Heartbreak

bucktail

This is a story and sort of a report.

I dont expect anyone to believe me but my close fishing buddieson here know I dont exaggerate and I have an excellent eye for fish.

Anyway.... I had the week off and was able to spend it in Snug Harbour with my cousin and her hubby.

The weather was really good but bright and sunny with a full moon which makes for a very hard bite on Geo Bay if you have tried.

We decided to head to the Mcoys ( a real far island gruop off shore 15 mile run ).

We fished for a few hours in the inside part of the reef with only a big 20 pound northern following as a result. As I cast my Rapala Thug to a cut between to islands I had a hit and set the hook wih my Loomis Crankbait rod and immedately see a huge BLACK bass heading to the surface. When I say huge I mean ridiculas. I thrust my rod into the water to prevent her from jumping and fight her to 10 feet from the boat.

The net is in the water and she makes one more jump and throws the crank back to the boat.

I almost puked, I almost puked because I estimated her between 8-11 pounds!

I have caught smallies up to 7.5 in Simcoe and even won In-Fishermans smallie disvision a few years ago.

This fish was so large I cant estimate her. She was about 26 inches by 20 around and the funny thing was she was pitch black!

I did everything right I think and she was gone. It wasnt a fish of a lifetime but a fish of a thousand lifetimes. I wish ihad a picture of her but I dont so you all will have to beleive me. I know its a fish story now but I am really heartbroken by this.

Thought I might share my expierence with you guys and girls

Darren

Edited by bucktail

I believe ya BT----years ago I had a Giant smallie come to the surface and take a long look at a crayfish crank I was tossin over deep water on Lake of The Woods

I paused---looked long---he looked long and swam away---guess that's why they're big

I've caught many smallies in the mid to high 5's-----this one would be their leader

I know that feeling way down in your gut.:stretcher:

Was Bass fishing in a small lake with my dad.We were in a 16ft canoe, and i was using a floro green J-Plug.

I got the lure back to the boat and let it sit in the water as dad and i talked a bit. I remember seeing movement in the water close by, and looked to the side just in time to see a huge Musky,cruiseing along the surface, and swallowing my plug.The line never moved, it was justcut like a pair of scissors sliced it off.

I estimate it was 50-52 inches long and was at least 7 inches between the eyes.I thought it was a croc:w00t:

I missed a 50in+ pike this spring because I just sat there and stared at it while it inhaled my bait, then spit it back out. Missed out on a few 25+in brookies as well. No point in dwelling on it, it will only drive you insane, lol!

Edited by BillM

I missed a 50in+ pike this spring because I just sat there and stared at it while it inhaled my bait, then spit it back out. Missed out on a few 25+in brookies as well. No point in dwelling on it, it will only drive you insane, lol!

I missed what I figured was at least a 5lb smallie off the dock at camp this weekend. I did exactly that, watch in surprise as it inhaled my jig. It absolutely dwarfed all the other fish around. It spit the bait just as I was about to set the hook. On this small, clear, deep and cold lake, thats a huge bass, bigger than any I have seen before in years. It would have been nice to land it.

We have all had similar experiences, I had a possible PB muskie on a few weeks ago right behind the boat and lost it. Plus many more big ones that got away stories no one may even believe, but I digress. Its moments like these that keep us coming back for more and keeps fishing exciting. You never know when that fish of a lifetime will show up. Rest assured it will be when you least expect it... GREAT STORY!!!

It reminds me of a time last year when a friend was casting a #3 silver blue fox and a pike hit. Too big to get in a 2' deep net.Every time he went in he would fall out as he was bigger outside the net than in.Three attempts were made and my lip locker was on the top of the seat behind us.Anyway he cut the line and swam away with the lure.We got over it but every time were out we still talk about it.Could of been a 50" or close to it.lol.:wallbash:.We'll get him:lol:

I have caught smallies up to 7.5 in Simcoe and even won In-Fishermans smallie disvision a few years ago.

I remember that. :clapping:

As for your story,I can believe that aswell. When I was a we lad,my pop landed a huge smallie on GBAY. It was the biggest he had caught,and the biggest many locals had seen. Back then,my pop used that basket live well thing,over the side of the boat. Kept it in there for three days off the side of the dock,just to show me mudder,when she got up to the camp. Released right after. They are in there. I dont dought,their in Simcoe aswell.

They say the biggest bass in Ontario record will come from simcoe,the last big one from simcoe was only 3oz off. I believe the biggest one was caught in Geogian bay. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Edited by davey buoy

I lost a monster largie in a tournament 10 yrs ago. Heavy down pour all day. My hands were raw from all the rain and lipping dinks all day. Flipped a weightless tube in beside a beaver house and got a hit set the hook hard and all hell broke loose. My buddy grabs the net. Mud sticks flying around everywhere. Then a big jump and my line snaps. My buddy turns around and looks at me with eyes the size of saucers and say that the biggest largie ive ever seen had to be 8 or 9 lber. I didnt see it cause he was in the way. I said ya right Ray that was a northern right. No a monser largie, and I feel like i'm gonna puke.Been back to that same spot several times since then and nuttin. True story.