Props

mike rousseau

My spare prop for my 50 Honda is a Merc prop. Bought it from J&J Marine. That's all I can tell you Mike. The down side to a Stainless, is if you hit something, can cause more internal damage than a aluminum. You could call J&J and ask him 905 768 9188 Just a thought.

• 5 months later...

Mike

That prop should go on no problem, around here I sell aluminum props to Honda owners all the time, lots of rock here. The 40 50 and 60 hp will use the same prop, just in different pitches. We replace aluminum Honda props with Yamaha because Yamaha is easier to repair, SS props on the other hand repair very good. When in doubt look for an NMPA shop.

DB.

people don't understand modern ss props

it's like the guys who tell you not to store your battery on cement

old info and not valid anymore

well same with ss props

as far as I know all newer ss props have the rubber hub in them that breaks easier then the aluminum on your aluminum props

so there is no damage to the rest of your engine

ss props are the way to go, unless you are hitting rocks daily

Edited by Terry

I bounced my SS off rocks twice on the West Arm of Nippissing last summer and it survived both hits with nothing more than a bit of road rash.

I blame the 1st hit on Tybo and the 2nd on Art....that's my story and I'm sticking to it :lol::lol:

I bounced my SS off rocks twice on the West Arm of Nippissing last summer and it survived both hits with nothing more than a bit of road rash.

I blame the 1st hit on Tybo and the 2nd on Art....that's my story and I'm sticking to it :lol::lol:

Well if you hadn't been drinking and trying to show me how fast the boat could go we would have never run OVER that island. It was not the little rash on the prop that was bad it was removing the pine trees from the rub rails that made it a pain in the butt.

Art

Well if you hadn't been drinking and trying to show me how fast the boat could go we would have never run OVER that island. It was not the little rash on the prop that was bad it was removing the pine trees from the rub rails that made it a pain in the butt.

Art

Yer right Art, I should lay off those COKES when we're going warp 7 :lol::lol:

I'm look'n to put a stainless on my 75 hp Yamaha this

year.

I've heard some shops will let you try a few to find

the right one.

Anybody know of such a place?

Also, what's the average price for 16 & 17" ss prop.

I'm think'n on a merc 3 blade SS with the flo torq lll hub kit.

I'm just not sure what model to get.

Hi Lew,

I've heard that as well. I not looking for performance improvements just more bow lift and less prop cavitation.

I had to lift the motor another hole (now its on the 3 hole down) to get the cav plate 1/2" above the bottom of the hull which should get my cav plate just above the water when running.

Currently I have to trim almost all the way just to get some bow lift.

Talking to some guys in walleye central they say Yamaha props are stern lifting props and merc are bow lifting. Not sure if there is any truth to it, that's why II want to try one before dropping 500+ on a prop haha!

I've heard the same about the SS props.. They have much more bow lift. I was talking to a guy who lives in high altitude, and was loosing a lot of power on his Merc 75 hp 4S. Same boat as mine 18' Alaskan but his is a single console where mine is a tiller. With my extra weight in the back I thought bow lift would not be an issue but it is.. I can only get the front 1/2 of the boat out of the water even when alone and my cav plate was still just slightly under the water when running unless I fully trimmed out.

He said once he lifted to the 3rd hole down and put a SS Merc prop on he barely has to touch the trim to get all but the last 1/4 of the hull out of the water. So I can imagine with the right prop I probably will have to barely trim at all to lift my tiller out of the water :)

I'm pretty much at the max performance, I can hit 6000rpm and run 38mph gps by myself with a full tank of gas and between 35 & 38 with 2 people and my dogs (65lbs each), which is confirmed on my phone and Garmin 278c. This is plenty fast for me LOL!

I would really like to try a SS before investing the cash tho..

"And he explained that there are no performance gains with a stainless prop on a 50hp..."

I know for a fact that he is wrong.

Sooo

Care to explain then?

We are a trying to learn about props... If your gunna say someone is wrong... You should say WHY he's wrong... So we can learn...

Also

Anyone that experienced performance gain with a SS prop... Was it the exact same pitch and diameter of your aluminum? Or different specs?

Edited by Mike Rousseau