Legend Boats

Matt Janes

I do plan to shop around but buying new is almost a must as my bank can't offer a personal loan for less than 7 percent and it would have to be paid back quicker making for a much larger monthly payment (which I realize is better interest wise). The total monthly payment is key for me. As for more boat for the price on a brand new boat, any suggestions? Forgot to mention that the max towing capacity of my vehicle is about 1200 pounds. This 15 Angler is pretty much max (i think).

Edited by Matt Janes

I do plan to shop around but buying new is almost a must as my bank can't offer a personal loan for less than 7 percent and it would have to be paid back quicker making for a much larger monthly payment (which I realize is better interest wise). The total monthly payment is key for me. As for more boat for the price on a brand new boat, any suggestions? Forgot to mention that the max towing capacity of my vehicle is about 1200 pounds. This 15 Angler is pretty much max (i think).

post #45

Don’t do it.

If you take the boat out 30 times a year for the next 5; a total of 150 water days.

27k\150 =$180/trip + + + + + you are at $250

save up some cash...

for 7500 you are in the market for some real nice boats.

7500\150 =$50+++ you can have a nice on the water for $150 day

conclusion... buy used and you can run for free for around 4 years?

Any thoughts?

I just couldn't imagine being locked into payments for 15 years on such a small boat like that and paying double the price in interest.

Just my thoughts, but why not just hold off for a couple years and save your money until you can pay cash for it and save a small fortune on interest.

I couldn't even enjoy fishing from a boat knowing it would take 15 years just to pay for it, but that's just me. :dunno:

Wow! For a couple grand more you can get yourself into a Lund with at least a 60 on it!

Last winter when I was pricing out my purchase, a Legend xtreme with a 60hp 4st with basic accessories on it was more expensive than a bigger Lund with a 90hp 4st on it, with pimped out accessories.

Hey All,

Thought I would update as I went to the dealer today. So we are strongly considering the 15 Angler. With 40HP 4 stroke and fees and a couple add ons it comes to basically 18000, including taxes. The guy was offering 6.5% interest over 15 years making the monthly payments very attractive at 150 a month. I realize over 15 years it's probably 15000 in interest but it really is a nice boat, especially in person. Now I have a difficult decision to make. Any thoughts? It seems like I can't get a decent side console fishing boat for under 15000 with a reasonable motor...

Edited by Crunchy

You must rally really want a new boat a hell of alot to go in debt $150 a month, especially for that long. I know not everyone can pay cash for what they "think" they need in life but I believe I'd rather buy a cheaper new boat or a similiar used one. Something I could afford.

My father once told me this, "If you can't pay cash for it then that means you can't afford it." I try to live by those words as best as I can. Just my opinion, don't be phased by all the shine of a showroom beauty. It will soon fade with the first scratch or the first time you run the motor into the shop and look at the $500 bill sitting on the counter, the $150 payment bill in one hand and your now empty wallet in the other.

Sorry to be a killjoy but "Dems da facts son."

Lots of great advice on this thread. I agree with many here, don't rush into something that will put you in debt for that long. I purchased my Legend Pro Sport three years ago used, lucked out and found a virtually brand new 2009 model for a great deal.

If you can last the rest of this year without a boat, wait until fall, THAT is when the best deals are to be found!

I strongly encourage u to buy a 16' boat with a wider beam. It will make your shorter boat seem much bigger. I would look for a beam of 80 or more inches.

And I think u r spending away too much with poor financing on that boat.

Don't forget that you need to account for repairs and upkeep after the 4th year or so and paying monthly fees plus upkeep will be really annoying for 15 yrs.

I bought a 2007 crest liner fish hawk with 16 verified hours on the engine and two years left on the motor warranty for 10,250$ plus hst. Bought in the states. It is usually your best bet. Buy in the fall. If you are patient and you narrow in on a particular model or models then you will find a steaI.

I would walk in the other direction from that deal!!!!!!

Landry

you may want to rethink the 15 year loan for a 18000 boat. 9k in interest is a bit ridiculous. i would wait until you had some money for a down payment, it will bring your monthly payments down considerably and you wont have to take 15 years to pay the boat off.

in 5 , 10 or even 15 years are your needs the same? do you think you will still be happy with that boat in that time? in 10 years you will probably still owe more than what the boat will be worth. making it difficult to sell and get a new one as you will probably have to pay to get out of the boat.

also if your maxing out funds on the payments what will you do when you have repairs etc to do because you know eventually you will be forking out some cash for something.

have you seen this ad? looks decent and you could probably get him down even more than the 15k he is asking for.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-2012-16-5-FT-SMOKERCRAFT-PRO-ANGLER-161-50HP-4S-MERCURY-TRAILER-W0QQAdIdZ395551080

also on the 4 stroke / 2 stroke debate.... i went 4 stroke with my new motor and i absolutely love it. very quite, no mixing oil, trolls at very low speeds for a big motor, no smell, resale value is much better.

