100.000 Walleye Stocked in Hamilton Harbor

Fish Farmer

Two wrongs don't make a right, Billy Bob!

:P

OH.......OK...............................then they are............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

WALLEYES

I got a true pickerel once (acturally two of them).. in a small lake near the French River... It looked like a short, fat pike... same thing... but different.. and totally different bone structure... when filleted... and the taste was incredible..!

I have never seen another pickerel since and only occasionally have I met someone who has ever caught a pickerel.

Although lots of local people claim they do.... every day.... :D

Out west.. they call northen pike.. "jack" and in Carolina... they have a small pike they also call "jack".

But I figure most of us don't know jack...!

:lol:

I got a true pickerel once (acturally two of them).. in a small lake near the French River... It looked like a short, fat pike... same thing... but different.. and totally different bone structure... when filleted... and the taste was incredible..!

I have never seen another pickerel since and only occasionally have I met someone who has ever caught a pickerel.

Although lots of local people claim they do.... every day.... :D

Out west.. they call northen pike.. "jack" and in Carolina... they have a small pike they also call "jack".

But I figure most of us don't know jack...!

:lol:

REAL PICKEREL ...see the 3 fish in the middle.....

OneidaLake5-2-09.jpg

OneidaLakewithBilly5-21-11010.jpg

We actually got real pickerel here too, as a kid we sometimes got what my dad called grass pike in the Welland river back in the 60's, looking now I'm pretty sure they were these guys, they were different from the normal pike we caught both in colour and shape. Anyone down Erie way seen any lately?

http://publications.gc.ca/collections/Collection/CW69-14-436-2005E.pdf

But at that size they are barely bigger then fry.......and their survival rate will be VERY low.....

Oneida Lake in Central NYS has a hatchery right across the street from the lake.....they have been for years stocking fry in that lake....100 MILLION each and every year with the hopes of a 1% return. However, in recent years they have now been raising some of the walleyes to fingerlings as they have a MUCH better survival rate.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/21666.html

More hatchery info......

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7742.html

Edited by Billy Bob

But at that size they are barely bigger then fry.......and their survival rate will be VERY low.....

I agree whole heartedly. At that size and knowing the area well I suspect most will end up in the bellies of young perch, sunfish and rock bass that are numerous there.

Not called walleyes in Buffalo, NY, USA but rather YELLOW PIKE

Exactly, fish names are a regional thing, that's my point. We are all right, well at least to a point as they are really called PICKEREL! :tease::jerry::rofl2:

Agree with you Siel that it is a shame most will end up in the line at the buffet table for the bigger fish. I suppose though the best will survive and with so many fishing folks not keeping bay fish for the table we can only hope that the few remaining will end up growing up to be large breeders...and just think of it this way, those offspring will enjoy the benefits of having 3 eyes and multiple fins! :w00t:

Nice variety catch there Billy....especially the pickerel. Enjoyed the photo. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by pikehunter

Oneida Lake in Central NYS has a hatchery right across the street from the lake.....they have been for years stocking fry in that lake....100 MILLION each and every year with the hopes of a 1% return. However, in recent years they have now been raising some of the walleyes to fingerlings as they have a MUCH better survival rate.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/21666.html

More hatchery info......

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7742.html

Thanks for the links.....

:Gonefishing:

when I was in grade 7 or 8 I saw a guy catch a 6 pound walleye from lasalle. me and my friend actually netted it for him, then netted a huge bass a guy caught with his daughter a few minutes later. I would think that walleye was a stocked fish, but we never looked for any tags or anything. So there could be a few walleye that will survive to grow that big as well.