keeping only one treble hook on a jerkbait, which one?

snagged

On my 8" musky twitch baits with 3 trebles I remove the center one completely and up the front treble from 5/0 to 7/0.

Baits bigger than 8" I leave as is.

Don't know if that helps you or not....probably not :lol:

I always pull the middle treble off anyways. I agree with Sinker 100%. If i think about hook position after catching a fish on a jerk, the front treble is usually the one that sealed the deal and the rear hook is either in the cheek or off in the gills/gullet if the bait was taken from behind.

OK I have to ask why?

Went to the grand river for some smalles and I saw a sign saying only one set of hooks on a lure. Other rules they had were no live bait, no barbed hooks, and all catch and release. I release everything I catch plus never use live bait so most of the rules were fine by me. Replacing hooks on my jerkbaits was a royal pain in my @ss. I know more hooks increases hookups but sometimes the 3 trebles on a lure do seem excessive. Especially when you got a smaller fish hooked in the mouth, cheek, and body. I catch a tonne of fish on jerkbaits but I never really paid attention to which end was in the mouth. I initially thought the tail hook was the one to keep but after reading all of your posts, seems like the head treble is the one to keep. I'll pay more attention from now on and report my results at a later date.

we take the centre hooks off all our three treble salmon / trout stick baits...

for example, i don't own a ripplin redfin with the centre hook on it.

once the centre hook is removed, we upsize the front and back hooks, to keep the weight balance.

i use a jewelers digital scale to ensure the weight of the three original hooks is the same as the two new upgraded, upsized hooks.

usually is very close.

we use 2x gammy hooks or st41 owner hooks for our upgrades.

If its for pike I'd keep the front treble. For smallies though I'd keep the tail or the middle. Bass IMO, will turn on the bait and attempt to stun the bait in a lot of cases. It's not always the case though. This might require some personal experimentation for where your fishing. Just my two cents.

I got a chance to do some experimenting today and removed all the centre (belly) hooks on all my 3 hook jerkbaits. This is what I noticed:

-almost all the hookups in the mouth were with the front (head) hook

-hook up rate did go down, I would feel the hit/bite but missed

-the lure action was affected, I felt they didn't go as deep. I can see why people up the size of remaining hooks when removing the centre one to keep the same weight of the lure

Now I gotta but all my hooks back on lol

If I was to remove a hook from a crank, it would always be the tail hook.

Any predator goes for the head when they attack, and 99% of fish on cranks are on the front hook!

S.

That's funny...

I say it's 50/50 with me as far as walleye on cranks...

If I could only keep one it would be the tail hook... Because when they're are in a very aggressive mood they really grab it and the back hook should get a high percentage... And when the fish are sluggish... And they nip at it... You'll get em on the tail hook... If you only had the front hook and the fish are biting short your screwed...