Forgot to mention that the max towing capacity of my vehicle is about 1200 pounds. This 15 Angler is pretty much max (i think).

You may be over your capacity with the 15' Angler already.

Add boat weight, motor weight, trailer weight, fuel weight & gear weight to start with. Also deduct from your 1200 lbs the extra weight of your passengers & other things loaded in your vehicle.

Edited by Woodsman

A 15 year loan for a fishing toy :dunno: :dunno: I couldn't sleep at night.

I have to agree with these guys. It's obvious how bad you want to hit the water but you'd be much better off in the size boat you're looking for to chill out this year, put the $150/mo away each month, and buy a used boat early next year. There is no question if it were me in this size boat I'd buy used. Additionally I'd buy from an individual vs a dealer. I've been doing his boat thing for over 40 years and I'm telling you the key to buying a boat right is patience. Between now and next summer you'll find a boat that will make you very happy at 1/4 the cost, and you'll feel a heck of a lot better for making a good purchase. In the meantime do your research. For instance, if I were buying a used aluminum hull, I would prefer a riveted hull vs. welded. Just my opinion after having had both, but I can repair a few leaky rivets no problem. I's probably also prefer a double thick hull, Lund, Alumacraft, and I think Princecraft have this. Also, make sure you look over the transom, find out how it's been stored, inside or out, because if older and it's been stored outside the transom core is likely in need of replacement. Make sure you test drive anything before making offer and take along someone that knows outboard motors. if you get to the point of making an offer, make it contingent on an outboard motor mechanic's inspection. may cost you $100 bucks but it may save you a lot more. One last thought, what about a Geisler ceder strip boat?

I think you need a tow vehicle first if your vehicle is rated for 1200lbs. And for the money you are going to spend on that legend, I'd cut that 15k budget down to 10, shop around diligently and buy used. You'll get a lot more for less. I also agree that it's crazy to finance like that.

As an example, I spent 6k on an '04 1600sc sylvan expedition with a 75hp merc. Drove to Michigan to get it. I spent four months shopping around. It's not top of the line but serves me well, was in decent condition and inexpensive for what I got IMO.. my first rig. I was able to save money from my budgeted amount and eventually get a truck to tow. Now I want to upgrade and will sell this boat next year for what I paid hopefully and look for another used package in the states.

Might want to consider your method of towing first if your planning on towing with a car and seriously consider looking for a good used package.

A well considered move from Josh.....think about it.

These guys are all correct. Listen, wait and watch for the right boat.

Btw. My van has a towing capacity of 3500 pounds but my boat package is under 2000 and I wouldn't tow a 2500 lb rig with it.

Landry

Thanks again everyone. I think all of you saved me 18000 on a boat and 9000 in interest. We decided not to go with the Legend dealer. The price was just too expensive when you factored in the motor upgrade and all the other Bull fees that they tack on a new boat. Also, I'm not sure if it is common but we couldn't even test out the boat in the water before committing to a purchase, which I thought was similar to buying a car without taking it for a test drive. Maybe this is the norm when buying a new boat? What looked like 10000 in the flyer turned out to be 18000 plus interest by the time the bill of sale was complete. Long story short, it was just too much. We only got our 14' aluminum with 15HP mercury 2 stroke this year (we only paid 1200 including the trailer) so we will enjoy it a little more before we go looking for a new (or used) boat. I liked what a lot of people said about checking in the states, it seems like there are some wicked deals to be had over there, so that is a possibility. We won't be buying before next spring. Once again thanks for the insight and info and my wallet thanks you the most!

Matt

I just couldn't imagine being locked into payments for 15 years on such a small boat like that and paying double the price in interest.

Just my thoughts, but why not just hold off for a couple years and save your money until you can pay cash for it and save a small fortune on interest.

I couldn't even enjoy fishing from a boat knowing it would take 15 years just to pay for it, but that's just me. :dunno:

Good advice here. Way too much in interest costs. I would be concerned about towing ability as well given the 1200lb capacity.