Props

mike rousseau

A stainless prop could help you. Usually you go up a pitch when going to stainless. That helps top speed. You will probably need to try out a couple of different props to see which works best for you. A good prop shop should be able to help. Stainless is great for lakes with sandy bottoms. I boated and fished Georgian Bay, Ive seen what happens to an aluminum prop when it hits a shoal, it gets shredded and the skeg gets mangled, thats usually it. A stainless prop doesnt break and transfers the impact right on up, wrecking the prop shaft causing thousands in damage. Terry, the hubs may help but ultimately the blades dont shear off easily and damage will occur. Lew, you got Real lucky. Ranger, i would try out a prop that is lower in pitch to get some bow lift, you will probably lose a bit of speed but it may work. it sounds like you have more than just prop issues. Has Lund been any help? What about Yamaha?

Mike because the SS does not flex under take off load it gets a better holeshot , I went up 2 pitches from my aluminum prop and found no loss in my bottom end. this is on a 150 hp motor with a ranger ( heavy) boat.

Art

http://www.mercurymarine.com/propellers/prop-selector/#

i prefer stainless steel, better performance on my 150 motor, it all comes down to you can get a stainless prop tailered to your excact needs.

i currently use a 4 bladed piranna prop that helps with hole shot and cornering duty it's a 24 pitch with some cupping on the blades and it allows me to run 60 mph @ 5100rpm i ould pick up some top end just swirching to a 3 bladed fury and maybe dropping to a 23 pitch as i can run the engine at 5800 with out issues

The way I grind up props, I couldn't afford to be replacing/repairing stainless, and I'm sure my prop shaft would be warped among other things.

Right now I'm trying out the 2 piece units, so I just. Replace the blades, and the hub stays. Also a nice way to change pitch for conditions/load.

I don't think I would see much gain on a 40hp with stainless anyways. 30mph is fast enough for me.

S.

hey bigbuck, I don't think I have any serious issues just set up issues.

I hit great rpms and speed at wot.

75hp yamaha tiller 6000rpm hits 38.5mph with full tank. With 2 dogs and 2 passengers I can get 36-38 depending on water conditions.

Just want to get the boat out of the water a little more for efficiency and handling.

hey bigbuck, I don't think I have any serious issues just set up issues. I hit great rpms and speed at wot. 75hp yamaha tiller 6000rpm hits 38.5mph with full tank. With 2 dogs and 2 passengers I can get 36-38 depending on water conditions. Just want to get the boat out of the water a little more for efficiency and handling.

Without looking up the specs, I'd say 6000 RPM is spinning a little quicker than necessary.

I'd recommend going up a little in pitch (ex. 17 to 19) in an aluminium prop for starters and give some consideration to a 4 blade. A Vortex 4 blade can be had for about $120.

Once you have your pitch & diameter dialed in you can then consider a stainless for better performance and keep the aluminium for a spare.