100.000 Walleye Stocked in Hamilton Harbor

Fish Farmer

That drives me nuts.... whoever nicknamed them "Pickeral" in the first place needs to take up a different hobby!

A Walleye is a Walleye... a Pickeral is a Pickeral.... :wallbash:

At one time in Ontario, loooong before you were born, they were ALWAYS called pickeral and walleye was a term only used by Americans.

Your right though Stoty, pickeral isn't the proper name for them but for 1000's of folks, ...mostly older and me included...pickeral is still the name of them and always will be.

Edited by lew

At one time in Ontario, loooong before you were born, they were ALWAYS called pickeral and walleye was a term only used by Americans.

Your right though Stoty, pickeral isn't the proper name for them but for 1000's of folks, ...mostly older and me included...pickeral is still the name of them and always will be.

http://www.ontariowalleyefishing.com/walleye-biology.html

The name walleye was chosen by some think tank in 1933, my dad called them yellow and blue pickeral in Lake Erie since he predated that , the Americans on Erie called them yellow and blue pike from what I remember in the 50's.

Back 20 yrs. ago + they were officially referred to as " yellow pickeral" in all MNR literature.

Only since the term walleye has been used in Canada.

Anyways, any attempt at stocking them in Lake Ontario is good despite whatever. They are native to the lake and could thrive if industry cleaned up. Apparently they spawn on wind blown shallow rock shoals not up rivers.

The big walleye/yellow pickeral in my avatar was caught in northwest Lake Ontario. Always thought a world record sized one would come out of there.

I had heard a few years ago that the rock islands near the Skyway (with the seagulls and cormorants) were going to be "redesigned". Basically the islands were going to be lengthened and narrowed so that they would be below the water surface and the birds would not have a place to roost or land. I think the intention was going to be the creation of more smallmouth bass habitat in that particular area.

I haven't seen any movement on that front and my discussions with some ppl knowledgeable to the discussions don't have any update really. I just don't understand why such an obvious problem isn't being addressed to some degree.... :wallbash:

They didnt learn from the first time they did this????

The fish simply left, I dont think a single fish was ever caught from the first time they stocked eyes in there.

What a complete waste of money and time!

They should put 10,000 fingerling muskies in there to help clean up the rough fish population and then you may have a fun catch and release ( not consume ) fishery.

Darren

There were not near as many gobies back them , maybe the fact that food is plentiful now may help is the idea behind it? I personally love the musky idea though. Wish i could catch them close to home.

All I know Lew is,when I say pop,want to go pickeral fishing.he knows what I,m talking about. :canadian:

When were gone Lew, the youngins can have their way, but old sounds good to me to. Just like the new phrase Drop Shotting (Pickeral rig) or (Perch setup).

All I know Lew is,when I say pop,want to go pickeral fishing.he knows what I,m talking about. :canadian:

Right on buddy :good:

Edited by Fish Farmer

We have been stocking young walleye on the West Arm of Lake Nipissing for some 25 years now.

The size of fish shown in the top picture of this post is normal for fingerlings.... soon after they reach that length (2-inches) they start to cannibalize themselves and must be released prior to that event.

We have released an average of 20,000 fingerlings at this end of Nipissing each year and the MNR fall Index Netting Studies show an average of 25% more fish from the nets tests in the West Arm, compared to netting studies from the rest of Nipissing. This I believe is a strong indication of the success of our stocking program.

There is nothing "natural" about sport fishing, commercial fishing and ice fishing... When we take out more fish than the lake can reproduce naturally then we need to either stop fishing (what?) or put back in what we took out.

The yellow walleye was introduced to Lake Nipissing in the early 1920s and was never "natural" to this lake.

Tight Lines...

the cap't

:Gonefishing:

Bravo Capt Hooked. It should be obvious to all but either limiting catches substantially or stocking to make up for the mortality of kept fish are the only way to maintain a good fishery. Unfortunately the MNR seems to think that a hands off approach to stocking and law enforcement will work and , like virtually everything government, they are wrong, wrong wrong.

With no offence to the U.S born folks around here this could be taken as part of the American invasion of the north. The incident of 1812 still lives on! They couldn't take the north by force so they bought their way in by purchasing our brand names. Home Depot bought Atkinheads, Walmart bought Woolco, Best Buy bought Future Shop, Banana Republic, the Gap, Business Depot, Office Depot, Dollar Tree, U.S Steel buys STELCO, Target buys Zellers (they were much the same anyway with nothing I want to buy) Lowes and now Lowes is attempting to buy Rona! And think of this, every auto manufacturer except for offshore is U.S owned.

Then to slap Canadians in the face with a fish tale they rename our sacred pickeral WALLEYE!!! How dare they do that to us!

Stand up! Raise your maple leaf! And declare that "I AM Canadian! The fish is not called Walleye! It is a Pickeral! And may it roam our waters strong and FREE!"

Now, may I appologize, I have an excuss for this as I have been awake since 3AM and can't sleep, I am a tired old soul... :dunno::sleeping_02:

Edit: Don't forget Bass Pro Shops... :D

Edited by pikehunter

With no offence to the U.S born folks around here this could be taken as part of the American invasion of the north. The incident of 1812 still lives on! They couldn't take the north by force so they bought their way in by purchasing our brand names. Home Depot bought Atkinheads, Walmart bought Woolco, Best Buy bought Future Shop, Banana Republic, the Gap, Business Depot, Office Depot, Dollar Tree, U.S Steel buys STELCO, Target buys Zellers (they were much the same anyway with nothing I want to buy) Lowes and now Lowes is attempting to buy Rona! And think of this, every auto manufacturer except for offshore is U.S owned.

Then to slap Canadians in the face with a fish tale they rename our sacred pickeral WALLEYE!!! How dare they do that to us!

Stand up! Raise your maple leaf! And declare that "I AM Canadian! The fish is not called Walleye! It is a Pickeral! And may it roam our waters strong and FREE!"

Now, may I appologize, I have an excuss for this as I have been awake since 3AM and can't sleep, I am a tired old soul... :dunno::sleeping_02:

Edit: Don't forget Bass Pro Shops... :D

Nothing against the U.S.

Right on Harry, and we still see line-ups going over the border to shop on the holidays :wallbash: Won't be long before we see the flag change. I was at a resort up north in June that fly a half&half flag,CA/US, never thought that was legal, but it was probably made in ? I don't even see why we have a border. Give it time, we are sheep in foreign made clothing. We must get laughed at a lot down south with our leaders, just for starters the hydro 190 million dollar boondoggle us tax payers have to pay for. And the man stands up and says it's was his fault and says I'm sorry. And that makes it OK :worthy::wallbash:

Our U.S. OFC'ers that haven't seen it in your comedy sections in your paper, I just gave you your morning smile. :D