When is it Too Hot to Fish Musky Safely?

Hey everybody, I was out fishing yesterday for musky/pike yesterday and the water temps were hovereing around 79-82 degrees. I kept fishing since a guy I know was up from Quebec and wanted to fish. Never saw a musky but got into a few pike (only his 2nd ever).

My question is when is it too hot to be able to catch musky safely and release them? I was going to go out today but with how warm the water is it changed my mind, I don't want to kill any fish. Should I put my musky gear away until things cool down a bit in my area? (or I can fish further up north where the water temps are always cooler). Thanks.

There is conflicting evidence about musky mortality and water temperatures. A lot of people believe that a higher water temperature will cause a musky to experience lactic acid build up quicker. As a general rule as long as you bring the fish to the boat fast and release it quickly you should be ok. If you are really worried just do a water release. Some people will tell you that you should stop fishing when the water temperature is above 80, but I think that is a little misleading. In shallow lakes that warm quickly I think that musky have evolved, for lack of a better word, to respond better in warm water.

There is a wealth of information online on this topic. If you are interested in doing some research go to musky first and run a search.

For me I would start to be concerned about the mortality of the fish once the water temps reach 80. I would consider putting the gear away, especially on deeper lakes, at 83-85.

Edited by fishgreg

Agreed, so long as you treat it the way you should and release it properly no issues. A study has been underway in Ottawa for a couple years using different release techniques and in different temeratures and ALL muskies have survived. I think the guys name is Sean Landsman if you want to look for an article. I think Ontario Out of Doors had an article as did Musky Hunter magazine.

Those high temperature readings are close to the surface and it'll be much cooler even just a couple feet down unless your fishing very shallow water.

I like shallow water fishing myself, specially in the evenings, but when the water starts to warm up as the summer progresses I'll just move deeper and fish the cabbage patches.

I've been fishing usually in 8-15' of water (in pretty shallow lakes) so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. My main concern is it's not easy for me to do a water release when I'm fishing alone (rod length plus for my own safety if the fish thrashes while trying to unhook it can turn ugly) and if it's in the net while I unhook it it's going to be in the top 2 feet of the water column where the water is pretty damn warm. I take all precautions I can with the fish and have never lost one but don't want to start now. I never have the fish out of the water for longer than 10-15 seconds max even when I take a photo though.

I was planning on making a trip to Scugog for the day late this month with my brother but I was wondering whether I should bother, thanks for the replies guys, it's giving me some hope that I won't have to stop fishing them until September.

There is no law saying you should stop Muskie fishing when the water temps reach a certain point. Its purely a personal choice. These days most Muskie anglers are very passionate about releasing their fish as healthy as possible...For me personally, 80 degrees and I go Bass fishing...That being said, I've been Bass fishing since April in NY waters and having a blast, caught more Smallies this ever than I have in my previous 38 years!

Edited by Pigeontroller

The warmer the water, the less time they have to spend in the frying pan of oil as the flesh is already that much warmer. :whistling: Most people quit fishing for them as the water temps increase because they loose their teeth when the water temps get above 78.5 F. Or so I have been told anyways....

Cheers. Ron...

Those high temperature readings are close to the surface and it'll be much cooler even just a couple feet down unless your fishing very shallow water.

I like shallow water fishing myself, specially in the evenings, but when the water starts to warm up as the summer progresses I'll just move deeper and fish the cabbage patches.

I agree, when I release musky in warm water I try to point their head a little deeper in the water to get down to the cooler temps. They tend to wake right up and take off. :D

Muskies like all fish can and will adapt to increasing or decreasing water temps, use the proper gear to minimize the fight, and do water releases, and dont be afraid to cut hooks to speed up the release, and have everything, all release tools ready, and camera as well, but release shot only. If the fish shows some difficuly after the release, take the time to make sure that its upright, and can remain upright under its own power, at that point do not leave the fish, but stay with it circling the boat if you have to, keeping power boats seadoos etc from hitting the fish, I have stayed with fish for over an hour until the fish is ready to swim to the safety of the depths, you can and will loose fishing time, but muskies and all fish are worth the extra effort.

The warmer the water, the less time they have to spend in the frying pan of oil as the flesh is already that much warmer. :whistling: Most people quit fishing for them as the water temps increase because they loose their teeth when the water temps get above 78.5 F. Or so I have been told anyways....

Cheers. Ron...

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: That made my day, coffee on my shirt

For such a big fish that's a ferocious predator they certianly are wimpy!

The water get's pretty warm on Lake St. Clair, but like was previously said, it's usually much much cooler a few feet down.

When(and if lol) I catch them when it's warm I will just try and either leave them in the water, or get them back in the water as soon as possible.

Lately I have been releasing all of them boatside.