts of Ontario (lakes or regions) that have good fishing and good swimming opportunities. We live on Highway 400 near Bass Pro, so going north would be easy (besides the traffic). Ideally within a 2 hour drive. Currently takes us 1 3/4 hours to get to Sturgeon Lake, Lindsay.

Edited by manjo39

It's kinda not ideal but have you considered getting a permit to cut down some of the weeds ? Removes *some* fish habitat but gives you clear swim space. I'd go this route before looking for another cottage, unless of course you want a change of scenery wink.gif

I love Sturgeon lake and the area, and we have great neighbours.

I also should have mentioned we also get a lot of 'prop chop'. Weeds that are chopped up by boat propellers and float on the surface. They accumlate on our shore out about 10 feet floating on the surface. Its a futile battle with these weeds.

My advice would be to stay on the Trent System. Apparently the Haliburton lakes are down several feet so far this summer and will likely fall further. Perhaps 6-9 ft at the north end. Muskoka -pretty but pressured and no Muskie.

As you know water levels are stable May-Oct on the Trent.

Pretty tough to beat the Trent for fishing. Numbers/size/species.

Boating. Proximity to home. Nuff said.

Look at the north end of Sturgeon, Pigeon. Lower Buckhorn or Stoney.

You want a hard bottom off the dock. Preferably deeper water.

I'm at the north end of Pigeon. My only complaint is weekend boat traffic. Jetskis and wakeboard boats.

Peter

i hear you about the kawartha lakes weed. i grew up on lake huron and didnt know what a weed was..i do alot of boating and fishing in the buckhorn area and its weed central.

im always looking at listings in the parry sound area. i prefer that drive over hwy11.

i spend some time in the area and i find the lakes there to have alot to offer, you can find a weedy back bay like the kawarthas, and a big deep cold area like temagami, there isnt buckets of weeds of the dock, it seems to offer all of the types of fishing/swimming i like.

when i find something it will be in that area.

How about up near Parry Sound? I have weed free swimming at my cottage. Sandy beach on part of the lot, deeper water to dive into other part of lot, only 9 cottages on the whole lake! Although i like Kawarthas for musky fishing, I find cottaging WAY better up that way. Shoot...we've debated selling for the last year or 2...make me an offer I can't refuse :)

G-Bay is beautiful and mostly weed-free, but it's also a bit cold for swimming until the peak of the summer.

Hard to beat the Kawarthas for all-around good fishing, warmer waters for swimming, consistent level control and access to civilization, but they are euthrophic lakes. Have you considered looking at smaller areas within the lakes you already know? There are places on Sturgeon, Pigeon and Cameron that have few weeds, with deeper harder bottoms.

I think woodenboater is onto an idea that should be fully explored. Selling/buying/moving will cost you a lot of money. Be realistic and calculate how much that might be. Now look at the various things you could do to seriously improve your waterfront using that money. I have a buddy on a small eutrophic lake. He bought a couple of big rolls of heavy landscaper fabric and rolled them out on the bottom before he put his dock in. His dock area is completely weed-free, now in his 3rd season. He thinks he might have to re-do it not next summer, but the year after. Cheap and environmentally benign.

I have a substantial bias towards Georgian Bay, because I landscape so beautiful. Have you considered a cottage on an island?

I haven't considered a cottage on an island. My first thoughts are difficult to commute back and forth on and off.

G-Bay is beautiful and mostly weed-free, but it's also a bit cold for swimming until the peak of the summer.

Hard to beat the Kawarthas for all-around good fishing, warmer waters for swimming, consistent level control and access to civilization, but they are euthrophic lakes. Have you considered looking at smaller areas within the lakes you already know? There are places on Sturgeon, Pigeon and Cameron that have few weeds, with deeper harder bottoms.

I think woodenboater is onto an idea that should be fully explored. Selling/buying/moving will cost you a lot of money. Be realistic and calculate how much that might be. Now look at the various things you could do to seriously improve your waterfront using that money. I have a buddy on a small eutrophic lake. He bought a couple of big rolls of heavy landscaper fabric and rolled them out on the bottom before he put his dock in. His dock area is completely weed-free, now in his 3rd season. He thinks he might have to re-do it not next summer, but the year after. Cheap and environmentally benign.

Thanks for the suggestion about calculating moving costs. I will look into it.

I haven't considered a cottage on an island. My first thoughts are difficult to commute back and forth on and off.

That's normal. You'll find that you simply organize for the trip over, and the boat ride is a real separation between city mindset and cottage mindset.

For certain, it's not for everyone, but people who like it, really like it.

In terms of the water temps, I think the coldest water I've ever swum in was up in Tobermory, if memory serves.

However, in the Archipelago, south of Parry Sound, you'll find the water warmer than the Muskoka Lakes or Lake of Bays. I've never understood why, because there is deep water everywhere. Temperatures depend on where you are on the Bay...

That's normal. You'll find that you simply organize for the trip over, and the boat ride is a real separation between city mindset and cottage mindset.

For certain, it's not for everyone, but people who like it, really like it.

Agreed.

We did the island cottage thing for quite a few years. On Gloucester Pool. I loved the island separation, my wife not so much. There were some real pros and cons to it and they usually balanced out.

Like, people couldn't just drop in unexpectedly but it took Hydro One a coon's age to get there when a tree came down on your power line.

I am on a smaller lake in the Kawarthas and love it. However, I have considered moving onto the Trent. From the research I have done, Cameron would be my first choice for 2 reasons. Location and size. I dont want to be on a large body of water like Balsam, but I love the idea of being sandwiched between a couple nice size bodies of water. There are some great sandy areas on the lake and you are surrounded by good fishing.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks for the suggestion about calculating moving costs. I will look into it.

Without getting into the detailed calculations, I estimated that it would cost about $15,000-$20,000 to sell, move, buy. (commission, lawyer, land tranfer tax, moving expenses etc) Wow!

Without getting into the detailed calculations, I estimated that it would cost about $15,000-$20,000 to sell, move, buy. (commission, lawyer, land tranfer tax, moving expenses etc) Wow!

Don't forget the capital gains tax if it has gone up in value. Just thought I would mention because it wasn't listed. I have had several clients recently who have not factored this in.

Have you priced cottages going north from where you live? I was just up at a beautiful lake, east of Parry Sound. There were a couple of cottages for sale and both were over $700,000. Yikes!

I live on Pigeon with your same predicament and have considered moving, but the prices are just crazy. I chose the pool route. Water levels have also been mentioned here, which you should be aware of in the Haliburton area. The larger lakes in the Bancroft area are beautiful, but the walleye fishing lacks. Great bass fishing though and some decent pike fishing. There are other smaller bodies of water that offer some walleye action though.

Never an easy decision!