What ever happened to "The Next Big Thing"

Steve

Not sure about another 'Fish'n Canada flop'.

I remember back in the late 70's- early 80's the brothers Reno and Angelo Viola owned a home on my paper route.

As a tween i thought they were odd but...a few years later they opened big fishing store in the 'Shwa there Barclays.

Fish n' Canada eventually happened and lasted a long while. It brought us Pete Bowman who i thought was great.

Many of the lakes and techniques he used i tried successfully.

Now nearly 30 yrs. later i would say after seeing their humble beginnings in south end Oshawa to near Canadian fishing celebs isn't flopping but a testament to fishing abilities.

They should just get Pete Bowman and fish southern Ontario lakes like in their beginning.

Edited by ehg

I was under the impression that this was the season ending cliff hanger and next season's first episode will reveal the choice. This would also allow them to tape the up coming season this spring, summer and fall.

That makes perfect sense.

It brought us Pete Bowman who i thought was great.

They should just get Pete Bowman and fish southern Ontario lakes like in their beginning.

Agreed.

Pete Bowman and Angelo Viola filmed an episode at Eddie's camp in late May. Not sure when it'll air, but I'll be looking forward to seeing it.

By all accounts fishing was kind of tough for them, although they got a couple of larger fish.

I think they had the wrong guide. :D

I don't know if you guys remember, way back in the early 80's around the time Realy Fishing started there was a low budget fishing show on TVO called Fish-on. A lot of guys got their start there, one of them being Pete Bowman. Considering the money available to create a Canadian Fishing show (or Canadian shows all together) it wasn't that bad, and it was pretty informative. As well there was NO product placement or promotion like it is now. I think it only ran for a few seasons but it was pretty good. Aside from Red Fisher, it really got me hooked (no pun) on fishing.

Pete Bowman and Angelo Viola filmed an episode at Eddie's camp in late May. Not sure when it'll air, but I'll be looking forward to seeing it.

By all accounts fishing was kind of tough for them, although they got a couple of larger fish.

I would venture to say the right guy for that job was busy playing Lincoln Logs.

well they sure had their flops

last cast or whatever that show was called...crash and burn

then it was when they all dressed in black and smack talked slapping the fish back into the water

swearing and throwing stuff at the guy who was driving the RV...yeah 60 year old bad boy fishermen......crash and burn and I have never watch them again after that

Well, I was there when they were filming at Eddie's. I was very impressed at the professionalism and genuine good nature of the personalities and staff that made up the film crew. Pete Bowman was especially good natured and quick witted, while Angelo I found to be very gracious and easy to talk to.

I don't know if you guys remember, way back in the early 80's around the time Realy Fishing started there was a low budget fishing show on TVO called Fish-on. A lot of guys got their start there, one of them being Pete Bowman. Considering the money available to create a Canadian Fishing show (or Canadian shows all together) it wasn't that bad, and it was pretty informative. As well there was NO product placement or promotion like it is now. I think it only ran for a few seasons but it was pretty good. Aside from Red Fisher, it really got me hooked (no pun) on fishing.

I watched that show. To this day that is what me and my brother will say when we set the hook. I don't remember Pete but I'm sure I was far too young at the time. :whistling:

For nostalgia I looked for the show on TVO's site but didn't find it.

Edit to add

Looks like it was a year and a half ago:

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=51251

Edited by kickingfrog

I think Ang, Pete and Reno have done a pretty good job over the years. Not every venture will be a home run, but at least they try different things. The fact the show is still around after all this time says a lot. It isn't easy to make a full-time living that way.

Years ago a friend of mine and myself fished a bass tourney on Buckhorn---early 80's

Bob Izumi was there and so was Reno and Ang---I remember they were trying to get a bass Canada Tourney trail off the ground

I think it went for a short time

Anyway it's 2012 and we're still using their name---must of done something right---I like FNC actually

Re: that tourney---my then partner (and school friend) went on to be one of Canada's best bass anglers and has been winning consistently for many years (I try not to be a name dropper so I won't tell who)

and your anonomously went on to be one of the 6th best near sighted 6 fingered fish painters

Ooh Dad TUC.jpg

Would this be the second time they went up there? I have Seen an episode this year where the were Fishing spring pike on the attawapiskat river. Can't recall the date I saw it though.

The show they did last on that river was Pym Island with Hurst air.

I was also at Eddie's camp when the boys were in shooting a show. Great guys to hang out with and very down to earth. Enjoyed their company. I see nothing wrong with trying new things. At least they know when to pull the plug if it's going down hill. I wish I had a chance to guide them for a day. It had been my 7th time up there since Eddie opened camp and I am getting to know the waters well. I was too busy though building a new cabin for the camp with another member from this board. I voted for Paul.

FishinCanada.jpg

Cabin.jpg

Edited by Skud

In the fall of 2010, I had the pleasure of fishing with some of the biggest names in the industry and fished in the FNC boat with Pete out on the bay of Quinte. Pete is a total class act and he sure knows his stuff! He had me laughing all day long! By far one of the best/coolest few days I've ever had.

If they're still looking for their next host.... I have one thing to say... "Pick me! Pick me! Pick me!"